• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine shuts off when restarted after short stop

Matthias Nagel

Dec 20, 2020
Truck Year
Hi,

Lately my engine temp gauge started going up and down. Additional to this when I made a short stop the rpm in idle dropped two or three times and it would shut off. There is also come lots of smoke from the exhaust (I’ve a full egr delete). The engine light came on and the code was P-0118 what means the coolant temp sensor gives out a false measurement.

I changed the temp sensor and now my gauge stays the same and goes up evenly instead up and down.

I still habe the problem that after a short stop the rpm drops and engine shuts off. Very sporadically and no code or engine light. Only message in the display “low oil pressure” but that could be because of the low rpm. Oil level is normal. I’ll change the oil temp sending unit with my next oil change just as a precaution next weekend.
I read that this engine has no oil pressure sensor instead it calculates the oil pressure from oil temperature and rpm. Is this thru?
What else could this issue cause? Fuel filter? Fuel pump? Injection?

Appreciate your input!

thanks,

matthias

Mesatoneman

Dec 27, 2020
Truck Year
You heard right about the factory oil pressure gauge not being a true gauge that actually reads the pressure.

Matthias Nagel

Dec 20, 2020
Truck Year
How many miles without scheduled maintenance
I’m doing regular oil and oil filter changes as well air filter.
Last injection maintenance was summer / fall 2019 but can’t remember exactly.

Mesatoneman

Dec 27, 2020
Truck Year
I think A bad coolant temp sensor could cause engine to run too rich, which could cause the up and down idle and up and down oil pressure and stalling. A rich air fuel mixture would cause more exhaust smoke too.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
What year truck?
How many miles?
How long has your EGR been deleted.... What kind of tune do you have?
Did you unplug all the various EGR related sensors?
Lots of unanswered questions for anyone to make any diagnostic conclusions.

Matthias Nagel

Dec 20, 2020
Truck Year
I think A bad coolant temp sensor could cause engine to run too rich, which could cause the up and down idle and up and down oil pressure and stalling. A rich air fuel mixture would cause more exhaust smoke too.
I’ve changed the coolant temp sensor last week. It gave wrong resistance and the gauge was going up and down

Matthias Nagel

Dec 20, 2020
Truck Year
What year truck?
How many miles?
How long has your EGR been deleted.... What kind of tune do you have?
Did you unplug all the various EGR related sensors?
Lots of unanswered questions for anyone to make any diagnostic conclusions.
2014 with 200,000 km and the delete was done mid 2019 at around 125,000 km. I’ve a full delete from HD Diesel Supply.
I don’t think it’s the EGR delete but could be wrong.