• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GDE Tune Experience & Performance please share

Killerwilly

Sep 19, 2019
Truck Year
Hello everyone,

Like many others, I got hit with the "recall" while at the dealership for something else and immediately noticed performance issues. I managed to snag a GDE hot tune and transmission tune before the EPA silliness. I got back the acceleration, could pull out into traffic without wondering if my engine would respond.

However, I hadn't done any freeway driving. I recently took my truck on an 8ish hour trip to see how it would perform. Mild weather, not cold did most of the trip without A/C or heat need. Was driving at freeway speeds of about 75-80. The fuel economy was disappointing. Prior to the recall and the GDE tunes, I could get 25+ in that scenario. I understand that driving slower can yield better fuel economy, but 25+ was good enough for me.

On the trip, I couldn't get any better than 20 mpg. I even tried driving at lower speeds for a stretch to see the difference and still couldn't see any marked improvement.

I emailed GDE and was pleased they responded given the situation. Their response, however, was disappointing. They basically said it was performing as intended and nothing could be done

So I'm just wondering what others with the tune are seeing. With the tune, I get around 18-20 around town and 20 driving at freeway speeds. Prior to the recall I would get 20+ around town and 25+ driving at freeway speeds. Even prior to the recall it seemed like folks who got the tune saw modest increases in fuel economy, certainly not a decrease.

Just looking to see what other's experiences are.

Thanks!

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
with the gde hot tune I get any where 25 to 30 depending on driving style

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Hello everyone,

Like many others, I got hit with the "recall" while at the dealership for something else and immediately noticed performance issues. I managed to snag a GDE hot tune and transmission tune before the EPA silliness. I got back the acceleration, could pull out into traffic without wondering if my engine would respond.

However, I hadn't done any freeway driving. I recently took my truck on an 8ish hour trip to see how it would perform. Mild weather, not cold did most of the trip without A/C or heat need. Was driving at freeway speeds of about 75-80. The fuel economy was disappointing. Prior to the recall and the GDE tunes, I could get 25+ in that scenario. I understand that driving slower can yield better fuel economy, but 25+ was good enough for me.

On the trip, I couldn't get any better than 20 mpg. I even tried driving at lower speeds for a stretch to see the difference and still couldn't see any marked improvement.

I emailed GDE and was pleased they responded given the situation. Their response, however, was disappointing. They basically said it was performing as intended and nothing could be done

So I'm just wondering what others with the tune are seeing. With the tune, I get around 18-20 around town and 20 driving at freeway speeds. Prior to the recall I would get 20+ around town and 25+ driving at freeway speeds. Even prior to the recall it seemed like folks who got the tune saw modest increases in fuel economy, certainly not a decrease.

Thanks!
Did the dealer flash over your GDE tune? If so it is gone and you will likely not get it back..

John

Nov 13, 2015
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
Are you hand calculating?

Killerwilly

Sep 19, 2019
Truck Year
Did the dealer flash over your GDE tune? If so it is gone and you will likely not get it back..

No. After what happened to get me here no dealer will touch my truck without me knowing exactly what they are doing. I also have a stock ECU to toss on if I am ever forced to see a dealer for my warranty. I did get my tune after the dealer did the recall work.

John

Nov 13, 2015
No this is based on the readings from the truck software. I should do some hand calculations.
Yeah check it. I've heard of some owners who are getting way more MPG's than what the EVIC after the GDE tune displays and have also heard the opposite.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I have been running my GDE tune for 2 weeks now. Installed it 2 days after the AEM at the dealer. In my normal driving I was getting about 19.6 before the tune. After the tune getting abut 22.3 according to the vehicle calculator. My fuel mileage does dip around this time of year presumably due to winter fuel. I am curious to see if the SFK transmission tune will effect my fuel mileage. I will be installing that the 2nd week of Dec.

colin

Oct 20, 2018
Truck Year
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
I noticed my fuel economy was no ,t that great afterwards also. especialy city driving. It goes down when i drive in the highway but not as good as before tune with gde. No problem taking off when engine cold though

Bookmaker

Nov 23, 2019
Truck Year
Yeah check it. I've heard of some owners who are getting way more MPG's than what the EVIC after the GDE tune displays and have also heard the opposite.
I noticed this also with my tuned spare ECU. I suspect that the base file used in the tuned ECU is a pre AEM tune for a different model year than my 2016. It works but the mpg reported is wrong and the DPF continually reports 90% full even after a forced regen. Pop the original ECU back in and all is well. I’m going to ask my tuner to clone my original to the spare and use that as the foundation for tuning and EGR delete. That should solve any model year differences.

Kpompey

Aug 24, 2019
Truck Year
I drive 105 mile a day, 100 of it is highway. after AEM flash mpg dropped 22-24 on the highway, after gde tune I average 26-27. now it is cold where I am at so the mpg dropped to 25

Kpompey

Aug 24, 2019
Truck Year
with my gde tune got a low oil pressure light on.now truck is in the shop. dealership says I need a new ecm.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
with my gde tune got a low oil pressure light on.now truck is in the shop. dealership says I need a new ecm.
Did you buy the oil pressure sending unit option?

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Multiple answers: yes hand calculate EVIC varies as to accuracy. Pre AEM I got 24 average on Summer fuel and 22 average on Winter Blend fuel. Post AEM I got 22 average for the two weeks before I installed GDE. Post GDE, hand calculated, 26 mpg average Summer and 24 Winter Blend. No throttle lag, plenty of torque and hp response. Pulls my toyhauler like it's not there, pulling 14mpg average. 65mph on cruise control.

biggrits21

Nov 24, 2019
Truck Year
I have The GDE hot tune and kept my stock ecm when I purchased it. I had the AEM done 3 weeks ago got home switched out the ECM and the tune doesnt work with the transmission. I am getting 13 mpg city. I think the AEM changed the transmission . Anyway I am getting SKT engine and Trans tune . Also I will not ever buy from GDE again they seem to think its all right to give CARB their customers info .

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I have The GDE hot tune and kept my stock ecm when I purchased it. I had the AEM done 3 weeks ago got home switched out the ECM and the tune doesnt work with the transmission. I am getting 13 mpg city. I think the AEM changed the transmission . Anyway I am getting SKT engine and Trans tune . Also I will not ever buy from GDE again they seem to think its all right to give CARB their customers info .

Well that is weird, I had the AEM done in November and swapped out my stock ECM for the GDE tuned ECM and it worked flawlessly. Couldn't be happier with the results. I also bought the SKT trans tune about a month after the GDE hot tune and they work together great.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Really weird, my tune works perfectly with my transmission. The AEM tune does change the transmission tune, earlier downshifts later upshifts. As I stated earlier my mileage went up approximately 2mpg average. Of course it improved enough that the 2.5 hour drive to OKC and 2.5 back doesn't use a full tank and makes it difficult to get a highway only average. My wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee eco which I also have installed the GDE tune, has picked up 2 mpg average. However, when she sets the cruise at 80 the mileage does decline. The performance improvement and no turbo lag over the AEM is worth the money. My RAM has 3.92 ratio, the wife's 3.44 ratio. I would believe that something is amiss with your tuned ECM, with GDE locked up by the EPA I would expect that you may have to wait until they come out with an EPA/CARB approved program before you can get a resolve.
On the CARB/EPA complaint, believe me when EPA presents you with a subpoena and a cease and desist order there is not a lot you can do.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year

You might think about trying the SKT trans tune by itself.

TooClose Racing

Dec 20, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
Very happy with my GDE Tune to date. I've put about 6000 miles on my 2015 truck since tune (installed at 16k) last Summer, I'm averaging 23-24 City driving and 26-28 mpg on the highway. Those numbers are from my dashboard calculator. I recently did my longest drive to date - a round trip from Syracuse, NY to York, PA on I-81. This is a HILLY drive and I had my expectations set low, but DAMN - my truck averaged 28 mpg! In March, I'll be towing my first trailer (full of dirt bikes and gear) to Union, SC and back. I'm very curious to see how well my Ram 1500 Tradesman does on that trip. One more thing - sorry I don't have picture - but I had my mechanic pull/clean my EGR return pipe at my last oil change (I do not have EGR delete so performing these at ~6000 miles or so) and he said that it wasn't that bad, he's seen a LOT worse. Only other comment I'll make is that I'm seeing my regen activity pretty consistent with other GDE tuned trucks on this forum - it happens about every 1000 miles or so.

Jon Bornemann

Feb 1, 2020
Truck Year
After learning all this stuff about my EcoDiesel I tried to get a GDE hot tune. Their website said they are sold out so I emailed them. Here's their response:
We were shut down by the EPA 3+ months ago. See below:
We are not able to reflash/install our tune at this time due to changes in EPA rules. Best to contact your state representative and ask them to reign in the EPA if you ever want the GDE tune. The EPA is using statute CAA 42 USC 7522 (a)(3) (A-B) to go after the after-market auto industry. We feel this rule should only cover large auto manufacturers, not older vehicles in the field.
There is an act in Congress called the RPM Act that is on the table. Please refer to below if you contact your representatives and ask them to move quickly on this bill: https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/2602/text
Sorry for the issues. If your vehicle is registered in a different country, let us know as rules are different outside the US. We hope to have CARB/EPA certified tunes for engine and trans within 3-4 months.

Thanks

GDE