• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

help please - crank, no start

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
If it is the tone wheel, and you had the W58 recall, it should start and run

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
That recall is not available for my truck. I checked the mopar vin site this morning. I had the AEM...
It's my understanding that every truck that had the AEM is eligible for the W58. By your answer I assume you did not own the truck when the AEM was completed. If the AEM was completed after the W58 was announced, maybe they did the W58 at the same time as the AEM. But, if they did, you should be able to start it. Hmnnn

If I were you I would double-check what it's had and why it's not eligible for W58 as that doesn't make sense. Strange.

brianw0048

May 16, 2019
Truck Year
It's my understanding that every truck that had the AEM is eligible for the W58. By your answer I assume you did not own the truck when the AEM was completed. If the AEM was completed after the W58 was announced, maybe they did the W58 at the same time as the AEM. But, if they did, you should be able to start it. Hmnnn

If I were you I would double-check what it's had and why it's not eligible for W58 as that doesn't make sense. Strange.
I bought the truck brand new in Dec 2016. I had the AEM done in 2019.

My understanding of W58 was that it would keep the truck from failing while running. Once it was shut off, it would not restart.

I'm afraid that not throwing any codes means that it could be the HPFP...

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I bought the truck brand new in Dec 2016. I had the AEM done in 2019.

My understanding of W58 was that it would keep the truck from failing while running. Once it was shut off, it would not restart.

I'm afraid that not throwing any codes means that it could be the HPFP...
Gotcha.
I've read that. "Once it was shut off, it would not restart." before. And I've read that it is not true, it will restart. Maybe someone who knows what is correct will chime in.

I have no comments. Pleas report the conclusions

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Just a shot in the dark, it could be the lift pump but I would assume that would throw a code for low fuel pressure. Unless the hpfp is the one detecting pressure. Either way I would Check over all your fuses then grounds. Normally the tone ring throws a code when it destroys the sensor. I read the update procedure for the 58 recall (which is not eligible for my 2014 truck per the mopar website with no aem or recalls done since I got it in 2018) and it’s so poorly worded it sounds to me as if it will pretty much get you to safety it doesn’t confirm or deny the ability to restart. I hope this helps with some direction of where to start.

Attachments

• 1A9DACCA-1F05-4E38-9AF0-31F97528F8DF.png
    1A9DACCA-1F05-4E38-9AF0-31F97528F8DF.png
    574.1 KB · Views: 0

brianw0048

May 16, 2019
Truck Year
it was the fuel pump. I replaced the fuel pump and o-ring, let it prime, and it fired up. No codes were generated at all.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
DO NOT paste and copy This for any other site USE, If I see it at 1500diesel.XXX I will deleted it Myself or have the Boostn or Temp delete it

Dealer Service Instructions for: Safety Recall W58/NHTSA 20V-475Loss of CrankshaftPosition2014-2018(DS)Ram1500 Pickup2014-2018(WK)JeepGrand Cherokee NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a3.0L diesel engine (sales code EXF).NOTE: Some vehicles above may have been identified as not involved in this recall and therefore have been excluded from this recall. Remedy Available IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer used vehicle inventory. Dealers should complete this campaign service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also perform this campaign on vehicles in for service. Certain vehicles in this recall population are also in V08 or V11. Vehicles that have not been remedied for the V08 or V11 campaigns can only have the W58 service performed with the customer’s consent. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.

Safety Recall W58 –Loss of Crank Position Page 2 The magnetic material attached to the tone wheel on about 57,700 of the above vehicles provides a signal to the crankshaft position sensor. If this signal material is lost, the engine loses its ability to synchronize injector pulses and cam timing. This loss of crankshaft position can result in an engine stall, as well as loss of the ability to restart the engine. A loss of motive power can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning. Reprogram the Powertrain Control Module to maintain engine operation if the signal material is lost. Dealers should attempt to minimize customer inconvenience by placing the owner in a loaner vehicle if inspection determines that PCM reprogramming is required and the vehicle must be held over night. No parts are required to perform this service procedure.

Safety Recall W58 –Loss of Crank Position Page 3The following special tools are required to perform this repair:NPN wiTECH MicroPod IINPNLaptop ComputerNPNwiTECH Software NOTE: The wiTECH scan tool must be used to perform this recall. If the reprogramming flash for the PCM is aborted or interrupted, repeat the procedure. 1.Open the hood. Install a battery charger and verify that the charging rate provides 13.0 to 13.5 volts. Do not allow the charger to time out during the flash process. Set the battery charger timer (if so equipped) to continuous charge .NOTE: Use an accurate stand-alone voltmeter. The battery charger volt meter may not be sufficiently accurate. Voltages outside of the specified range will cause an unsuccessful flash. If voltage reading is too high, apply an electrical load by activating the park or headlamps and/or HVAC blower motor to lower the voltage.2.Connect the wiTECH micro pod II to the vehicle data link connector.3.Place the ignition in the “RUN” position.4.Open the wiTECH 2.0 website.5.Enter your “User id” and “Password” and your “Dealer Code”, then select “Sign In” at the bottom of the screen. Click “Accept”.6.From the “Vehicle Selection” screen, select the vehicle to be updated.7.From the “Action Items” screen, select the “Topology” tab. Special Tools Service Procedure

Safety Recall W58 –Loss of Crank Position Page 4NOTE: The PCM must be at the latest software calibration level after completing this recall.8.From the “Topology” tab, select the “PCM” module icon.9.From the “Flash” tab, compare the “Current Electronic Control Unit (ECU) Part Number” with the “New ECU Part Number” listed. If the “Current ECU part Number” is the same as the “New Part Number”, proceed to Step 15. If the “Current ECU part Number” is NOT the same as the “New Part Number”, continue with Step 10.10.From the PCM tab, select the PCM flash partnumber. Read the flash special instructions page. Select “OK” to continue.11.From the flash ECU agreement page, agree to terms by checking the box. 12.Select “Flash ECU” and then follow the wiTECH screen instructions to complete the flash.13.Confirm the software is at the latest available calibration level.14.Click “View DTCs”, select “Clear All DTCs”, click “Continue” and then click “Close”.15.Place the ignition in the “OFF” position and then remove the wiTECH micro pod II device from the vehicle.16.Remove the battery charger from the vehicle.17.Close the vehicle hood. Service Procedure [Continued]

Safety Recall W58 –Loss of Crank Position Page 5This recall is subject to the State of California Registration Renewal/Emissions Recall Enforcement Program. Complete a Vehicle Emission Recall Proof of Correction Form (Form No. 81-016-1053) and supply it to vehicle owners residing in the state of California for proof that this recall has been performed when they renew the vehicle registration. Process Steps to obtain the California Proof of Correction form a. Access the “Deale rCONNECT” website.b.Select the “Service” tab.c.Under the “Publications” heading, select the “ePublishing” link Sign in using your Dealer Code and Password. e.Select the“Proof of Correction form”.Claims for vehicles that have been serviced must be submitted on the Dealer CONNECT Claim Entry Screen located on the Service tab. Claims paid will be used by FCA to record recall service completions and provide dealer payments. Use one of the following labor operation numbers and time allowances: Labor Operation Number Time Allowance Inspect PCM Software Level18-W5-81-810.2 hours Inspect PCM Software Level and Reprogram PCM with New software18-W5-81-820.3hoursNOTE: See the Warranty Administration Manual, Recall Claim Processing Section, for complete recall claim processing instructions .Complete Proof of Correction Form for California Residents Completion Reporting and Reimbursement

Safety Recall W58 –Loss of Crank Position Page 6To view this notification on Dealer CONNECT ,select “Global Recall System” on the Service tab, then click on the description of this notification. All involved vehicle owners known to FCA are being notified of the service requirement by first class mail. They are requested to schedule appointments for this service with their dealers. A generic copy of the owner letter is attached. All involved vehicles have been entered into the Dealer CONNECT Global Recall System (GRS) and Vehicle Information Plus (VIP) for dealer inquiry as needed.GRS provides involved dealers with an updated VIN list of their incomplete vehicles. The owner’s name, address and phone number are listed if known. Completed vehicles are removed from GRS within several days of repair claim submission.To use this system, click on the “Service”tab and then click on “Global Recall System.”Your dealer’s VIN list for each recall displayed can be sorted by: those vehicles that were unsold at recall launch, those with a phone number, city, zip code, or VIN sequence. Dealers must perform this repair on all unsold vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also use the VIN list to follow up with all owners to schedule appointments for this repair. Recall VIN lists may contain confidential, restricted owner name and address information that was obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles of various states. Use of this information is permitted for this recall only and is strictly prohibited from all other use