• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hitch Load Limit 2018 Ram 1500 ED Laramie

Tcretro

Dec 25, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 7 x 14 cargo trailer that I am converting to a toy hauler and wanted to be mindful of how much weight I am putting on the tongue. Empty it is about 225 lbs. I don't know what the hitch limit is on my truck. After using the trailer to move my sons welding shop I had quite a few trips, some that would have been heavy on the hitch and a few that were lighter on the hitch. I would much rather have a little more weight on the hitch than have the hitch be too light. Any comments from the more experienced would be appreciated. I want to be able to strike a good balance because some times their will be a couple dirt bikes in the trailer and sometimes not. Thanks much.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
Do you have a receiver type hitch? If so it's probably rated 500 lbs tongue wt, you can use load leveler hitches and take some of the load off, can also use a sway control to help control the trailer.

Tcretro

Dec 25, 2019
Truck Year
Yes I should have mentioned that I have a 2” receiver and a 2” ball. Thanks for the reminder about the load leveler hitches.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
A good rule of thumb is 10-15%, so an 8,000# loaded trailer = 800# to 1,200# tongue weight.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
If you don’t have air ride I would definitely invest in some bags. I did the 1000hd in mine and I pull my 7x12 enclosed pretty much daily and it made a world of difference. I won’t pull a trailer without air in them now lol

Ironcity

Dec 16, 2020
Truck Year
Google 2018 Ram trailer towing chart. It shows all configurations for your truck and payloads and towing maximums. If you have a factory receiver, I believe it is a class4. The towing chart states the class 4 receivers have a 1100lb max hitch weight rating. You aren’t getting close to that with your trailer loaded.

I have a 7 x 14 cargo trailer that I am converting to a toy hauler and wanted to be mindful of how much weight I am putting on the tongue. Empty it is about 225 lbs. I don't know what the hitch limit is on my truck. After using the trailer to move my sons welding shop I had quite a few trips, some that would have been heavy on the hitch and a few that were lighter on the hitch. I would much rather have a little more weight on the hitch than have the hitch be too light. Any comments from the more experienced would be appreciated. I want to be able to strike a good balance because some times their will be a couple dirt bikes in the trailer and sometimes not. Thanks much.

Tcretro

Dec 25, 2019
Truck Year
Google 2018 Ram trailer towing chart. It shows all configurations for your truck and payloads and towing maximums. If you have a factory receiver, I believe it is a class4. The towing chart states the class 4 receivers have a 1100lb max hitch weight rating. You aren’t getting close to that with your trailer loaded.
Thanks much, I’m gonna check that out.