• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine oil temperature

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
Just wondering if any of y'all happen to monitor engine oil temp and if so what seems to be normal. I made a run into the city today and oil temps were in the range of 215-219*, having a a production machinery background we always started getting concerned at about 160*, so what do y'all think.

Camel

Oct 31, 2019
Truck Year
I bought my truck in October so I haven't had any hot days yet. Highest I've seen is 213. I'm thinking when it's over a hundred outside I might see higher. From what I've read seems to be normal range.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
Personally I don't like to see temps that high, it was only about 62* yesterday with heavy rain. I live in south-central Arizona and 110* is normal in the summer. I don't think my 2011 Duramax ever went over 190* IIRC, temps that high may be a factor in the bottom end issues. I wonder if there are aftermarket oil coolers available, guess it's time for some research. What are you using to monitor the oil temp, I have SCANGAUGE 2 & an EDGE CTS MONITOR that I used in my Duramax.

Last edited:

wilkija

Sep 9, 2019
Truck Year
I see at highway speeds my oil hovers around 203 but goes up and down say 5 either way. I just took my 6k RV from killeen TX. To Colorado Springs and the highest temp i saw was 250. For most the trip oil stayed 230 to 240 sustained.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
I saw somewhere that alarms were set for 284*. That seems awfully high to me, I did process equipment repair and we had equipment that ran about 8000 RPMs, we never liked to see oil temps above about 160, at 180 we started getting concerned, BUT that was with DINO turbine oils. I like to allow a little time for turbo temps to come down to about 380* or so before shutting down.

Last edited: