• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

In the market for an ED

New 2017 or used and get a new 2019 when ED is released.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Julex

Jan 31, 2018
I've been looking at the Ecodiesel's for a long while now. My last truck was a 2013 F150 with the 5.0 engine, which was okay, but I had a lot of issues with the transmission, that any dealer I took it to under warranty, there only fix was to flash the ECU... So anyways, I drove a 2017 Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi with my 7k pound trailer 1200 miles, and was severely disappointed in the fuel economy on the truck, but I feel like the ED is exactly what I need as my main DD.

I'm sort of in a conundrum, The timing of the new face lift and the current FIAT emissions issue, has me in a situation. Used Ram 1500 Laramie ED are nearly the same price as a new 17 1500 Laramie ED, but I really like the interior (not so much the exterior) of the new 2019's. There is a really great price (never too good to be true) 2014 Ram Longhorn ED, but has 150k miles on it.

So, I'm trying to decide,
Is the 150k 2014 ED reliable enough (1 owner, 36k miles a year with the driver, no incidents and clean carfax with oil changes recorded, really good condition inside and out) to last 2 years, 18-25k miles, till the New 2019-2020 roll out with the ED. Or should I just roll with a 2017 and be happy with a nice comfy warranty.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Unless a person can show me maintenance records for the entire lifespan of used EcoDiesel, I'm scared to buy one otherwise. But that's just me!

The 2019's are looking great, perhaps you can get something used for the time being until you can get into one of those?

Julex

Jan 31, 2018
Appreciate the reply, that's sort of what I need to hear, if it's that much of a risk, probably not worth the investment of time and money. We were looking at used ones, to extend out till the new body styles come out and get the ED, but used truck prices are crazy compared to new vehicles, unless they have high miles.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
It's probably an unpopular answer here, but we have to many stories of issues and I hate to not include that in my thought process while recommending a used EcoDiesel to someone.. It's a shame I singled out a vehicle with high miles, because really when we have issues reported here it's not the ones with 100K +, it's the ones under 70K it seems like.

Julex

Jan 31, 2018
Well, having an upfront answer is the best thing for me in my situation, so I appreciate it. That's the only reason I was considering it, is most of the issues I've read about motor problems are, really low mileage trucks. But then I read about these trucks with 150-200k and no issues. Obviously the last owner got rid of it, and most people get rid of trucks for two reasons, they want better, or are having issues.

Again, thanks for the info! Still now a debate whether to go with a 2017 or wait for the new ones. Really interested in what they look like in person

spaightlabs

Feb 11, 2018
Truck Year
Julex - you don't say where you are from. A lot of discounts/rebates are regional. I'm in Colorado and at Brandon Dodge I got $17,000 off of a $56,000 Laramie with virtually no brain damage at all.

Easy decisions for me to go with a '17 at that point - the '19's ain't gonna price like that.

Good luck on your decision.

Julex

Jan 31, 2018
Thanks! I'm over in western NC, prices are about 48k for the 2017s, but 4 hours away they are in the 40-45k. We are still considering them at 40k, but any more and it's worth waiting, I feel.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Thanks! I'm over in western NC, prices are about 48k for the 2017s, but 4 hours away they are in the 40-45k. We are still considering them at 40k, but any more and it's worth waiting, I feel.

Don't be afraid to drive to get a good deal.