• The official site for FCA settlement information and questions is located at https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/
  • Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine failure

Nels576

Feb 12, 2021
Truck Year
My 2016 RAM 1500 ecodiesel running 74 mph on cruise suddenly down shifted to 7 gear, a few seconds later it down shifted to 6 the gear, I cancelled the cruise and immediately had a loss of oil pressure message pop up on the message center, oil gauge on zero.
Braked hard to the shoulder and shut engine off. No visible fluids.
Truck would not crank over.
Dealer says engine is seized.
They have drained the oil and think there are minor metallic s in the oil.
Truck has 104 K miles
Anyone else have this experience?

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
welcome 2 the group engine failure is pretty common with the eco plus many other problems is this your first problem with this truck

Nels576

Feb 12, 2021
Truck Year
No, EGR valve and actuator about 90k
EGR cooler about 99k.
Also have/ had a noise that sounded like an exhaust leak. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong after two days.
Told them something wrong and jokingly said I'd bring it back when it blows up, didn't realize that would actually happen so soon

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
No, EGR valve and actuator about 90k
EGR cooler about 99k.
Also have/ had a noise that sounded like an exhaust leak. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong after two days.
Told them something wrong and jokingly said I'd bring it back when it blows up, didn't realize that would actually happen so soon
I have spoke to more then a handful of 3.0VM on third Motor, My math calculations that 15,789 VM 3.0 have been shipped crated to NA. That's 2 per 10 failures relate to Rotating mass, this does NOT include all the fires for the engine was not needed.

Nels576

Feb 12, 2021
Truck Year
Certainly does sound good, been a good truck till it hit 90k, my brothers 14 has 140k with only EGR and cooler repairs. Switching dealer for repairs, local dealer does not have a dedicated diesel mechanic. Thanks for the info, even if disheartening

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The only protection for owners from financial ruin are OA Trends, The Analysis during the trends will disclose weather you have a Hero or Zero.

If you do not decommission the AECD the longer the ownership the likely hood of increased parts failure to complete failure.

Ecodiesel_3.0_Fire_Plenum_intake.jpg

Or thisPlenum_3.0_Intake.jpeg

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Yes these pictures should instill fear, Because this 3.0VM on NA soil is going to kill someone eventually.

Ecodiesel_fire_6.jpg

Nels576

Feb 12, 2021
Truck Year
I don't need that grief, had thought this might be my last new vehicle, my '06 3500 Cummins has 245k and still runs great, my '98 went 275K sold it and last I knew it was over 400K guess the Italians can't build em like Cummins

lance phinney

Oct 23, 2016
Truck Year
My 2016 RAM 1500 ecodiesel running 74 mph on cruise suddenly down shifted to 7 gear, a few seconds later it down shifted to 6 the gear, I cancelled the cruise and immediately had a loss of oil pressure message pop up on the message center, oil gauge on zero.
Braked hard to the shoulder and shut engine off. No visible fluids.
Truck would not crank over.
Dealer says engine is seized.
They have drained the oil and think there are minor metallic s in the oil.
Truck has 104 K miles
Anyone else have this experience?
Coming home from Arizona pulling a 5200 lb trailer, all most made it home before the engine blew with 79000 miles, told me it would be 15,000 for a new engine and only a two year warranty, they gave me 7000 trade in on another truck, bought a hemi that sucks gas but is reliable, lost a lot of money on that 2014 larmie ecodisel

Nels576

Feb 12, 2021
Truck Year
Finally got my truck back after 10 weeks, complete new engine plus a torque converter ( said the converter bolts we're "frozen" bottom line, quote was $12,500 before the converter, RAM offered me a $1900.00 deductable before the converter which they paid for so have a new engine which I think is the " new" engine for 20/21. Dealer couldn't tell me for sure so I'll have to run the serial number. I have about 700 miles on it including 500 pulling a small trailer, averaging 22.8mpg, that doing the math after fill up. Hope it hold up

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
the 20/21 motors wont work in a 16 eco the new motors r completely different

Nels576

Feb 12, 2021
Truck Year
Would have thought the dealer would have told me that when I asked it it would be the 20/21 engine, got told they didn't know.
I'll be doing a brake job next week so will attempt to read the serial number and run it for date if manufacturer
Thanks for the heads up

elinventorcito

Mar 7, 2021
Truck Year
I don't need that grief, had thought this might be my last new vehicle, my '06 3500 Cummins has 245k and still runs great, my '98 went 275K sold it and last I knew it was over 400K guess the Italians can't build em like Cummins
you never can compare cumming engine to vm 3.0, Cummings has history of reliability, compare to none.