• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Exhaust system regeneration in process

Kanwaljeet

May 29, 2021
Truck Year
Hi I am Kanwaljeet Behl
I just bought 2015 RAM 1500 ecodiesel truck. I don’t know much about the truck but I like it very much. It is showing an indication that exhaust system regeneration in process, Exhaust filter 80 % full.
Should I be concerned about it. Do I need show to mechanic?

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Welcome! Honestly, if you bought it and received that message, you need to return to purchaser and have them evaluate the truck over. If you’ve had the truck for a few days, you need to hop it on the highway for a while. These trucks don’t do well with stop and go driving. They need a minimum of 30 minute hwy driving cycle, but the longer the better. If your trips are stop light to stop light, sell it. These trucks are not start and go, they WILL require attention and maintenance. You will need to change the oil every 6-8k, you’ll need a driving habit of open roads and higher rpms.

Kanwaljeet

May 29, 2021
Truck Year
Thanks for your advices ... I drove on the highway today and it cleaned the filter . Thanks again

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Thanks for your advices ... I drove on the highway today and it cleaned the filter . Thanks again

It will happen again if you don't follow the advice of Tremper126

Kanwaljeet

May 29, 2021
Truck Year
It will happen again if you don't follow the advice of Tremper126
Yes I figured ... I would try driving it more on highway....
but I wonder , suppose i am not able to drive and it keeps on happening, would it be harmful for the truck ... ?
does high power diesel help?

Diann

Jun 2, 2021
Truck Year
Hi I am Kanwaljeet Behl
I just bought 2015 RAM 1500 ecodiesel truck. I don’t know much about the truck but I like it very much. It is showing an indication that exhaust system regeneration in process, Exhaust filter 80 % full.
Should I be concerned about it. Do I need show to mechanic?
I have a 2016 ram 1500 ecodiesel and it is doing the same thing, apparently you have to drive the vehicle at highway speed-steady, and it is suppose to regenerate it, the percentage will do down, however mine is not going down so when this happens its off to the diesel mechanic. Good Luck ! I have had my truck 1 year and this is the 3rd. time it has happened

Diann

Jun 2, 2021
Truck Year
The vehicle is designed to do it. Just remember when you see the message don't ignore it!
what can be done when it won't go down when driven on highway, mine is at 80%, and there are no dealers with available appt. to look at my truck.

bent

Oct 27, 2020
Truck Year
what can be done when it won't go down when driven on highway, mine is at 80%, and there are no dealers with available appt. to look at my truck.
If it says 80 percent and has not gone into limp (limited power )mode then there are a few other parameters that must be met to go into regeneration. Engine must be above (i believe) 170 degrees f and rpm must be 1500 or greater for at least 1 minute. Then rpm can not drop below 1500 for more than 30 seconds after regen starts or it will be canceled.
Wayne

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Buy ALFA OBD II MX , and Do stationary Re Gen.. You should not own an eco diesel not have ALFA it is required to have that software you will be needing it.

Diann

Jun 2, 2021
Truck Year
If it says 80 percent and has not gone into limp (limited power )mode then there are a few other parameters that must be met to go into regeneration. Engine must be above (i believe) 170 degrees f and rpm must be 1500 or greater for at least 1 minute. Then rpm can not drop below 1500 for more than 30 seconds after regen starts or it will be canceled.
Wayne
Thanks, I got it to regen. now it is 170 miles to go before engine wont start something about the DEF needs to go to service but no appt. avail. til June 15th. any ideas on what to do? get rid of truck is my first thought...lol