• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Foam on top of engine

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Do the molded foam pieces on top of engine under the cover serve any purpose other then sound dampening?

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Well I yanked out the passenger side, but the drivers side has a rubber hose inlaid on top. Not sure if I'll take that side off.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
The foam is there to not only insulate noise, but to keep the top of your engine hot to keep the egr cooler and egr and intake hot enough to allow the oil blowby to not collect and burn off.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Ok, didn't know that. Your recommendation that I put it back on? Only removed the passenger side...

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
If you get a gde tune that disables the egr then heck yes take it off. But if your going to run the egr I'd keep it on. I've had mine on for the past 130000 miles and I don't overheat.
Keeping those things on also prevents water from pooling in the glow plugs.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Thanks for the info Shawn.

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
It's nice having Mopar ecodiesel on here to answer all of our silly questions since he has obviously become very familiar with these trucks

WesMgc

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
Yes Shawn has help all of us something's we don't even know about until he shows us or tells us.
Thanks Shawn

You did a video for I think 113? mile look back at truck and all the things you have ran into you mentioned something about the thing that drove you nuts it was over head lights left side screws up went out to my truck sure enough mine was same was at dealer getting work done and they ordered me whole new system for over head lighting.(under warranty)

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
my word, yes. My overhead map light went completely out after that video,
If anyones map light flickers at all, go get it warranteed now! that dang madule is $225 without all the addin modules.
Im actually going to wire in a replacement led light in the oem place. I don't know if it will work,
I made the video not to complain, or wine about all the problems, but to make owners aware of all the problems and good things about the truck so they know what to have fixed right away, or to prevent having issues.

jaallen

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
The foam is there to not only insulate noise, but to keep the top of your engine hot to keep the egr cooler and egr and intake hot enough to allow the oil blowby to not collect and burn off.

Where did you get this information, and is it recommended by FCA? Who marked this as needed for EGR heat? Just want to be sure I did not make a mistake taking mine off, would like to have some quantification on this.

WesMgc

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
my word, yes. My overhead map light went completely out after that video,
If anyones map light flickers at all, go get it warranteed now! that dang madule is $225 without all the addin modules.
Im actually going to wire in a replacement led light in the oem place. I don't know if it will work,
I made the video not to complain, or wine about all the problems, but to make owners aware of all the problems and good things about the truck so they know what to have fixed right away, or to prevent having issues.

Well you helped me thanks

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
@jaallen I'm pretty sure you will get an answer from FCA that it is recommended to leave it on there and not take it off...otherwise why would it be there? And mopar will pretty much have a bachelor's degree on this truck by the time his hits 200k miles. Most of his posts are factual and have logic/knowledge to back them up.

WesMgc

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
Don't think they put it there just for sound it would have to do more then just that.