• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine Failure - Need Options

grandprix104

Aug 9, 2023
Truck Year
So, I have a 2014 Jeep WK2 Summit. It is in incredibly good shape at 109k miles. I expected this deisel to last to 200k like my 99 WJ has. I am posting here as this has been where I have gotten the most useful info on this engine to date.

I have the AEM warranty and recently took the vehicle in to have the intake manifold replaced. Prior to the AEM recall, I had the EGR recall done. Then I had the AEM update. Then I got the GDE tune. I then had to have the common coolant leak at the hose connecting the turbo under the manifold fixed. While this was done, my personal mechanic showed me how the intake manifold was absolutely clogged with soot. As this was the issue that was causing engine fires, he offered to clean out the manifold as best he could. There were no parts available at that time.
Soon after, the swirl valves in the manifold got stuck and threw a code. My mechanic speculated that they needed to replace the whole manifold. I was able to get my dealership to arrange to have chrysler pay for this. They then replaced the manifold.
Shortly after, I started getting P24AE codes occasionally. The top suspected issues were the PMS sensor and an exhaust leak. The engine ran fine and I had just gotten it back from the dealer. Some posts online said it may clear if given some time. It had sat idling A LOT and do I thought I would run it on the freeway a while before taking it back in.
P24AE became less frequent.
Then P24AE started to reappear within hours of clearing it.
Then within a day I started to hear what I thought was an exhaust leak. I drove it to the dealer and left it.
Dealer says the sound was the pistons hitting the head due to crank bearing failure due to excessive fuel in the oil.
Dealer replacement cost is $24k. Cheapest used 3.0 I can find online is $6700. Car sells private party for around $14k locally.

I have read that a few people have gotten Chrysler to cover the engine replacement under AEM due to failure of the tope end components, but just as many if not more have not been successful. Given the facts above, can I even make a case under AEM for replacement?

If not, what is my best option? Sell for parts/part it out, or swap in an engine? How much should I expect to pay in a metro area for an engine swap? If I swap it, is there anything I can do to ensure at least 50K additional lifespan? I am not sure it is worth swapping the engine in order to sell it as I would only make a few grand.

Thanks for your help.