• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

First ED truck. Questions

Clayj78

Jun 21, 2021
Truck Year
Hello all new to this bought my first ED Ram about 4 week ago. And love it. Its a 17 has 53k on it. My questions are about Tuning. First when I got it the DEF gauge was about half. I filled it day I bought it. Filled and Gauge show full. I have put just under 3k miles and the gauge shows full still? I also noticed all the wires harness hanger pins around the ECM are pull out and just laying there so I know at some point this truck had the ECM out. Is there any way to tell if there is a tune on the Truck? I read about cruise control it engages at 25 mph. It get good mileage on hay with cruise control at posted or 5 over around 26.7 it what I averaged my last 200 mile trip. It does however have a delay when kicking it down. When its cold. When warmed up I dont really notice that. I did also notice it does stay in 8th gear alot even going up a slight grade. So any help would be great. I did purchase from a dealer and last week when I got my free oil change. I told them about the ECM wires hangers all pulled out they told me straight out they didn't even look.
Sorry so long

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
DEF usage is almost not noticeable on these trucks. Does the truck have a noticeable delay when you you get on the go pedal? if not it may be tuned, kinda sucks not knowing and not having the tuner box unless it was an earlier tune that required the ECM to be sent off. I would HIGHLY recommend that you spend about $400.00 & buy an external OBDII gauge package so you can see your regens, these trucks arent happy as a grocery getter, they need to be run on the hiway. Get an EDGE CTS 2 or 3, monitor your soot levels, regen status and exahust temperatures, all 3 of them, then use the other screens to monitor what you want. If the truck has a tune that shuts off the EGR then you can watch that on the EDGE also, if it stays at 0%, then the truck is tuned.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
If you unplug your egr electrical connections, that will confirm for sure if you have a tune or not. The cruise control method works also, but if your egr is unplugged and doesn’t throw a code almost instantly, then the ecm is tuned. The original owner may have removed his ecm when he traded it in though, so keep that in mind.

Clayj78

Jun 21, 2021
Truck Year
Thank you both. Only noticeable lag is when its cold takes 3 to 5 mins then its better. If I floor it at a stop sign it might lag for a split second but nothing bad. And if going to pass once warm it instantly kicks down and goes, Does GDE keep serial numbers of ECM where I could check? I know The ECM been pulled before even the bolts show signs of being removed. I will pull electrical on EGR tomorrow. Long day here. I drive 30k to 40k a year. I flipped 3 repairable cars to get a down payment of half for this truck. One was a avalanche that I had to replace lifters and exhaust manifold bolts..yep 2008. Lol and this ED out performs that in passing and take off. Another was a 2009 GC with a Hemi. That needed, exhaust bolts and a rear end rebuild. The GC would chew this ED up in all but pulling. But the GC would be tough getting 14mpg. If I never have to pull snapped exhaust bolt again i,d gladly do more PM on this ED.

If your curious the third I was a 08 outback with 140k but blown HG.

Thank for the fast responses I thought it might take awhile. :)