• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Exhaust smell in cabin after EGR delete and tune

fcolella

Mar 30, 2021
Truck Year
Hi everybody, I Had the EGR delete and new tune on april 21... truck runs wonderfully! Gained 65 hp and 2-3 liters/100k. However, When I stop at a light, stop sign or when I park, the cabin fills with annoying exhaust smell. Brought it to the shop twice and he can't figure it out. Any ideas before I bring it back?
I decided to keep the original exhaust system less the particle filter. The shop checked everything and can't identify any leak. He even sealed the new muffler section and the problem persists. The truck never had this issue before. Anybody had this happen? Any ideas? Thanks!

malquid

Feb 6, 2021
Truck Year
My guess is the metal flex pipe (Turbo
down pipe) is cracked. That is right by the cabin intake

fcolella

Mar 30, 2021
Truck Year
My guess is the metal flex pipe (Turbo
down pipe) is cracked. That is right by the cabin intake
Thanks for the reply. There is no smell coming from there. It's coming through the windows when I stop the vehicle at a stop sign or at a red light, or the I park it. I never had that problem before. I can't smell anything when I check under the hood while the engine is idling.

malquid

Feb 6, 2021
Truck Year
Thanks for the reply. There is no smell coming from there. It's coming through the windows when I stop the vehicle at a stop sign or at a red light, or the I park it. I never had that problem before. I can't smell anything when I check under the hood while the engine is idling.
Well that’s good news. Yes your exhaust is going to smell like a real truck. It will perform like it too!
if your pipe is cracked and it does happen, you will start noticing black on the silver insulation around on the firewall behind the turbo. I smell my exhaust every time I drive. I love it! The wife hates it so she doesn’t go. Win-win haha

Dfrickan

Oct 28, 2019
Truck Year
Yep. That's how mine works. Smells like a proper 1960's tractor. It's a diesel. You take the emissions system away and it will smell accordingly. The late 1980-1990 diesels are probably the cleaned engines out there(as far as engine with no emissions system goes). But when they realized that they will still need a emissions system to further improve things designs actually went back to engine smelling a bit rougher and then the emissions just solving all those issues.

fcolella

Mar 30, 2021
Truck Year
Yep. That's how mine works. Smells like a proper 1960's tractor. It's a diesel. You take the emissions system away and it will smell accordingly. The late 1980-1990 diesels are probably the cleaned engines out there(as far as engine with no emissions system goes). But when they realized that they will still need a emissions system to further improve things designs actually went back to engine smelling a bit rougher and then the emissions just solving all those issues.
Hi! I understand what you are saying. The diesel smell is OK but why in the cabin? My son owns a older 1500 with a Cummins engine and he never experiences the smell inside de cabin. I just don't get it. I never had exhaust smells of the previous «exhaust mix» before inside the cabin. Now, if it was normal, whatever came out before the EGR delete should have made its way into the cabin... no?