• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Failed High Pressure Fuel Pump(HPFP) 2019 Classic Eco Diesel

jwcotting

Jun 7, 2021
Truck Year
The HPFP on my 2019 Classic Ram failed at 9400 miles. Dodge will be replacing the HPFP, fuel rails and the injectors.
The HPFP has been back ordered for a month and is now expected in 2 more weeks.
In no particular order here are my comments and concerns;
1. The dealer is awaiting delivery of a total of 4 HPFPs. Is it a generic problem with the HPFP?
2. They refuse to pull the heads to determine if any particulate matter from the destroyed HPFP made it past the injectors
3. The dealer does not have any loaners and Chrysler will only offer $40 a day towards a rental car

I am thinking of asking for a warranty on the engine as long as I own the truck.

Any comments/suggestions are welcomed
Jim

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I believe your 2019 has the CP4.2 or maybe the earlier the CP4 pump. They are known to fail, especially when poor grade (low lubricity) fuel is used or water in the fuel. The failure rate has been quite low in the Ecodiesels and higher in the Cummins. In fact, yours is the first one I've seen posted.

$40.00 a usual;ly gets a decent rental. I'm surprised they offer that much. But then I read where Covid has caused the rentals to skyrocket. Like 1300.00 a day in Hawaii because they sold all their stock {not being used) during Covid.

I don't think you'll get anywhere with your warranty idea.

Pulling the heads is a debatable subject that maybe someone will chime in on as I have no opinion.
You definitely need your request and their denial documented in their system and on your invoice. That would be needed down the line should you have engine problems and suspect debris from the pump failure is the cause.

Good luck - keep us informed

jwcotting

Jun 7, 2021
Truck Year
I believe your 2019 has the CP4.2 or maybe the earlier the CP4 pump. They are known to fail, especially when poor grade (low lubricity) fuel is used or water in the fuel. The failure rate has been quite low in the Ecodiesels and higher in the Cummins. In fact, yours is the first one I've seen posted.

$40.00 a usual;ly gets a decent rental. I'm surprised they offer that much. But then I read where Covid has caused the rentals to skyrocket. Like 1300.00 a day in Hawaii because they sold all their stock {not being used) during Covid.

I don't think you'll get anywhere with your warranty idea.

Pulling the heads is a debatable subject that maybe someone will chime in on as I have no opinion.
You definitely need your request and their denial documented in their system and on your invoice. That would be needed down the line should you have engine problems and suspect debris from the pump failure is the cause.

Good luck - keep us informed
Please, am i understanding the eco and cummins uses the same fuel pump?
Isn't it uncommon that one dealer would be awaiting 4 of the same fuel pump?
many thanks for your advice/comments
Jim

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Please, am i understanding the eco and cummins uses the same fuel pump?
Yes. I believe the higher pressures required of the 2019-20 Cummins is what's causing more failures on the Cummins. They changed back to the CP3 pump in the 2021 models.

Isn't it uncommon that one dealer would be awaiting 4 of the same fuel pump? Yes

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The VM 3.0 uses a NONE GP pump. So they are NOT compatible.

I'm with John on VM3.0 Failure rate VS 6.7 Cummins, its an OK pump if good lube/Clean fuel is used its entire life.

I simply do not believe that most Dealerships are trust worthy.

I've Never heard or seen CP4 failure take the engine out. Generally its fails so fast no internal engine damages occurs.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
jw/cotting, I'm relying because use kindly ask for all/any Comments welcome. (y)

Why do people come to the web just looking for comforting comments or to just to have their ears tickled is beyond me.

In your 1st Post JW you wanted Info or something that produces results.(y)

Firedude

Sep 15, 2021
Truck Year
The VM 3.0 uses a NONE GP pump. So they are NOT compatible.

I'm with John on VM3.0 Failure rate VS 6.7 Cummins, its an OK pump if good lube/Clean fuel is used its entire life.

I simply do not believe that most Dealerships are trust worthy.

I've Never heard or seen CP4 failure take the engine out. Generally its fails so fast no internal engine damages occurs.
I'm thinking that any particle that could possibly work its way past an injector into the cylinders would be too small to cause any significant damage.

SanDiegoEcoDiesel

Jul 10, 2020
Truck Year
The HPFP on my 2019 Classic Ram failed at 9400 miles. Dodge will be replacing the HPFP, fuel rails and the injectors.
The HPFP has been back ordered for a month and is now expected in 2 more weeks.
In no particular order here are my comments and concerns;
1. The dealer is awaiting delivery of a total of 4 HPFPs. Is it a generic problem with the HPFP?
2. They refuse to pull the heads to determine if any particulate matter from the destroyed HPFP made it past the injectors
3. The dealer does not have any loaners and Chrysler will only offer $40 a day towards a rental car

I am thinking of asking for a warranty on the engine as long as I own the truck.

Any comments/suggestions are welcomed
Jim
I have a 2018. Ecodiesel 1500

Needed new engine replacement @60k

Now just had HPFP failure and entire system replaced. $12k estimate

Have max care warranty.
Very disappointed in Dodge for this issue known issue . With no remdy.

I will update as I get information 3-16-22

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Agree, it doesn't make sense, they have a recall to replace the CP4s in on the Cummins but not on the Ecodiesels.