• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel Pump Howling?

StevenB

Mar 30, 2016
Truck Year
Anyone experience a howling sound coming from (what i assume) the fuel pump? I can hear it when the truck is running as well as when the engine is shut off and key is turned just to the accessories position. Im assuming it is the fuel pump because it sounds like it is behind/below the fuel fill door. I didnt notice anything on start up this morning, just when i pulled into work after a 2 hour freeway drive. It sat for 4 hours and it is still happening when i left for lunch. No warning lights are showing on my dash.

Dec 14, 2015
Truck Year
Anyone experience a howling sound coming from (what i assume) the fuel pump? I can hear it when the truck is running as well as when the engine is shut off and key is turned just to the accessories position. Im assuming it is the fuel pump because it sounds like it is behind/below the fuel fill door. I didnt notice anything on start up this morning, just when i pulled into work after a 2 hour freeway drive. It sat for 4 hours and it is still happening when i left for lunch. No warning lights are showing on my dash.
Get the fuel filter changed ASAP.

Bison Slayer

May 10, 2019
Truck Year
"If you ran it out of fuel once you could have an air bubble trapped in it. The air will not allow it to pump at 100%. With less force pushing against the pump it will spin faster causing the louder then normal noise. "
Someone else on a different website had the same problem and that was his conclusion.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
if the pump is making a lot of noise it is on its way out MOST of the time it is from running low on fuel the fuel cools the pump

Dec 14, 2015
Truck Year
I mostly do not let my fuel go below 1/4 tank. When my pump sounded loader than normal the filter was bulged out in the middle. When I cut it open I found a lot of crud inside and it had been on less than 10k miles. Since then I have put a new filter in when the oil gets changed every 7,500 miles.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
if u r fuel filter is getting that bad after 10.000 miles I am sure as shit I would not buy diesel from that place again

Dec 14, 2015
Truck Year
I don't buy fuel at any one place, I can tell if I got some crap fuel as my mileage goes down. My truck has mostly highway miles on it as I have done a lot of traveling the last 3 years and have gotten fuel all over the eastern U.S. Most all the fuel and gasoline available in the Greater Pittsburgh region where I live is shipped from the same industrial site. They do however have 3 grades of fuel the retailers can get, and retailers will only make it known if they have the top grade. Due to poor mileage there are some chain brands I do not buy from. I only had the one filter actually have issues, I am just being overly cautious because I don't want injector issues.