• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine sound foam removal

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
I think I will be removing the sound foam from my Ecodiesel, I would like to remove it neatly so if for some odd reason I want to reinstall it I can, the sound gain if any is of no concern I doubt it will add much, just looking for a tip or two from someone who has done it

John

Nov 13, 2015
Passenger side slips out easily. Drivers side is more time consuming. Some owners cut the drivers side so they don't have to loosen any hoses to get it out. I removed the foam years ago and never looked back.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I removed it within Days of Ownership, it was returned to Fiat with the foam, CP4 Cover all in the truck bed, Last Month.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Its best to remove it so you can periodically inspect your injectors for leaks. They also hold in heat along with the sound. If you take the foam and the cover off you will notice that your engine runs cooler.

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
Are you also removing the plastic engine cover along with the foam?, all cars and trucks have the engine covers now days, removing the cover doesn't look like it will do anything to me

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I removed all my foam and the plastic engine cover. Did not cut the driver side, loosened the stuff holding it down. Took extra effort but worth saving it intact if ever sell or trade-in, can put back to stock condition.

John

Nov 13, 2015
I removed all my foam and the plastic engine cover. Did not cut the driver side, loosened the stuff holding it down. Took extra effort but worth saving it intact if ever sell or trade-in, can put back to stock condition.
That's the same for me.

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
Thanks, I doubt removing the cover does anything one way or the other, so I will see what has the best look

John

Nov 13, 2015
Thanks, I doubt removing the cover does anything one way or the other, so I will see what has the best look
Some say the cover protects the hood from excessive heat. I guess it's possible but who knows for sure.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I've had it off traveling the length of CA to OR in October heat at 80 mph and not seen any heat damage to the hood. If the engine could produce that much heat I would think it would melt the plastic engine cover.

John

Nov 13, 2015
I've had it off traveling the length of CA to OR in October heat at 80 mph and not seen any heat damage to the hood. If the engine could produce that much heat I would think it would melt the plastic engine cover.
I really have no clue. Was just throwing it out there. My guess is it's for sound deadening. Those who claim it protects the hood assume that over time the paint can fail on the aluminum hood.

Here's one after just 4 hrs. without the cover. Lol (just kidding)2183

Last edited:

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Wow! If that was due to the cover being removed (only 4 hours) mine should've melted the hood by now.
Hard to believe but can't refute the photo.

Cover & foam removal has been discussed extensively on another forum and there were no mentions of hood or paint damage due to the cover being removed. Very interesting situation for sure.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
You got me for sure. Happy 4th back to ya!

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
Removed the sound foam including the CP4 cover, and the engine cover, it sure looks better, sound may be a tad louder, but really sounds the same to me, took a good hour and a half removed it unmolested not a real bad job, some say the temps will be lower, not even one degree the very same