• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Harmonic Balancer Bolt

Jpop0077

Mar 13, 2023
Truck Year
Hello Forum land,
I have a 15 Ram ecodiesel. My oil pump is shot. I’m in the process of changing it out and I can not break the balancer bolt.
I’ve tried everything but turning my engine over because I have the oil pans off already.
What is the deal with this mother f-er????
Please advise! I’m fighting for my life! Lol Thanks!

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
A good thick walled impact socket and high powered impact and I would think it would come off. I know Honda engines require an extra thick wall socket to come off, not sure if ours do or not.

Jpop0077

Mar 13, 2023
Truck Year
Well, I would think so too. I was on it pretty good the other day, so good in fact the impact was starting to mess the head of the bolt up, I’m going to keep spraying it down with penetrating oil and give it another go.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I’d assume it’s righty loosy lefty tighty, I’m not 100% sure though. Let us know if you get it! A few guys here have rebuilt them so someone may chime In

Richard Bays

May 30, 2016
Truck Year
Well, I would think so too. I was on it pretty good the other day, so good in fact the impact was starting to mess the head of the bolt up, I’m going to keep spraying it down with penetrating oil and give it another go.
Try alternating tightening and loosening with the impact gun

Jpop0077

Mar 13, 2023
Truck Year
Try alternating tightening and loosening with the impact gun
I tried that also, for about 2 hours, hence why the head of the bolt is getting chewed up a bit. From my understanding it is not reverse threaded correct???

autoX

Nov 6, 2022
Truck Year

I do cars teardown, 15:00 min mark. "Reverse thread I guess" clockwise impact it spins off pretty nicely.
Heat is always a good primer - like a propane torch, but I never used one on a crank bolt.

It's a left handed thread, so if you are facing the front of the engine clockwise is the correct direction. It is torqued to 200+ ft-lbs, so I use a 4 foot cheater to break it loose. Make sure you have the engine lock tight in the side of the engine.

Jpop0077

Mar 13, 2023
Truck Year
Alright,
So the harmonic balancer bolt is reverse thread. After fighting it for a couple days by hand and borrowing a friend’s impact (which did nothing) I broke down and bought a Mil. 1400flbs impact. Zipped it right off!!!
In case anyone needs to change out their oil pump, it’s a pain in the ass. You have to drop the lower oil pan, upper oil pan, oil pick up tube, steering box off of frame ( took the steering wheel connection off and the outer tie rod end, drivers side off the wheel assembly) and transmission cooling lines.

In the front , passenger side, you have to remove the fuel pump (gear driven) a couple odds and ends and the upper timing cover.
In the front, drivers side remove the brackets, couple odds and ends, upper timing cover.
Then remove the serpentine belt, the two pulleys, harmonic balancer and a wiring harness that runs along the oil pan and the bottom timing cover. (You do not need a puller to remove the balancer wheel)
Ohh, and a piece of the under frame along with about 30 (fuck these engineers!!!) and your good to go.
Hope this helps someone down the road!

Attachments

• 98D133FD-59BF-45D1-B637-A075866847F6.jpeg
    98D133FD-59BF-45D1-B637-A075866847F6.jpeg
    463.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 07996BE3-D4D6-47B0-B00F-288AF5E0A9DD.jpeg
    07996BE3-D4D6-47B0-B00F-288AF5E0A9DD.jpeg
    434.7 KB · Views: 3