• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Failed ecodiesel

Thomas B Hill

Sep 6, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I think its also a lugging issue. Even the Cummins engines had/have issues when towing heavy, and people short shifted heavy loaded engines. The FOA download says its also related to high load/low rpm issues. I think it even (to me) wanted to reprogram the ecu to shift out of this when operated at a high load low rpm condition.. I also agree with all TC has said...Usually multiple issues causing these failures.
They have to try to get low rpm high loads on the engines for Fuel economy, howeber like all else, it can be a "whack a mole" when pushing the limits...Seems the 8 speed trans may load these bearings even harder/more often, thus causing even lower mileage engine failures.....
Glad I came on here today.Thanks everyone fr the shared wisdon...I was doing research on a eco buy (have a HD 2500 Cummins MANUAL:) hehe, but sure like these new trucks looks and driving... Oh well. The Colorado Duramax has that one off "specialty" tranny that will be its demise, IMHO, and being one off, low volume etc, stealership only to replace the tq converter for a while at least.
Guess I will go gas this time, damnit.. WHere is that Cummins Nissan Frontier when needed! Arrgh;)!

Thomas B Hill

Sep 6, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Wow, Inline 6 with more ci's..
Wouldn't that be awesome...:)! IF the 3.0 eco could be manually shifted, I'm betting lots less issues...(and EGR delete etc, of course;)!
Its cool when I find other mechaniks (or in your case maybe mechanics:) hehe, I started broke, so HAD to meckanick my way to some successes eventually with my construction business..

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
GMs, Little Max is going to be in line 6, I would have to check, I believe you can order at the end of This Month.

I also have a small construction Business.

Thomas B Hill

Sep 6, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Its so sad now re learning or teaching kids to FIX and or work/modify equipment...My "other" truck is a 96 I ordered in Nov 1995, exactly how what I wanted (except OBD 2)... 412,000 miles, over 100,000 towing a gooseneck trailer with doziers or 580 2 or 4wd backhoes to Pensacola area from Montgomery Al..(late 1990's early 2000's).
Tranny input shaft bearing went 2 yrs ago, (In Orlando, of course), and I installed a "Standard Transmission and Gear" million mile tranny...SHould be GTG now... Driver door is falling off (new pins and bushings etc), a/c blowing from def and bottom etc. Getting it fixed back slowly, ahhh..hehe
She is mainly my Tow truck nowdays...Looking at something smaller/newer for lighter duty... Guess a gas Nissan frontier, again...

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Just wait it out if you can. IMO the 1/2T diesel market goona have a big turn around in the next 2 years.

Look at the New E-TQ 5.7 it does work I took one Home for a week and yes it was nice, it was actually moving before you touched the Go pedal, a big step up from the Start -Stop function, the Down side is the Generator is everything Starter Charger and is belt driven Plus the Solid state Battery all coming at a $1200.00 increase. and what's going to be the future cost of long term ownership?

It looks like EGR less diesels are now a reality in the future Hey!!!!! Intake exhaust gases fed on the intake side is a big % of diesel problems.

t John

Nov 14, 2016
Truck Year
Stopped to refuel today and truck wouldn't start after refueling. 139604 miles on truck; 62000 on new engine. Engine was replaced in September 2017. After cranking low oil pressure light came on and then the ETC light. Truck at dealership now waiting to be inspected. Pisses me right the f*** off!

t John

Nov 14, 2016
Truck Year
here is what I've found out; since new engine was installed at 77,000 miles, warranty was only good for 23,000 miles (100,000 miles on OD)
If I install a new engine now, warranty is 3yrs/100,000 miles: (see attached snip)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    33 KB · Views: 10

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
That sucks. Not sure what I would do if I were you. You really are gambling big owning one of these outside of warranty. That we all know by now. When you gamble, sometimes you lose. I would probably take my FCA settlement money and a couple thousand of my own money and swap in a used engine, then trade the pig off to the first sucker willing to take it. Live and learn.

Jbrandt

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 2016 ram 1500 EcoDiesel it's been nothing but problems ever since I bought had to have the transmission replaced new under warranty thank God now I'm having failure in a fuel system for example it's been in the shop twice for injector problems.
Only four months ago they changed a couple injectors suddenly my motor stopped working as I was driving it ordered into the shop and now they're telling me injector pump is shot and metal fragments or in the system
keep in mind that all of this has been covered under warranty suddenly now they telling me they want proof of maintenance records
I have all my oil change records but I changed my fuel filter myself as Chrysler wanted $240 to change that stupid thing that only cost $30 has anybody else had any problems like this and of course now they're trying to say they won't cover it and it's a $10,000 job crazy right so I'm looking for receives now for the fuel filters

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its about 3,400.00 to $3,800.00 ..I would want proof of the contamination.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Just find your receipt for the fuel filters. Ebay and Amazon allow you to go back quite a ways.

KrayLock

Aug 24, 2017
Truck Year
Just picked my 2014 up from dealer with second new engine. First one blew at 105k (5k out of warranty) and cost me $9,500 to replace. This one went at 155k but was covered under warranty from last replacement. Since I change oil myself, had to provide all my receipts for oil and filters (luckily I saved them). Both failures were due to bearings.

GWolf

Oct 23, 2017
Truck Year
First time stranded (so far) 21800 miles on 2017. Five minutes after leaving work last week before even completely warm, loss of power then low oil pressure alarm and acrid white smoke from beneath hood. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. No verdict from dealership yet. I searched but can’t find exactly similar symptoms. Hopefully I’ll know something soon.

Wshaneb

Aug 6, 2019
Truck Year
First time stranded (so far) 21800 miles on 2017. Five minutes after leaving work last week before even completely warm, loss of power then low oil pressure alarm and acrid white smoke from beneath hood. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. No verdict from dealership yet. I searched but can’t find exactly similar symptoms. Hopefully I’ll know something soon.
I have a 2015 ecodiesel, got new in 2015. 18000 miles later on fresh oil (second) and fuel filter change complete engine fail....main bearing. 5.5 month fix....no loaner. Under warranty. Big deal! Would rather have a honest product....you know what I paid for....what I was sold! Good luck. Don't lay down and lick em!

GWolf

Oct 23, 2017
Truck Year
Update six days later.... The dealership seems to be standing by their product along with two week rental vehicle. Only news so far is that the intake manifold and EGR cooler are being replaced. Wish me luck.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Update six days later.... The dealership seems to be standing by their product along with two week rental vehicle. Only news so far is that the intake manifold and EGR cooler are being replaced. Wish me luck.
Good luck!

CA Girl

Jan 26, 2024
Truck Year
I'm new here, but was hoping for better info. My 2015 ecodiesel 96k miles, started knocking after low oil pressure light came on. The engine isn't gone yet, but I can't drive it like this and now I am sure I will need to replace it! This truck has been my baby and I'm sad to realize that the diesel I thought would last me 300k+ is not that! I will be selling her as soon as she gets a new engine. I just cannot believe that a truck like this with regular maintenance is just dead and the dealer isn't doing anything to make it right. I bought i t used so no warranty! 😭

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I'm new here, but was hoping for better info. My 2015 ecodiesel 96k miles, started knocking after low oil pressure light came on. The engine isn't gone yet, but I can't drive it like this and now I am sure I will need to replace it! This truck has been my baby and I'm sad to realize that the diesel I thought would last me 300k+ is not that! I will be selling her as soon as she gets a new engine. I just cannot believe that a truck like this with regular maintenance is just dead and the dealer isn't doing anything to make it right. I bought i t used so no warranty! 😭
very unfortunate but does any dealer cover any used vehicle with no warranty?