• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

have 2007 w/6.7 diesel-looking to downsize to new 1500 with ecodiesel-looking for advise on the durability of this engine

big bear bob

Jan 31, 2022
Truck Year
Not Listed
Have 2007 w/6.7 diesel-looking to downsize to new 1500 with ecodiesel - looking for advise on the durability of this engine

Micahbarnard

Dec 25, 2020
Truck Year
I believe the durability has improved some over the years. But honestly you don’t buy the EcoDiesel for durability. You buy it for efficiency. It’s king of that mountain. Expect to have problems and you won’t be surprised when you do and maybe even pleasantly surprised when you don’t. But problems included it’s likely you will save a load of money with the mileage difference especially with fuel going higher and higher. The higher it goes the more you save.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I believe the durability has improved some over the years. But honestly you don’t buy the EcoDiesel for durability. You buy it for efficiency. It’s king of that mountain. Expect to have problems and you won’t be surprised when you do and maybe even pleasantly surprised when you don’t. But problems included it’s likely you will save a load of money with the mileage difference especially with fuel going higher and higher. The higher it goes the more you save.

I agree with this statement 100%!

Htracks

Oct 1, 2021
Truck Year
Have 2007 w/6.7 diesel-looking to downsize to new 1500 with ecodiesel - looking for advise on the durability of this engine
It’s an Italian engine 😂 I’ll go with what Micah said. For me, the EPA’s regulations have caused more issues for my truck than the engine itself, but if you happen to live in an area with less restriction, you may benefit some. May also consider the manufacturer’s QC is NOT getting any better, IMO.

Herdbull

Jul 21, 2017
Truck Year
Just traded a 2015 EcoDiesel for 2022 Gen 3 EcoDiesel and the mileage improvement is significant. Just did a 600 mile trip that the 2015 was 27mpg and the 2022 did 32. The 2015 had its issues but FCA took care of them all and I put 132000 miles on it and still got more than half of what I paid for it on trade.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Just traded a 2015 EcoDiesel for 2022 Gen 3 EcoDiesel and the mileage improvement is significant. Just did a 600 mile trip that the 2015 was 27mpg and the 2022 did 32. The 2015 had its issues but FCA took care of them all and I put 132000 miles on it and still got more than half of what I paid for it on trade.

Good to hear, nice comparison... I'm assuming both trucks crew cab, 4x4?

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I have both a 2014 1500 Eco and a 2014 2500 w6.7, both crew cab 4x4. Both have DEF and catalyst. If you drive the 1500 Eco like a diesel you should have few problems and excellent fuel mileage.
Comparison:
1500 with 3.96 posi trak rear end, and 169K miles. GDE tune. Averages 25 mpg on summer diesel, 23 mpg on winter diesel. Runs like a rocket, my son-in-law thought it was a 5.7 V8. Can spin the tires at will. The catalyst and DPF were replaced at 19K under warranty due to a code falling into a TSB. I have had the EGR replacement and the AEM program, which was replaced by the GDE tune. Turbo coolant tube leak repaired by my dealer as I had recently had total knee replacement. Presently have a water pump leak, which I will be handling with after market part (GATES pump $124) I bought this truck two years old with 18K miles. This truck rides so quiet and smooth, I have pulled a Toy Hauler RV, with high oil temps my only real issue in Montana Rocky Mountain range. I installed an external oil cooler, but it started leaking oil at every hose connection after a year so I reinstalled my stock oil heat exchanger. However, I drive it like a diesel with a lot of highway time. I use a fuel additive for lubricant and system cleaning. I run an oiled cloth fabric air filter with no issues. There are many who complain about needing to clean the EGR diffuser tube due to heavy soot collection. I have found that the GDE tune helped with that issue greatly. Also since I purchased the 2500 and learned the maintenance schedule that you are required to clean the EGR diffuser on it at a mileage interval, I now don't worry about it as much. I have used Rotella T6 since I purchased the truck. I have not had to change the oil since the oil ran off the shelves here this winter. I do an oil analysis at every oil change to monitor status, with no issues to present. The real issues I have is the lack of parts support from FCA and since the extended warranty has expired I have been looking up after market parts to fill the gap often times at a great price reduction.

2500 will now take the towing duty on since we have now traded up to a heavier trailer, which exceeds the 1500 capacity. I am averaging 19 mpg on summer diesel and 17 on winter diesel. Changed oil and filters along with fuel filters. Replaced tires and brakes w/rotors. Had to use the Valvoline Premium Blue oil recommended by Cummins since Rotella T6 was unavailable. No results of oil analysis yet. Use an oiled fabric air filter. Use the same fuel additive for lubrication and fuel system cleaning. Bought it in December with 230K miles, now have 249K. Stealth tuner in the near future. After market parts are plentiful.

jcrheingans

May 26, 2022
Truck Year
I have a 2015 crew cab short bed 4x4 EcoDiesel and it is my wifes daily commuter to work and our road trip vehicle. We purchased it from the original owner with 77K on it and it now has 167K on it after 2 1/2 years. We have had 2 recalls done: The EGR cooler was replaced (no failure just an update from the dealer under warranty) and then the tone ring failed as I was pulling down my driveway and they covered it under the recall. I love the truck and we have driven it to Montana several times from Arkansas and love how comfortable and fuel efficient the drive is. Interstate we average 25-26mpg and in town and pulling the bass boat its 20-21mpg. I change the oil every 4-5000 miles with rotella T6 5w-40 and use a wix filter. Truck has been great and I would buy another one. I think I got lucky to get one that had been maintained well by an old farmer at the dealer. Im fixing to do my first rear brake job and lower ball joints are just starting to show a little play.

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
Just my opinion, if your looking for good fuel economy it sounds like a good idea, my 2 cents buy new, I would never buy a used Ecodiesel, my 2017 has been flawless but a lot have not had my experience

klauspass

Jul 1, 2019
Truck Year
I run the Lil' 3.0L Italian Diesel in my 2015 Grand Cherokee. 314,000+ miles towing everything from boat to travel trailer still on the original engine and transmission.. Now I have the pre 2018 GDE Tune. 24MPG city and 34-36Mpg Highway. Other than Brakes and Tires this lil motor, found in every Bread and Delivery truck in Europe since the late 50s is fantastic.

Eric sola

Jun 10, 2022
Truck Year
Mpg is nearly double high 20s highway but when towing back down to 13mpg I pulled 9,000 lb I also have issues with transmission overheating right at the top of my climb. I had 2008 3500 and I remember replacing that tranny every 36,000 MI so this one's at 80 no problems

A standup guy

Oct 12, 2021
Truck Year
I bought my 2016 with 62,000 mi. I've read the 2014-2015 were more problematic and they worked some things out by 2016. I've put about 8,000mi on it so far, no issues. Wasn't getting great mileage at first. Replaced air filter and fuel filter, got a GDE epa compliant tune, ran some hotshots fuel injector cleaner in it and continue to run a bit of Hotshots diesel additive. I also cleaned the EGR tube and MAP sensor. Averaged 29.5MPG on a 1.5hr freeway run at appr. 70mph to my parents house the other day. Pretty damn good for a vehicle that can tow 9,000lb. I averaged about 14mpg pulling a 5,000 lb rv trailer. Truck had plenty of oomph for towing that, no issues.

Dream Big

Feb 1, 2017
Truck Year
My 2015 has 190k miles and still runs amazing.