• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I'm looking to buy a 2016 Ecodiesel...Is it worth it? What to look for?

KnowFear

Nov 28, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks for looking. I'm looking to buy a 2016 EcoDiesel with 60k. It's been at the dealership for 6 months now and they claim that the used car manager has been using it since its gained 2k miles and now it's going back up for sale since he's driving a different vehicle now. They are selling it for a very good price.
I'm very mechanical and work on gas cars all the time on the side, never have I serviced a diesel, but I have driven them so I know about the regen process. I do use Snap-on Mitchell software for servicing so I can see some of the Ecodiesel track history, but not a lot since it looks like most everyone is still under warranty and uses the dealer for most service work. Most of my driving is like 90/10 highway over city at around 100 miles per day. I do have a 4500 lb boat I pull around over the summer. So I'm wanting to know is it a worth while investment to buy even with the known issues being caused by the emissions regulations on this motor? Will there be very minimal issues because of my driving mostly highway? It just had the AME done so another 4yrs/48k miles of warranty, but I'm still contemplating doing the EGR delete if I get it to save the motor from soot. I currently drive a 2012 Sequoia that been trouble free for 170,000 so it could be a big change worrying about issues.

Any advise that could be offered up would be great like.... what to look for....what to try and do to see how it responds...since I'm going to drive 150 miles on Black Friday to go check it out. If I love it like the others I've test driven I might just pull the trigger. Thanks for reading and thanks for any advise in advance!!!

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
welcome 2 the group there r problems with 99% of the ecos if it is tuned u ha e a lot less problems the warranty ain't worth shit the dealers can't fix them and the company fmc does not care what happens 2 your truck

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The VM3.0 is not the Dsl you want to be your 1st experience. the 2014-19 If future repairs are needed will problematic.

Its also under mandated Safety re-call, so the dealer is selling you Illegally in America, Yes their is the USED-CAR=Loophole. unless the dealership signs that they are totally responsible for any/all damages related to the re-call move on.

I live and bleed Dsl, I will never own another European Dsl until the QC is fixed in Europe. Its just to risky.

Now that being said at 60K mileage even a Laramie loaded IMO would need to be $25/26K or forget it. The ED 3.0 value diminishing faster than Cady's.

The Deals on New 2019 Gas is amazing good...If you have the right connections and the $$$$$ Limited 2019 can be had at $53-55K

Back in June My 2019 Limited was less than $51K, the WS was $68,380.00

You will not recover the residual cost on any 3.0 Dsl in the future..and if you have a major repair out of warranty in long term ownership You will hate VM.

The mileage is a none issue My 2019+ get's great Mileage for 5.7. Dsl her in MN is 50-60 Cents higher than Gas do the math unless you put 250K miles on the 3.0 error free you loose $.

KnowFear

Nov 28, 2019
Truck Year
Thank you for the response.

The truck I am looking at is a loaded Laramie for 26k. It does come with the transferable 5yr/100k warranty and since they did the reprogram it has 4yr/45k of full coverage on the drivetrain, so only an extra 5000 miles over the 100k. I was going to do the GDE hot flash with EGR delete before 100k so I don't ruin the motor before the warranty expires. However, with the more time I've had to read about issues and fixes it leaves me waffling on whether or not to pull the trigger because I love the idea, power and mpg over my Sequoia's average of 16 mpg. Maybe buy a beater and not worrying about it is a better idea to let the dust settle on this one before making the dsl leap.

I have two uncles with the Ram Cummins and they both absolutely love them, but they do a lot of traveling with a travel trailer and boat daisy chained together getting 20 MPG on any given day pulling both of them with no loss of power and my Sequoia gets 11 MPG with the boat attached.

I'm in MN too and around me it's 25 to 40 cents more per gallon for diesel.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Thank you for the response.

The truck I am looking at is a loaded Laramie for 26k. It does come with the transferable 5yr/100k warranty and since they did the reprogram it has 4yr/45k of full coverage on the drivetrain, so only an extra 5000 miles over the 100k. I was going to do the GDE hot flash with EGR delete before 100k so I don't ruin the motor before the warranty expires. However, with the more time I've had to read about issues and fixes it leaves me waffling on whether or not to pull the trigger because I love the idea, power and mpg over my Sequoia's average of 16 mpg. Maybe buy a beater and not worrying about it is a better idea to let the dust settle on this one before making the dsl leap.

I have two uncles with the Ram Cummins and they both absolutely love them, but they do a lot of traveling with a travel trailer and boat daisy chained together getting 20 MPG on any given day pulling both of them with no loss of power and my Sequoia gets 11 MPG with the boat attached.

I'm in MN too and around me it's 25 to 40 cents more per gallon for diesel.

Known Fear call Me.
I was vested into Dodge Franchise some years Back, Now I'm vested in FMC corp. I love Ram, and I care deeply about this site and Boostn future. I am now Challenging VM with all My contacts at FCA (FCA is NOT the problem its VM/Fiat)

Stay away from 1500diesel.com.. stay here Visit that site from time to time for touchtone purposes ONLY, VernDiesel and Crash visit this site Occasionally, I give Vern a hard time and he's used to it... My KT down the road is $2.33 for Gas Dsl is 2.87. Speedway is 2.95 Dsl.

I also have other Rams 2012-2013-2014-2018-2019 Mixed Dsl Gas, My 2019 5.7 Limited 2-4GPM better than My 2014-12. same 5.7.
I just post the WS , you know the Internet ,It did'nt happen W/O Pic
2019 Ram Limited W_S.jpg

GAPO11

Nov 18, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks for looking. I'm looking to buy a 2016 EcoDiesel with 60k. It's been at the dealership for 6 months now and they claim that the used car manager has been using it since its gained 2k miles and now it's going back up for sale since he's driving a different vehicle now. They are selling it for a very good price.
I'm very mechanical and work on gas cars all the time on the side, never have I serviced a diesel, but I have driven them so I know about the regen process. I do use Snap-on Mitchell software for servicing so I can see some of the Ecodiesel track history, but not a lot since it looks like most everyone is still under warranty and uses the dealer for most service work. Most of my driving is like 90/10 highway over city at around 100 miles per day. I do have a 4500 lb boat I pull around over the summer. So I'm wanting to know is it a worth while investment to buy even with the known issues being caused by the emissions regulations on this motor? Will there be very minimal issues because of my driving mostly highway? It just had the AME done so another 4yrs/48k miles of warranty, but I'm still contemplating doing the EGR delete if I get it to save the motor from soot. I currently drive a 2012 Sequoia that been trouble free for 170,000 so it could be a big change worrying about issues.

Any advise that could be offered up would be great like.... what to look for....what to try and do to see how it responds...since I'm going to drive 150 miles on Black Friday to go check it out. If I love it like the others I've test driven I might just pull the trigger. Thanks for reading and thanks for any advise in advance!!!

81k miles downriver the road and 4 years later. Now I know! So, No to your question. I would not buy the ED Ram. First, so many recalls. Second, always been confused about that “Eco” part. Economical? Certainly not. Evidently when you buy this product from FCA, you are now working for them on their terms and their schedule. Ecological? Ha!
I sang praises of this ED1500 Ram until I didn’t. Back to Ford I go.

[/QUOTEp

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Gap011, Just revisit Ram gas vehicles, the 2019-20 is appealing, and right now more Truck for less cost than anything thing Ford has.

KnowFear

Nov 28, 2019
Truck Year
Well I went and checked it out. I had to ask myself where's the power, where's that fun diesel. There was no throw you back in your seat torque. I passed on it and when I got home I checked out the 2014 that was powerful and fun to drive. It has not had the recall done so I believe that I now know what everyone is experiencing. I'm going to go test another 1 or 2 more and see what I can find out because without the possibility of a Hot flash because of the EPA I'm going to stick with gasser because that performance is not what I envisioned for a diesel. To many issues with the 2014 to consider even though it ran like a champ and had me smiling since it has not been updated yet.

GAPO11

Nov 18, 2019
Truck Year
Well, look what I got in the mail just now:50D35071-540F-45BA-9B5A-761652879D6C.jpeg
Let’s open ‘er up and take a peek!
B79A9691-5E44-4DC8-852F-03B377654625.jpeg
Notice the line: “The remedy for this condition is not currently available.”
73AEE313-2E60-429F-B693-3F7E70636EAF.jpeg