• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I’m new...tell me about your 2020 EcoDiesel

Lizard462436

Jul 4, 2020
Truck Year
Not Listed
I’m lurking here and looking for info on the 2020 EcoDiesel, good and bad. I expect to tow a 3500lb trailer (3,000 mi/yr), off road use about 2K / year, the rest a combo hwy/city drive.

Mxvet0354

Apr 20, 2020
Truck Year
Well....I had a very rough start with mine, to the point of it requiring a complete engine replacement with under 300 miles. New engine was installed and no problems since, about 2,000 miles now. Love the power delivery, love the ride and mileage. Mine is a 2020 Bighorn 4x4 Sport with the Off-road package. Averaging about 24.2 combined and close to 29 on the highway.

Hopefully after the rough start, it will be a dependable truck. I plan to be "missing a few parts" as it becomes available for the 2020 model.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Unless its used for HWY, its only time before it sucks up your wallet.

2020 has technology that was dropped by most Power plant Makers. Now change out to missing parts will be a big plus, The problem is you have 2 EGRs to cap plus the DPF routing... and sensors My Guess $$$$$

Lizard462436

Jul 4, 2020
Truck Year
Not Listed
Unless its used for HWY, its only time before it sucks up your wallet.

2020 has technology that was dropped by most Power plant Makers. Now change out to missing parts will be a big plus, The problem is you have 2 EGRs to cap plus the DPF routing... and sensors My Guess $$$$$
I see from you moniker that you are ”no longer Eco owner”. Does this mean you had a 2020 then got rid of it? Do you have actual experience with the 2020 or is this just a guess/opinion of the 2020? One of the reasons I ask these questions are...1. I specifically asked for input from 2020 owners and 2. I’ve seen many of your posts on this site and you seem extremely negative towards the Dodge ecodiesel in general. Just trying To get a feel for where you’re coming from. Thanks for your reply and taking the time to expand if you would.

Lizard462436

Jul 4, 2020
Truck Year
Not Listed
Well....I had a very rough start with mine, to the point of it requiring a complete engine replacement with under 300 miles. New engine was installed and no problems since, about 2,000 miles now. Love the power delivery, love the ride and mileage. Mine is a 2020 Bighorn 4x4 Sport with the Off-road package. Averaging about 24.2 combined and close to 29 on the highway.

Hopefully after the rough start, it will be a dependable truck. I plan to be "missing a few parts" as it becomes available for the 2020 model.
Thanks for your reply!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I see from you moniker that you are ”no longer Eco owner”. Does this mean you had a 2020 then got rid of it? Do you have actual experience with the 2020 or is this just a guess/opinion of the 2020? One of the reasons I ask these questions are...1. I specifically asked for input from 2020 owners and 2. I’ve seen many of your posts on this site and you seem extremely negative towards the Dodge ecodiesel in general. Just trying To get a feel for where you’re coming from. Thanks for your reply and taking the time to expand if you would.

I have over 40 years of experience in combustion engine, both Gas and DSL, I left gas decades ago and focus on DSL.

3.0VM (Motori) is a rats nest at best, its surround by QC and designed flaws....Also if you do a search you will find My posting on the 3.0 back in 2015 all care true, the highlighted one was I claimed the tuning was conditional and would fail CAA laws , JAN 2017 the US Gov agree with Me, I was 1.5 years before FCA changed the oil spec of MS11106 to the lube I specially mentioned right down to the spec. I also posted years in advance that the 3.0 was puking at rates of 250+ engines per month in 2015-16 it was confirmed for almost 1.5 years the 3.0 was puking at industry rates 100 times higher. Industry STD minimum is 1 per 1000 rotating mass failure, the 3.0 was failing at 125 per 1000.

I could go on and on Fire's, rotating mass puking, Exchanger , Tone ring , EGR, lift pump, gear, turbo failures at rates 10 to 100 times higher than industry STDs.

I received many phone calls on Puke 3.0 past warranty sitting because the owners just don't have the $$$$$ to replace the overseas MFG power plant at 10 times the cost of its counter gas engine.

Their is no evidence to provide that VM made the changes to fix all its short comings, In fact VM just added technology that many have dropped in the 2020. IMO the only way to save the Ram Eco is Fait Power tech engine. ( FPT has robust DSL's) Even VM has dropped its ad campaign connect to the Eco 3.0.

I bleed DSL but this VM 3.0 is no more then Hero-Zero, nothing is normal about it, You get a Hero their good, get a Zero and your Bank account will be taking big withdraws in long term ownership.

Right now the sales ratio of Gas VS DSL in 1/2 ton is 80/100 to 1, Just not enough sold to really make comparison to 2014-19, Why risk the $. IMO the 2020 is still over engineered and under developed, The engine original purpose was 3200Lbs Car 2005-6 GM/VM, not 6K truck.

Their are some high mileage (HWY) 3.0s , but the ratio my guess for every 1 200K miles error free is 1-200 Zero's

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
O I need to add, I owned 2015 for 4.2 Years, My maintenances was Stellar, Yet at 44K miles it needed New Intake/EGR, it was sooted up bad.

I just check the record on the 2015, it just had the Tone ring and turbo replaced, at 54K miles.

Mxvet0354

Apr 20, 2020
Truck Year
Many people "tune" the EGR (large issue this this engine) and also the DEF system out of the equation. Both contribute to ongoing problems with the 3.0 engine. There are SO many threads here you can read until you are sick of reading. You can delete these systems entirely and give this little motor a fighting chance, the EPA regulations choke them down, soot builds up and big $$$ and time to fix. I am willing to risk my warranty to remove these problem parts and systems. Some choose to wait until the warranty is up but many suffer through problem after problem at the dealership and then ultimately have the same set of issues when the warranty is over.

I am NOT diesel mechanic but do understand mechanical, electrical and pneumatic systems. The regulations require all this equipment to meet certain standards, more complex = more problems......simple is always better. Think the old 12V Cummins.

Still going to give mine a chance as I really enjoy everything about it. The power delivery is absolutely great, coming from a 3/4 ton diesel, it is just different from a gas motor. I may regret it down the road but I made the choice and plan to make the best of it with good maintenance and good planning.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
MX, I now support missing parts upgrade... So true on giving the motor a fighting chance...If VM controls the QC it would be a power plant worthy of My support. I just don't see how VM going do do this W/O FPT intervention.

Mxvet0354

Apr 20, 2020
Truck Year
OP, don't mean to steal your thread...... hopefully more solid information will be added.

TC, you seem to have some inside knowledge on VM. Do you feel there is any chance FPT could or would ever step in and improve the quality situation at VM or are they totally different entities?

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
VM and Fiat Powertrain are working on the Gen 4 version of this engine now. If they do not change the block, than all is a mute point. VM has been pushed more toward the Mercury boat line and more on the industrial side. You can cost the parent company 1.5 billion and continue like nothing happened. We are still waiting for them to call and ask for help. A brand new engine could be developed for under 50 million.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
GDE, WOW you got that right....why in the heck is Fiat still prostituting's itself with VM 3.0 is beyond hideous. They could have retooled VM R&D another power plant for what 500 million. Fait has the resources to correct this and regain the 1/2 Ton market ...I only have one word for it Fiats management Idiots!!!

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
These kinds of problems are rampant in companies where the bean counters are now making the decisions. The days of decisions made for product quality and customer satisfaction are long gone.

Lizard462436

Jul 4, 2020
Truck Year
Not Listed
So it would appear only one person on this forum actually owns and is willing to post their experience with a 2020 EcoDiesel. This thread should be called, what do you think of VM. Ciao!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The 2020 just is not selling, and the 2020 is still manufactured in Cento... MX, verified the same QC in 2020... Very few pervious 3.0 owners are willing to Trade to 2020.

On Edit Most dealers stock is 100 Gas to 1 DSL 1500 2020. 7 6.7 Cummins to 1 6.4 3500, 5 6.7 Cummins to 5 6.4 2500.

Last edited:

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
So it would appear only one person on this forum actually owns and is willing to post their experience with a 2020 EcoDiesel. This thread should be called, what do you think of VM. Ciao!
Looks like your topic totally got hijacked!