Hi All,
Been a long-time lurker and now in the unfortunate position of finally reaching out to all you seasoned EcoDiesel owners.
I have a 2018 (Ram 1500 Trades) and recently needed to get the intake manifold replaced - had the turbo feed done at the same time. I won't go into that much but I pretty much got taken on the work.
After getting it back, the P04DB code popped along with a P20EE. It was 2 days after getting the truck back and the first time I hit the highway. It popped almost immediately. I've had the truck for maybe 4yrs and that P20EE seems to pop when the DEF is low and I end up putting in a different brand from what's in there. It's popped maybe twice in the 4yrs I've had it and been a couple years since last tripping. When I took the truck in to get the IM replaced, it was in need of DEF (600km to go or it wouldn't start). I'm generally not overly concerned about the P20EE.
Anyways, I had some place to be and couldn't get the truck immediately back to the shop so all in, I had about 50km to drive before I could get to the shop. By the time I got there, the P04DB seemed to disappear (I didn't clear any of the CEL codes when I checked with my reader) but the P20EE remained. The shop refused to look into anything P04DB related (after a little research, I found this was nothing more than ensuring some wires plugged in and hoses tightened and not cracked or anything - 15mins of work or so) and once the P20EE was cleared, the CEL went away. They just told me to drive around and see if the P04DB popped again. I was heading out of town the following morning so didn't like that they seemed to shrug-off a few minuets of double-checking their work and told them as much. My weekend was my time with my young son and as much as I don't care about the potential of being stranded, I wasn't going to be happy if the truck got code-happy with my son in it.
Well, I headed out the next morning and the morning following that, I set out to get my son. Enroute to getting him, the P20EE popped again. It's never popped twice in a short amount of time. Within 45mins of getting my son, the P04DB popped again. It was Friday so I could get it a shop to look at for piece-of-mind. I called the shop that did the IM replacement and told them I was now in a position I had to go to another shop to have the P04DB looked into. The shop manager was quite uneasy about that. I told him he had the opportunity to do it when it was brought in but he refused.
So I got it to some good old redneck boys that work specifically on diesel engines back where I'm from and it seems that it was a cracked hose on the crankcase pressure sensor assembly - a little hose maybe 4 or 5 inches long. I only got the the shop with 30mins left in the work-day and so a replacement couldn't be sourced. The lads used some electrical tape to seal it up and the CEL has remained clear since. That's 2-days and many more miles since it first popped.
So, I want to replace this hose with the proper piece but, it looks like it's only available as the "oil vapor pressure sensor" assembly and it ain't cheap, considering I'm just after the hose. So, I wondering if anyone has ran into this and has a safe and suitable alternative for use as the hose? The part# is 05146806AD. I've tried to attach a file.
The other thing that seems to be happening is a very bizarre and loud pulse maybe 3-5 times periodically from the engine. It happened when I brought it back to the shop that replaced the IM and the shop manager and head mechanic didn't bat an eye. The apprentice looked at me with a certain disbelief - the same look I imagine I had. I told them I'd never heard that sound ever and they didn't seem interested. Anyone know what that could be? Google suggests that it could be an air leak somewhere and the shop should do a smoke test. I am not very confident in the shops abilities unfortunately but I spent a lot of money on their work and I'd like to get my monies worth.
Thanks All!
H
Been a long-time lurker and now in the unfortunate position of finally reaching out to all you seasoned EcoDiesel owners.
I have a 2018 (Ram 1500 Trades) and recently needed to get the intake manifold replaced - had the turbo feed done at the same time. I won't go into that much but I pretty much got taken on the work.
After getting it back, the P04DB code popped along with a P20EE. It was 2 days after getting the truck back and the first time I hit the highway. It popped almost immediately. I've had the truck for maybe 4yrs and that P20EE seems to pop when the DEF is low and I end up putting in a different brand from what's in there. It's popped maybe twice in the 4yrs I've had it and been a couple years since last tripping. When I took the truck in to get the IM replaced, it was in need of DEF (600km to go or it wouldn't start). I'm generally not overly concerned about the P20EE.
Anyways, I had some place to be and couldn't get the truck immediately back to the shop so all in, I had about 50km to drive before I could get to the shop. By the time I got there, the P04DB seemed to disappear (I didn't clear any of the CEL codes when I checked with my reader) but the P20EE remained. The shop refused to look into anything P04DB related (after a little research, I found this was nothing more than ensuring some wires plugged in and hoses tightened and not cracked or anything - 15mins of work or so) and once the P20EE was cleared, the CEL went away. They just told me to drive around and see if the P04DB popped again. I was heading out of town the following morning so didn't like that they seemed to shrug-off a few minuets of double-checking their work and told them as much. My weekend was my time with my young son and as much as I don't care about the potential of being stranded, I wasn't going to be happy if the truck got code-happy with my son in it.
Well, I headed out the next morning and the morning following that, I set out to get my son. Enroute to getting him, the P20EE popped again. It's never popped twice in a short amount of time. Within 45mins of getting my son, the P04DB popped again. It was Friday so I could get it a shop to look at for piece-of-mind. I called the shop that did the IM replacement and told them I was now in a position I had to go to another shop to have the P04DB looked into. The shop manager was quite uneasy about that. I told him he had the opportunity to do it when it was brought in but he refused.
So I got it to some good old redneck boys that work specifically on diesel engines back where I'm from and it seems that it was a cracked hose on the crankcase pressure sensor assembly - a little hose maybe 4 or 5 inches long. I only got the the shop with 30mins left in the work-day and so a replacement couldn't be sourced. The lads used some electrical tape to seal it up and the CEL has remained clear since. That's 2-days and many more miles since it first popped.
So, I want to replace this hose with the proper piece but, it looks like it's only available as the "oil vapor pressure sensor" assembly and it ain't cheap, considering I'm just after the hose. So, I wondering if anyone has ran into this and has a safe and suitable alternative for use as the hose? The part# is 05146806AD. I've tried to attach a file.
The other thing that seems to be happening is a very bizarre and loud pulse maybe 3-5 times periodically from the engine. It happened when I brought it back to the shop that replaced the IM and the shop manager and head mechanic didn't bat an eye. The apprentice looked at me with a certain disbelief - the same look I imagine I had. I told them I'd never heard that sound ever and they didn't seem interested. Anyone know what that could be? Google suggests that it could be an air leak somewhere and the shop should do a smoke test. I am not very confident in the shops abilities unfortunately but I spent a lot of money on their work and I'd like to get my monies worth.
Thanks All!
H