• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hey I'm Den from Ontario

Den

Mar 14, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I drove a 2001 Cummins for about 12 years, just sold it and ordered a 2018 Ecodiesel but I don't have it yet, I will be using it primarily for towing a 24' travel trailer which tips the scale at 3600 Lbs dry weight, probably about 4500 lbs loaded.
Right now I'm just looking for opinions on performance and fuel economy. Thanks Den

Den

Mar 14, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I hope so John, bear with me, I'm not use to posting on forums, not sure what im doing or how to navigate here.

Gossman78

Oct 2, 2016
Truck Year
Hi Den, I just bought a 27' TT dry weight of 5480 lbs. Additional 1200lbs of people weight and it tows like a dream. 10.5 MPG up and down hills of Western Washington.

Den

Mar 14, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hi Den, I just bought a 27' TT dry weight of 5480 lbs. Additional 1200lbs of people weight and it tows like a dream. 10.5 MPG up and down hills of Western Washington.
Thanks guys, Gossman, I’m guessing that’s towing in substantial hills, glad to hear “it tows like a dream.
I’ll be driving from Ontario to Alaska and back this summer, that will be our first trip with that truck.

Den

Mar 14, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
How do you guys find that it holds back going downhill, do you need to use the brakes lots?
Do you downshift to a lower gear on downhill grades?

Gossman78

Oct 2, 2016
Truck Year
@Den, towing was up into the foothills of the Cascade Mountain range. Up to Lake Merwin. As for downhill, yeah, so you'll end up on the binders more than you like. The tow/haul mode tries but without an exhaust brake it's sub-optimal. GDE makes a tune that will actuate the vanes of the turbo to act like an exhaust brake. I'm not an expert on turbo's and their application as an exhaust brake. But to me....it seems a turbo has a specific purpose to, well, be a turbo. I've not read enough to see how they will behave in the long term as a turbo and an exhaust brake.

Den

Mar 14, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
@Den, towing was up into the foothills of the Cascade Mountain range. Up to Lake Merwin. As for downhill, yeah, so you'll end up on the binders more than you like. The tow/haul mode tries but without an exhaust brake it's sub-optimal. GDE makes a tune that will actuate the vanes of the turbo to act like an exhaust brake. I'm not an expert on turbo's and their application as an exhaust brake. But to me....it seems a turbo has a specific purpose to, well, be a turbo. I've not read enough to see how they will behave in the long term as a turbo and an exhaust brake.
Thanks for the feedback, I understand that the exhaust brake on the Cummins works the way you mentioned and works quite well.