• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Grill cover when to use

Ricky

Dec 5, 2016
Truck Year
What temps should I put grill cover on for short city driving? and also what temps is to hot for 70mph for 70miles. it doesn't get about 43 degrees so I should be ok for both?

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
even below 20 I don't think they're necessary unless doing a bunch of in town driving, with the active grill things and the nature of the beast they will get up to operating temp just fine at highway speeds and maintain that, last thing they need is the fans kicking on, I know they're electric and don't affect mileage a whole lot, but just unnecessary for them to be kicking off and on all the time.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I have stainless grill covers that fit each individual panel, I cover the lower once it stays below 40 or so and leave them on, the active shutters only cover the top half, once it's below 10 or so degrees consistently I cover the top half, though an 80mph freeway commute for 2+ hours did merit a little high oil temps, up to 220-230 with coolant at ~217 if I recall. (Truck is constantly under load pushing the new aggressive M/T tires also so I have more generated engine heat) and there was also 9300 miles on the oil. (I've NEVER put that much on an oil change until this time usually around 8000 or less), anyways if I had the grill wide open I wouldn't have even been running at temp, and if I ever feel it's excessively warm it takes mere seconds to jump out and pull off a single upper panel, which I have done the previous winter.

Last edited:

Zigi

Mar 21, 2016
Truck Year
There was an update on my 2015 with regards to the grill covers and the necessity to use them and ram even supplied them

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
There was an update on my 2015 with regards to the grill covers and the necessity to use them and ram even supplied them
Yes there was a tsb issued for the trucks for intercooler icing up without a winter front. So every ram truck that came with a factory installed block heater CABLE is eligible and/or received a mopar winter front free of charge. Those trucks without a factory installed block heater CABLE are not eligible for the recall

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Nothing like bringing up and some of thread, but I'm gonna anyway since I believe it to be pertinent. It got really cold where I work, -51 and -30 ish at least for a week earlier this month. Didn't have a winter front on, no issue getting up to temp after putting some miles on. Biggest thing I noticed was terrible MPG's granted that is due to a lot of things, winter fuel, cold weather in general, 4wd usage, etc. so I decided once I went to the house I was gonna put a winter front on. Mine didn't come with the block heater cord so no winter front (bought in MT, you'd think it would be illegal to sell a diesel without a block heater cord in MT. I bought a cheap cord off amazon and it works awesome. Luckily I had 2 or 3, 2010 Ram HD winter fronts from all the cummins equipped rams I've had over the years so I made on of them work, mileage still isn't what it was pre winter fuel, but a warmer quicker, happier engine is returning right around 24-26 mpg, depending on the day!

Jerry

Mar 2, 2016
Truck Year
I put it on at 32 or lower. Combo city/highway. Warms up quicker happier, 23 to26mpg. Use the heater any timebelow 25. Just watch the temp happiest at 206. Recently did 175 miles at 73 with cover on. Outside temp about 25 all was well.
2016 Larimie Longhorn. 23,000.

Kevin M

Aug 18, 2016
Truck Year
Can anyone tell my why when I start my truck in the morning and the outside temp is say 30 degrees the oil temp gauge say 122 degrees.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Can anyone tell my why when I start my truck in the morning and the outside temp is say 30 degrees the oil temp gauge say 122 degrees.
It doesn't it says <122°F

The oil temperature sensor does not pick up until 122°F or greater. Therefore it says "less than 122°F"

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year