• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Factory Goodyear SR-A wrangler blew up, did not puncture, blew up

Tobes2102

Dec 21, 2016
Truck Year
riding with my mom and wife in Colorado. Gravel road, 20 mph. Passenger side front tire exploded across the surface/tread of the tire. No sidewall puncture. I pulled off immediately within 20 feet of the explosion. The tire is completely intact so no tire damage to my truck. However the concussion blew my quarter panel out at least 1/2 inch from the door seam. The trim on the quarter panel is also separated badly from the quarter panel. This is a 2016 Laramie with 18k miles. Tires were in complete factory condition. I have done nothing to my truck, it and everything on it are completely OEM.
I called Goodyear and so far not a lot of help. Chrysler has been good so far and gave me a road side service contract that includes replacement of 4 new tires. I asked if I could have these tires replaced(all 4). And they said yes at the RAM dealer as long as it didn't exceed $1500.00. However so far I have been to one dealer in Colorado and no dice. I am now in Tennessee and will take it to my home dealer to see what they say. Hopefully they will replace all of my tires, and Goodyear will accept a claim for my body damage. I will not buy Goodyear. Any information or advice would be appreciated. Chrysler uses this tire on nearly all their 1500's and were helpful and alarmed at this failure. The dealer said they had another incident in which the tire blew on an interstate drive. That tire because of the speed came apart before the driver could get off the highway. The steel belt cut through harnesses and the driver (a female) lost power steering. The truck flipped and was totaled. The woman was not severely injured. BUT.....

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
riding with my mom and wife in Colorado. Gravel road, 20 mph. Passenger side front tire exploded across the surface/tread of the tire. No sidewall puncture. I pulled off immediately within 20 feet of the explosion. The tire is completely intact so no tire damage to my truck. However the concussion blew my quarter panel out at least 1/2 inch from the door seam. The trim on the quarter panel is also separated badly from the quarter panel. This is a 2016 Laramie with 18k miles. Tires were in complete factory condition. I have done nothing to my truck, it and everything on it are completely OEM.
I called Goodyear and so far not a lot of help. Chrysler has been good so far and gave me a road side service contract that includes replacement of 4 new tires. I asked if I could have these tires replaced(all 4). And they said yes at the RAM dealer as long as it didn't exceed $1500.00. However so far I have been to one dealer in Colorado and no dice. I am now in Tennessee and will take it to my home dealer to see what they say. Hopefully they will replace all of my tires, and Goodyear will accept a claim for my body damage. I will not buy Goodyear. Any information or advice would be appreciated. Chrysler uses this tire on nearly all their 1500's and were helpful and alarmed at this failure. The dealer said they had another incident in which the tire blew on an interstate drive. That tire because of the speed came apart before the driver could get off the highway. The steel belt cut through harnesses and the driver (a female) lost power steering. The truck flipped and was totaled. The woman was not severely injured. BUT.....

The factory Goodyear's doesn't have the best reputation in the world on the forums. Be thankful you're getting 4 new tires, most of the time the dealer claims it as a "wear and tear" item and doesn't really help the customer much.

Tobes2102

Dec 21, 2016
Truck Year
Not getting 4 new tires yet. Customer service says yes....
But until dealer says yes I still don't have tires. So far Goodyear 4 and a quarter panel me 0, Chrysler 4 me 0. Still trying to get Goodyear to communicate at all.

Mark Bry

Jun 7, 2018
Truck Year
Real sorry to hear.
I am finishing my second set and will get at least 65,000 mi for the second time. Just bought a third set to try for the trifecta.
Pretty much all highway. Have been happy.
In my humble case if it ain't broke..... and paying 105 to 125 per tire in this size and weight range in also attractive.

Tobes2102

Dec 21, 2016
Truck Year
Goodyear said said sorry. Ram did what they could. I bought 4 new tires out of pocket and they’re michelin’s. Doing great. Will never buy Goodyear jmo.

JVF

Jan 5, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Factory tires for any make are more or less blems. IMO
Michelin is good choice and the ride should be better.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Incredible! I have seen semi tires blow up on the highway and that is something else! I put Michelin Defenders on the truck after the factory tires wore out. Make sure they road force balance your new tires so you get the same ride quality.

RamSingh

Feb 14, 2019
Truck Year
ok for highway driving, not very good for gravel roads.
my rear left was punctured by a sharp rock, with less than 2KM

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
You can buy those SR-A tires for very little money - maybe $110 a tire. FCA likely buys them for $60 a tire. Once they get a little wear on them they didn't inspire much confidence.

JMF157

Jan 11, 2019
Truck Year
Since 1999 I have used Yokohama Geolanders on my vehicles both Passenger and Light Truck models. They were recommended to me by my local tire shop that has multiple large fleet accounts. Found that they are are cheaper than other comparable tires (P275/60/R20 Michelin was $250.00 ea., Yokohama Geolander was $165.00 ea.); and they have the longest wear life at 65,000 miles if you maintain them properly (rotation and inflation). I used the AT+S model up until this vehicle as they were not available. The RAM has G105's and I love them. They are an aggressive tread for all of my driving conditions and not loud on the highway. Hope this info helps for your next set of tires. Good luck.

Last edited:

jimmyday

Oct 27, 2018
Truck Year
Picked up a nail in mine on the freeway. Took it to get repaired and dealer said tread was too low. Used the penny trick and yep - all the way around at less that 24,000 miles. Pure garbage!