• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EPA approval of emissions components and tuning

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Cevans , I see your point, and to the Letter its would be consider a violation, BUT one has to ask the Question if it could MEET the Certification, We mod lots of engines in states That Have Testing and they Pass..
The siffter we used with WITECH it passes, But that's NOT meaning it would Pass NVFEL testing

The EGR valve is 100% functional its the Actuator Gate that's render inoperable, which in operation is default closed x % of use?

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
Cevans , I see your point, and to the Letter its would be consider a violation, BUT one has to ask the Question if it could MEET the Certification, We mod lots of engines in states That Have Testing and they Pass..
The siffter we used with WITECH it passes, But that's NOT meaning it would Pass NVFEL testing

This why I put the note at the end. States have different emissions testing, some states have ZERO emissions testing. If you have this truck in Kentucky or New Hampshire, you can do whatever you want to it and still pass inspection.

The process of "certification" by the EPA is a total crapshoot. We have regulations to limit emissions, but, those are only for a certain baseline set of conditions. It is completely impossible for any vehicle to always be under the limits because driving conditions change - a car full of people pulling up a 6% grade trying to pass a slow truck will be exceeding the emissions regulations.

Because of this, once an the engine shows to meet the regulations at the baseline, the manufacturers and the EPA negotiate the "working parameters" for the engine - when the engine can exceed the limits, for how long, how often, etc. There literally is zero way for any of us to measure if our trucks meet what they are certified for - even stock - and the EPA is only now realizing that their whole regulator regime has very little to do with real-world usage.

So, as for your suggesting that it would "meet" certification - if by certification you mean state inspections, depending on the state that is true. If you mean certification as it pertains to the EPA, even the EPA wouldn't know how to answer that.

In short...who knows, who the hell cares.

What is 100% undeniably true, however, is the the EGR and DPF systems are damaging for engine components. It is your choice to violate the CPA in the name of protecting your truck or getting more power or MPG.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
I have a question for TC Diesel. Knowing what you know about the ED, if you were to buy a brand new one off the lot today, is there any mods at all you would perform to your engine/drive train? If so, would these mods void the warranty? If so, is there anything a new ED owner can do to make this truck better (more reliable) that would not void the warranty?

Last question, I am an Amsoil guy. First thing I did with my truck is changed engine oil and rear differential gear oil to Amsoil. I don't plan to change tranny fluid but I would like to change transfer case fluid with Amsoil. Is there anything I should add to the new transfer case fluid? Or just stick to the appropriate Amsoil transfer case fluid?

Thanks

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Cevans, Again Agree with you in most part, But I do care about what I pass on and the damage I cause. ( NOT getting off earth soon)

Its a very very controversial subject. What someone does or does not do and the matter in general about the Clean Air Act is heated debates and down right blood and guts discussion and can get ugly.

But doing nothing is NOT the answer IMO.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I have a question for TC Diesel. Knowing what you know about the ED, if you were to buy a brand new one off the lot today, is there any mods at all you would perform to your engine/drive train? If so, would these mods void the warranty? If so, is there anything a new ED owner can do to make this truck better (more reliable) that would not void the warranty?

Last question, I am an Amsoil guy. First thing I did with my truck is changed engine oil and rear differential gear oil to Amsoil. I don't plan to change tranny fluid but I would like to change transfer case fluid with Amsoil. Is there anything I should add to the new transfer case fluid? Or just stick to the appropriate Amsoil transfer case fluid?

Thanks

I would run the factory lube to 4-5K drop and OA, You can use the appropriate Lube Ams,Delo,etc, I use T-6, Just do OAs up to 30K Miles or more.
If You don't do something with the filthy EGR system the ED has you will have problems in long term ownership, I've already foamed MY plenum twice with VS7 , Ams has a awesome throttle foam cleaner also, I've posted the procedure at the other forum ,I visit but will NOT likely participate again.

If You change the Trans USE Maxlife form Valvoline. That's what I'm running and Shawn switch form Ams to Maxlife with NO issues also.
On the TC Ams would work just fine.

I've added additional filtration and live oil gage its very complex setups

Attachments

• ED map 4.jpg
    ED map 4.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 27
  • ED map sen.jpg
    ED map sen.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Twin pumps ED final.jpg
    Twin pumps ED final.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Twin pumps ED 3.0.jpg
    Twin pumps ED 3.0.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 3.0 ED engine (2).jpg
    3.0 ED engine (2).jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 32
  • ED oil Gage1.jpg
    ED oil Gage1.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 28
  • ED oil gage psi2.jpg
    ED oil gage psi2.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 30

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Latest OA..

Attachments

• 1500 ECODIESEL 15 Blackstone oil83116.pdf
    23.2 KB · Views: 9

John

Nov 13, 2015
if YOU challenge MAKE SURE it on the platform of advancing knowledge NOT debase on proving ME wrong on Keystrokes.

Quoting the clean air act does stem from advanced knowledge.

Weather or Weather NOT the restrictions violates the certification is up for Debate.
Shutting the EGR VALVE 100% VIA electronically, any reasonable thinking person would conclude it would fail the certification.

It has nothing to do with the weather lol. Whether "it's up for debate" are you serious? how can you even begin to think this is open for debate?

Lets See DEF 67% Deionized Water, 33% Urea , What's More effective LOL

Fact Check: DEF at 67.5% Deionized Water, 32.5% Urea is more effective at reducing NOX than 100% Deionized water.

Burning Bridges SO WHAT, I'll build 10 More for every 1 YOU Claim I burn down. LOL

Something to think about: You seem to burn bridges on all the diesel forums you visit.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Thank you. I run about 10,000 miles a year and have never owned a vehicle beyond 7 years. So maybe I'll just service my fluids and filters religously and let the next owner worry about those longer term pitfalls.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
John.
More Speculation on YOUR part.....Most of the forums I belong too MY PMs are full BC they want to have more input.. Plus anyone is welcome to pick up the phone and call..... and the only time I burn bridges is on the platform of what I know to be truthful...And I Don't force MY knowledge on anyone , I consider My fellow man to be a free moral agent. John YOU want to rob your fellow man of choices and force YOUR limited OPINIONS that are no more then keystrokes.

John If you want to conduct yourself in such manner so Be it, I draw the line and will fight if necessary to stop anyone form forcing or robbing others of there decision when the decision(s) are personal in nature ,and condemn those who disagree with you. Even If I disagree with you John I will NOT go to the point of robbing you of decisions even if its damaging to you or against your own interest.

What I see about YOU John is you bring deceiving messages Like I (TC Diesel) seem to burn bridges, and you drag others in your support thinking that it will has some type of impact. Naaaa

John you just want to cloud the facts or opinions of other.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Thank you. I run about 10,000 miles a year and have never owned a vehicle beyond 7 years. So maybe I'll just service my fluids and filters religously and let the next owner worry about those longer term pitfalls.

I see No problem with that.... but I always tell anyone buying used generally incurs the risk of buying others problems.

John

Nov 13, 2015
John.
More Speculation on YOUR part.....Most of the forums I belong too MY PMs are full BC they want to have more input.. Plus anyone is welcome to pick up the phone and call..... and the only time I burn bridges is on the platform of what I know to be truthful...And I Don't force MY knowledge on anyone , I consider My fellow man to be a free moral agent. John YOU want to rob your fellow man of choices and force YOUR limited OPINIONS that are no more then keystrokes.

John If you want to conduct yourself in such manner so Be it, I draw the line and will fight if necessary to stop anyone form forcing or robbing others of there decision when the decision(s) are personal in nature ,and condemn those who disagree with you. Even If I disagree with you John I will NOT go to the point of robbing you of decisions even if its damaging to you or against your own interest.

What I see about YOU John is you bring deceiving messages Like I (TC Diesel) seem to burn bridges, and you drag others in your support thinking that it will has some type of impact. Naaaa

John you just want to cloud the facts or opinions of other.

Two thoughts after reading this. 1. some are more gullible than others. 2. some are more delusional than others.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Those are 2 of many I have.... and 1 of the many is I give up on this ... I do expect you to continue to comment at will on this subject and others. Maybe I may even gain some incite after a few beers in a delusional state.........

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
Cevans, Again Agree with you in most part, But I do care about what I pass on and the damage I cause. ( NOT getting off earth soon)

Its a very very controversial subject. What someone does or does not do and the matter in general about the Clean Air Act is heated debates and down right blood and guts discussion and can get ugly.

But doing nothing is NOT the answer IMO.

What?

This is the part that doesn't add up TC - you "care about what you pass on" but yet you are okay with defeating your emissions systems...

These don't square.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Only as any option. Look how I defended T-6 and other NON-approval oils for 2 years in advance of FCA announcements, MS11106 was just not the best LUBE for the 3.0, I tested Those euro lubes and found that in long term ownership IMO it would have a impact with additional unnecessary wear., Was MS11106 the wrong lube NO it was just NOT the best lube.
If I get Near MI I will apply for the WIC# and make appointment at The NVFEL to see if it passes, I think it will, I also see the device being remove on future ED 3.0s, just My observation......

vandan

Sep 18, 2016
Truck Year
If gov. impose rules and regulations on us for clean air why aren't they imposing them on airplanes and their ships and army vehicles or whatever they have in use all for the sake of creating war or involvement against what they seem to think is for the better of our future.Goverment is the biggest hypocrits of all if they really care why wasn't the electric car not manufactured until now and why are carburators that were doing 100 plus miles per gallon not invented because it all stems to greed.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
So what, its commiefornia, announce days ago, it still needs EPA approval.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
They may have Re-Cert 2017 (My question why) . It does NOT change the criminal Charges Filed MAY 23 17. https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/un...at-chrysler-automobiles-alleged-clean-air-act. This will be another 6.0 resurrection.Ford tried every imaginable Flash to correct the mechanical short-comings of the 6.0 it ended disastrous for many Ford 6.0 owners it cost $100 millions to Navistar and Ford. The 6.0 was the VT365 Nav, also the 6.0 was on Wards 10 best engines in 2003 , 2003 was Debut for the 6.0, Nav VT365 was a strong motor until Ford Refitted it with Emission Flash changes and Hardware. Now that reports of High mileage 3.0 EDs are failing its to risky for many Eco owners to incur.

Last edited: