• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

FCA warranty denial

stovedude

Jan 23, 2023
Truck Year
Not sure if this is the right thread for this question, but I'm sure many members have experienced a similar issue. I have a 2018 RAM 1500 with the eco. Two months ago (600 miles after a dealer oil change), the engine started knocking. After taking it to the same dealership, they confirmed that the #4 connecting rod had spun a bearing. Long story short, FCA is denying the warranty repair for several reasons:

1) Customer fails to prove a manufacture defect in materials or workmanship.
2) Customer fails to prove impairment of use, value, or safety of vehicle.
3) Customer has driven vehicle over the normal annual mileage compared to national average.

We had an arbitration with NCDS and were again denied, based solely on #1 (since the other two were not only asinine but inarguable).
Unfortunately, we were also denied access to the engine by the dealer, who conveniently drained the oil and discarded the oil filter. We paid $14k for a new motor replacement and were finally able to get the old motor in our possession a few days ago (we're going to get an oil analysis soon).
We are planning on submitting a new arbitration claim, now that we have more evidence.
I'm hoping that other members here with similar experiences or better knowledge of FCA's antics could help us out or point us in a better direction at this stage. Thx in advance.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Wow! I'm glad I've no friends with a similar experience nor do I ever want one.
Time to get a good lawyer

stovedude

Jan 23, 2023
Truck Year
It's definitely going that direction. Just wondering if other members have come across this issue with FCA. I've read many stories on this forum about this common issue with weak and flexing crankshafts

Spiderman112358

Oct 28, 2020
Truck Year
The lower portion of the Ecodiesel has been the weak spot in that engine since it’s inception. I got rid of my 2014 EC as soon as I read about this problem since FCA won’t cover the lower end even though I had the extended warranty from FCA from the emissions scandal. I’m telling everyone who reads this web site to GET RID OF YOUR ECODIESEL ASAP so you don’t end up like others with complete engine replacements as FCA will not repair them.

Why won’t they repair them, you ask? Because the Gen 1 & Gen 2 engines have the same lower end weakness. Keep your Gen 1 & 2 Ecodiesel trucks at your own risk! How long do you want to wait for a legal settlement and the attendant legal fees to find out you’re just fucked in the end?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
The lower portion of the Ecodiesel has been the weak spot in that engine since it’s inception. I got rid of my 2014 EC as soon as I read about this problem since FCA won’t cover the lower end even though I had the extended warranty from FCA from the emissions scandal. I’m telling everyone who reads this web site to GET RID OF YOUR ECODIESEL ASAP so you don’t end up like others with complete engine replacements as FCA will not repair them.

Why won’t they repair them, you ask? Because the Gen 1 & Gen 2 engines have the same lower end weakness. Keep your Gen 1 & 2 Ecodiesel trucks at your own risk! How long do you want to wait for a legal settlement and the attendant legal fees to find out you’re just fucked in the end?
Not to argue with your opinion or experience but I have to say there are a lot of very high mileage Ecos on the road that are still running well. I agree the failure rate is too high but not a reason for everyone to bail. Not sure why you think replacing a failed engine instead of repairing it is bad, I like the idea.

I'm keeping my Eco, I like it, it performs as advertised and so far has been problem free.

By the way, there was never a Gen 1 Eco on the road in the USA. Gen 2 was the first Eco to appear in the USA in 2014.

JD9560

Nov 15, 2022
Truck Year
It’s scary just to read this forum. I’m glad someone has something good to say about ecodiels.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The VM 3.0 is either a Hero or Zero, Do OA trends in most cases you will have early warning notice and time to sell, buyer beware buying used VM 3.0s

Spiderman112358

Oct 28, 2020
Truck Year
Ecodiesel engine
Not to argue with your opinion or experience but I have to say there are a lot of very high mileage Ecos on the road that are still running well. I agree the failure rate is too high but not a reason for everyone to bail. Not sure why you think replacing a failed engine instead of repairing it is bad, I like the idea.

I'm keeping my Eco, I like it, it performs as advertised and so far has been problem free.

By the way, there was never a Gen 1 Eco on the road in the USA. Gen 2 was the first Eco to appear in the USA in 2014.

Spiderman112358

Oct 28, 2020
Truck Year
Ecodiesel engine
As much as I would have liked my Ecodiesel to have lasted longer with less trouble (a previous post stated that my 2014 Ram was in the dealership for 8 months) I was told that Diesel engines are best when driven a lot of miles. They’re really not good to use as a grocery getter or just around town. Which is on me.

I loved my EC, truly. The dealership was very good about getting FCA engineers to finally fix it. But I was warned about the weakness of the lower end and that it would require a $14K to $15K engine replacement. Since the truck was only worth $18K the decision was easy.

I did replace it with the Hemi version of the 1500, and I really like it too. I’m not a Ram disser as I think their trucks are great as evidenced by my repurchase of another truck.

Having said that I still think the EC is a accident looking for a place to happen. Hopefully your truck will continue to serve you well and you probably are one of those who drives high miles which allows the EC to fully warm up and regenerate. If it doesn’t get truly warmed up that’s when the problems begin.

Dougeco

Nov 7, 2020
Truck Year
Not Listed
53,000 miles on my 2021 without issues. Still waiting for Ram to replace the recalled, now notorious, high pressure fuel pump.