• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Good stories on Ecodiesel

burwellflagin

Feb 14, 2022
Truck Year
Hello. I had my engine turn a bearing at 74k miles. Well maintained.. etc.

I read about this happening all over the interweb. 🙂

I replaced the engine out of warranty at the dealership. Now I have a new motor with a 3 yr/100,000 mile warranty.

I love the engine. However, I am scared s**tless it going to leave on the side of the road AGAIN.

I want some success stories.
And steps I can take to avoid it. Thanks!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
We have success stories here, and we also have failures.. Are you feeling lucky? :D
But seriously, anything can fail.. it's just these motors fail a bit more then the others out there.

SOMD_ECO

Jun 25, 2020
Truck Year

I replaced the engine out of warranty at the dealership. Now I have a new motor with a 3 yr/100,000 mile warranty.

I love the engine. However, I am scared s**tless it going to leave on the side of the road AGAIN.

Couple of questions. Were you tuned? If so what tune and did you have a transmission tune? If you were stock did you have the latest stock programming? From everything I read Ram did two things to address this issue. The first change was moving to 5w40. The second issue was changing transmission programming so that the engine would avoid low rpm high load situations due to resonance issues. This engine is used in a lot of applications and it looks like they tested in production in the Ram application.

burwellflagin

Feb 14, 2022
Truck Year
Thanks for the reply. Lets don't worry about the blown motor. Lets talk about the new one. It was installed in April 22. Its the latest model number that would fit in the 2016 Longhorn. I would only assume that the dealer brought it's software to current. I have had no non-stock tune on engine or transmission. I run synthetic 5w/40, just like I was on the first engine. I did add a extended capacity oil pan on this new one. (https://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/afe-engine-oil-pans/). Thanks !

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Thanks for the reply. Lets don't worry about the blown motor. Lets talk about the new one. It was installed in April 22. Its the latest model number that would fit in the 2016 Longhorn. I would only assume that the dealer brought it's software to current. I have had no non-stock tune on engine or transmission. I run synthetic 5w/40, just like I was on the first engine. I did add a extended capacity oil pan on this new one. (https://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/afe-engine-oil-pans/). Thanks !
The motors are identical from 2014 to 2019. There is no "latest model" for your engine. The newest generation will not fit in your truck.

biggrits21

Nov 24, 2019
Truck Year

How much was the engine installed?

SOMD_ECO

Jun 25, 2020
Truck Year
As i understand it the updated EGR cooler. The newest iteration motor will not fit in the old or classic body style.
Do you actually know? No one that I have seen is claiming that Ram is retrofitting Gen 3 engines for Gen 2 trucks. What has been rumored is that the Gen 2 design was modified.

Scatpack1

Oct 30, 2019
Truck Year
Question: When the dealer installed the new motor, did they install a new banjo fitting (water pipe from block to turbo)? This is a design failure in my opinion. Mine went out and several others have as well. You can see the details on Youtube for reference. The design issue, is the water pipe is 3 pieces. 2 metal ends with a rubber hose in the middle. The rubber hose is exposed to the exhaust pipe heat and will definitely fail. Dealer quoted me nearly $4500 to replace mine when it broke. I love my truck, but totally frustrated with this ecodiesel.