• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GDE Purchased...Now What?

joseph73cf

Dec 27, 2021
Truck Year
Hey.

2015 Laramie. Just purchased the GDE tune today. When I purchased the truck three weeks ago it had the Banks Derringer tuner installed. Obviously this will no longer be hooked up. However, can I keep the Banks iDash hooked up for recording data? https://www.bankspower.com/series-2-idash-1-8-datamonster-and-supergauge.html

What other items should I consider upgrading for increased performance. I am not deleting as they are cracking down on compliance here in my area, so no deleting.

I am no mechanic, but want to understand and am willing to learn! I just need a point in the right direction :) Just unsure which things to swap out that will actually make a real improvement.

I am not currently towing anything. That will come in a year or two. Right now this is just my truck, and I am happy to have it!!

Thanks!

EARL99208

Jul 7, 2021
Truck Year
I'm no expert by any means, but I believe that the idash can still be left installed as a monitor.

BTW….do you have any plans for the Banks Derringer?

joseph73cf

Dec 27, 2021
Truck Year
I'm no expert by any means, but I believe that the idash can still be left installed as a monitor.

I am going to sell it. I have a brand new iDash that isn't installed along with the mounting bracket that holds

I have since been told by GDE that you are correct, I can keep the iDash.
I will uninstall the Derringer and put it up for sale when I get around to it. I haven't installed the iDash yet. I purchased the pillar mount as well, but have not installed either. I may just sell the whole thing as a unit.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I would stack the Derringer with GDE tune, The Derringer at its lowest setting. You may like the results... Both The Banks Derringer/Bullet are pressure Boxes.

joseph73cf

Dec 27, 2021
Truck Year
I would stack the Derringer with GDE tune, The Derringer at its lowest setting. You may like the results... Both The Banks Derringer/Bullet are pressure Boxes.
I was not aware that you could use the Banks with a tune. Interesting.
What do you mean by "pressure boxes"? I am new to the diesel world and am slowly learning the language...kinda like when I became a Christian or when my father in law talks about his job @ the hospital. Everyone has a language that takes a bit of time to decipher and I need to eat two more boxes of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs before I get my decoder ring!

Attachments

• CCSB.jpeg
    CCSB.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 0

EARL99208

Jul 7, 2021
Truck Year
I am going to sell it. I have a brand new iDash that isn't installed along with the mounting bracket that holds

I have since been told by GDE that you are correct, I can keep the iDash.
I will uninstall the Derringer and put it up for sale when I get around to it. I haven't installed the iDash yet. I purchased the pillar mount as well, but have not installed either. I may just sell the whole thing as a unit.
Just let me know a price and what is for sale…. Maybe I’d be interested.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Pressure Box = Rail Pressure+ Duration.....Its the simplest and in most cases the safest within reason.......to Add HP to any HPCR system.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Earl if you don't buy 73 Derringer, I have the Banks Bullet I used for 3 Years in My 2015 3.0... The Bullet Does NOT use the OBD port , its plug and Play Rail Pressure and MAP Sensors. Makes the same HP as Derringer.

IMO like the bullet, it leaves the OBD port open for additional Monitor.

1644259423306.jpeg

GoldenBear

Jul 15, 2021
Truck Year
Hey.

2015 Laramie. Just purchased the GDE tune today. When I purchased the truck three weeks ago it had the Banks Derringer tuner installed. Obviously this will no longer be hooked up. However, can I keep the Banks iDash hooked up for recording data? https://www.bankspower.com/series-2-idash-1-8-datamonster-and-supergauge.html

What other items should I consider upgrading for increased performance. I am not deleting as they are cracking down on compliance here in my area, so no deleting.

I am no mechanic, but want to understand and am willing to learn! I just need a point in the right direction :) Just unsure which things to swap out that will actually make a real improvement.

I am not currently towing anything. That will come in a year or two. Right now this is just my truck, and I am happy to have it!!

Thanks!
Hi Joseph,

I recently bought a 2017 Laramie and plan to do the same upgrade. I'd like a little better performance and mileage, but I'm hoping it will help in towing my travel trailer a bit better. My question is, was the update process pretty straight forward? I get by, but I'm no techy so I'm a little concerned about the process. Good instructions and simple process? Also, if I've read correctly, this shuts off and eliminates the need for DEF?

Thanks for your reply.
Orrin

joseph73cf

Dec 27, 2021
Truck Year
Hi Joseph,

I recently bought a 2017 Laramie and plan to do the same upgrade. I'd like a little better performance and mileage, but I'm hoping it will help in towing my travel trailer a bit better. My question is, was the update process pretty straight forward? I get by, but I'm no techy so I'm a little concerned about the process. Good instructions and simple process? Also, if I've read correctly, this shuts off and eliminates the need for DEF?

Thanks for your reply.
Orrin
The GDE tune was very easy, even for me! The biggest challenge, if you can call it that, I encountered was using a PC! I have been on a Mac or Linux computer for decades and the Windows format takes me a little longer to work through. Once I understood how to use that, easy.

GDE sends you a hand held unit that you plug into the OBD port and it reads info about your truck. You attach that unit to your computer and create a file that you send to GDE via email. They email you back a file that you upload onto your handheld unit and go back to your truck and hook up to the OBD again and it puts the new file into your ECM and you are done!

This does not eliminate the need for DEF. You will still need to fill up. Some people hate the stuff. I knew going into getting a diesel that you need it. Not an issue for me. I've put almost 10k on this truck and still haven't added any DEF, so not a big cost as far as i am concerned. I understand if it goes bad that there is cost involved to repair, but it's no different if a headlight goes out....you gotta replace it.

Anyway, hope this helps. Very happy I spent the money on the tune.

GoldenBear

Jul 15, 2021
Truck Year
The GDE tune was very easy, even for me! The biggest challenge, if you can call it that, I encountered was using a PC! I have been on a Mac or Linux computer for decades and the Windows format takes me a little longer to work through. Once I understood how to use that, easy.

GDE sends you a hand held unit that you plug into the OBD port and it reads info about your truck. You attach that unit to your computer and create a file that you send to GDE via email. They email you back a file that you upload onto your handheld unit and go back to your truck and hook up to the OBD again and it puts the new file into your ECM and you are done!

This does not eliminate the need for DEF. You will still need to fill up. Some people hate the stuff. I knew going into getting a diesel that you need it. Not an issue for me. I've put almost 10k on this truck and still haven't added any DEF, so not a big cost as far as i am concerned. I understand if it goes bad that there is cost involved to repair, but it's no different if a headlight goes out....you gotta replace it.

Anyway, hope this helps. Very happy I spent the money on the tune.
Thank you for the reply. I guess the part I was a bit uncertain about was how to down load and upload from the unit they provide. I'm thinking that will probably be more obvious once I go to do it.

joseph73cf

Dec 27, 2021
Truck Year
Thank you for the reply. I guess the part I was a bit uncertain about was how to down load and upload from the unit they provide. I'm thinking that will probably be more obvious once I go to do it.
It is actually very simple. They have great instructions and if you have any questions they responded to mine very quickly. If you can figure out how to post on this forum I think you have enough brain cells left to to a GDE tune!!

GoldenBear

Jul 15, 2021
Truck Year
It is actually very simple. They have great instructions and if you have any questions they responded to mine very quickly. If you can figure out how to post on this forum I think you have enough brain cells left to to a GDE tune!!
Again, thank you. I will be doing the upgrade soon.