• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Inconsistent dipstick reading

SignGuy

Sep 26, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
My truck has been sitting for a few days on level ground. I go out and check the oil, just pull the dipstick and the level show's between min & max. I wipe it off and put it back in and do one more check and now it's above the Max? I do it again and repeatedly show's above the max. I try it again the next day and it's above the max line. I'm thinking I'll drain out a little fluid. Any ideas on what the heck is going on? Should I just go with the initial reading after it had sat for 4 days? Bueller?

SignGuy

Sep 26, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed

John

Nov 13, 2015
Definitely don't drain any unless you overfilled it (more than 10.5 quarts).

From the owners manual

NOTE: It is possible for your oil level to be slightly
higher than a previous check. This would be due to diesel
fuel that may temporarily be in the crankcase due to
operation of the diesel particulate filter regeneration
strategy. This fuel will evaporate out under normal
operation.

SLT

Mar 28, 2016
Truck Year
I have the same problem. I think this has been addressed here before. It is a design problem in my opinion. Take a look how the
Dipstick Tube is shaped. Once you pulled out the Dipstick, there is now Oil in most area in the Tube and you never get a reading
anymore. So, you can only do it once. I check mine first thing in the morning. Someone here on the Forum pointed out that there
is a O Ring on the top of the Dipstick. As the Oil cools overnight it creates a vacuum in the Tube so the Oil can't get back in the Tube
until the Seal is broken. I have pulled the Dipstick up on a hot engine, just enough to see the O Ring. Then in the morning push the
Dipstick in all the way, wait a few seconds and then check. Now the Level is at the Full mark.

SignGuy

Sep 26, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have the same problem.. As the Oil cools overnight it creates a vacuum in the Tube so the Oil can't get back in the Tube
until the Seal is broken. I have pulled the Dipstick up on a hot engine, just enough to see the O Ring. Then in the morning push the
Dipstick in all the way, wait a few seconds and then check. Now the Level is at the Full mark.
I think you are on to something here, I'll try that the next time. Thanks

Reactions: SLT