• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Front leveling (removing rack)

hfbroady

Mar 21, 2024
Truck Year
Hello,
I would like to remove the rack on my 2015 Ram 1500 ecodiesel. I have the 1.5" spacer that I planned on installing.

I have seen some reviews that after about 4-6 years there is significant wear on the upper shock absorber.
I would still like to install it temporarily (maybe for a couple of years) until I have the money to do a better front-leveling system.

Are there any other major concerns about using the front leveling spacer?
Also, I would like to put a heavy-duty brush guard on the front (lots of deer where I live)strong enough not to damage the front end if I mow over a deer.

What thinking when I upgraded the front leveling I would go to a little stiffer strut setup with the 1.5" lift.

Are there any suggestions to accomplish my goals with the front end of my truck???

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
In my opinion, do it right or don’t bother. It is a pain to remove struts and install a spacer, only to do it again shortly thereafter.

For mine, several years ago, I used replacement upper arms with greaseable ball joints. Have had no complaints and still rides ok. Not as smooth like stock, but ok. Couple that with quality struts and you should be fine. I would not hang a 200lb battle ram off the front of that thing with OEM parts and spacers. BUT, that is just me. You do you.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Brady gave you good advice, however, I did what he implies is not doing it right.

6 mos after my 2016 was delivered I installed Hell Bent 2" Front Leveling Spacer Set #125-200-001 .
After a couple of years, because the forum experts said what I did would fail, I bought a set of Billsteins and a set of Moog upper control arms to redo the front suspension. Well, those parts are still in their boxes on my garage shelves. I still have no evidence of the spacers or the top control arms failing. My truck is primarily a daily grocery getter but has done some trailer towing, open desert running, and off-roading.

That said, hard or severe off roading is known to pop the ball joints using spacer leveling and stock arms.

Edit:
I should also add that I've had a Rancher front grill guard since 2016
Front-Current-1.jpg

Last edited:

hfbroady

Mar 21, 2024
Truck Year
Thanks for the advice.

I don't see myself doing much or any "off-roading". I mainly use the truck to haul my garbage to the dump. I have pulled a 14' dump trailer with my mom's golf cart in it. I also put 2 cubic yards of compost in the 14' dump trailer once. I will in the future haul some firewood with it.

I have 1.5" spacers.

I still need to think about this more before I put those spacers on them.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I had 1.25 inch spacers installed on my 2015. I believe did it in 2016. I have had no issues whatsoever. I don't really do any off-roading but I do tow a 6600 lb. travel trailer frequently.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I was leveled with air suspension linkage rods since almost new, and when that was removed for coils at maybe 130, 150 (hard to recall) I put leveling spacers again rather than the ranchero lift strut assemblies. It's daily driven highway, lot of Gravel and farm field running as well. Had more trouble with lower ball joints. Moog are absolutely trash, 20-30k. Finally had luck when the installed mevotech TTX series. I went through the front end this winter at 190,000 some miles, chasing some noises, ended up being one upper ball joint; an outer tie rod and the hardest to find was actually a sway bar link. Along with a hub assembly and pads. (Ps Timken hub assemblies are like 80$ on eBay and 400$/ locally. Wild)