• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I loved my eco diesel until blowed motor

Road 1705

Jun 30, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 2014 Laramie that was really a good truck at first. Then I started experiencing loss of mpg. This was followed by the DEF sending unit having to be replaced. That entailed an entire new tank because the sending unit is part of the tank. About $1500. This has been followed by a knocking sound coming from the engine and guess what. The lower end bearings are bad making a new engine necessary at just under $14000. The total miles on the vehicle is 121203.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome!

Sounds like you're one of the unlucky ones. Whats your plans? $14K sounds like a dealer quote. Perhaps find a used engine and have a local mechanic swap it? I'd imagine you could save $6-9K if you shop around and find a decent mechanic that doesn't charge out the roof.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 2014 Laramie that was really a good truck at first. Then I started experiencing loss of mpg. This was followed by the DEF sending unit having to be replaced. That entailed an entire new tank because the sending unit is part of the tank. About $1500. This has been followed by a knocking sound coming from the engine and guess what. The lower end bearings are bad making a new engine necessary at just under $14000. The total miles on the vehicle is 121203.
That really sucks, I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. No one wants this ever to happen to such an expensive investment.

Out of curiosity, were you using Rotella T6 oil? or the original Euro 5W30 oil? I'd hesitate on putting in a used one, you don't know what it's been through and if it'll happen again on the used one. But it's a big investment to put in a new one, gotta decide if the truck is worth it at this point. How's the frame, is it in good condition? Is it worth investing in? Or could that $14,000 go toward the deposit of a new truck?

Last edited:

Road 1705

Jun 30, 2019
Truck Year
Up until 94000 I was using the Euro 5w-30. I changed oil every 9000 miles. The last two oil changes were Rotella T-6. I still have been using Mopar oil and fuel filters. I use this truck for work so yes I’m replacing the engine with a new one and I will keep it for a while and see what else can happen, nothing I hope. Everything else is good. The body is dent free new tires and good inside.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
Up until 94000 I was using the Euro 5w-30. I changed oil every 9000 miles. The last two oil changes were Rotella T-6. I still have been using Mopar oil and fuel filters. I use this truck for work so yes I’m replacing the engine with a new one and I will keep it for a while and see what else can happen, nothing I hope. Everything else is good. The body is dent free new tires and good inside.
I know my dealer said that the Euro 5W30 was way too thin for this truck, in his words, it was like running on piss.

I have a 2016 and I switched to Rotella after about 5000 km from when I got it new, so hopefully the first 5000 km running Euro blend didn't do a lot of damage, only time will tell. Soon as I heard of the oil recall, I dumped the Euro stuff out...

Just curious if anyone using Rotella T6 has had lower bearing failure? Wondering if it's due to the oil or bad design flaw?? I feel my days are numbered everytime I log onto this forum...

Hopefully this truck lasts me a few good years before major expenses. I baby it and take very good care of it.