• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Injector pump failure.

Joebet

Jun 17, 2020
Truck Year
I am sure I saw a thread on this but now unable to find. I have a 2016 Laramie with 70,000 miles on it. Driving along and engine light comes on and as I am maneuvering to get off the highway the "low oil pressure" light comes on and she starts bucking as i roll to stop and shut down. Towed to dealer and they tell me its a fuel filter, ( I replaced same 4000 miles earlier at oil change). They replace it still won't start. Order an injection pump but "still having problems so order injectors. Awaiting the report but now seriously concerned about internals of engine and competency of dealer. Any advice out there. Thanks in advance.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
As you were driving along, did it shift down a gear or 2 right before it died?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Sounds like tone ring failure, why are you/they replacing Injectors Pump, If Dealer is that incompetent you will have future issue's.

Even an expert like Myself has label this engine as a failure and will never own another 3.0VM.

Did the dealer check lift pump pressure, the CP4 takes maybe 10 minutes to check health on engine. LMBO on Injectors.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
^^^^ This is what I was getting at, if they get a little extra rpm and the ring let's go.
You sure need a dealer that doesn't just throw stuff at it

Joebet

Jun 17, 2020
Truck Year
I don't recall it shifting down but I guess that could have been some of the buckking. What is a tone ring? This dealership had provided excellent service when my EGR cooler leaked at 20,000 miles and thats why I had it towed and extra 100.00 bucks worth but worried this time around. Wondering how to just get engine replaced too. Still waiting for there response today.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
Tone ring is the crankshaft position sensor so that the computer knows when to fire which injectors. Its turning into a common failure and the transmission needs to be pulled to fix it

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Laughing My Butt off.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
I'm guessing he about "laughed his but off"
That the dealer thought injectors would fix the problem

Joebet

Jun 17, 2020
Truck Year
Thats Funny. Thankfully still under warranty but worrried how this turns out. Will post todays dealer response.

Joebet

Jun 17, 2020
Truck Year
Well picked up a rental car from the dealer. Truck was not in shop and the dealer states that it runs fine then missfires and they are not sure what to do. They are reaching back to Ram for advice. The only things they have replaced are a fuel pump and an injector pump. Opened a "care team claim as well". Any ideas?

Mac

Jun 13, 2020
Truck Year
Sounds like tone ring failure, why are you/they replacing Injectors Pump, If Dealer is that incompetent you will have future issue's.

Even an expert like Myself has label this engine as a failure and will never own another 3.0VM.

Did the dealer check lift pump pressure, the CP4 takes maybe 10 minutes to check health on engine. LMBO on Injectors.

You are not instilling confidence in my purchase, TC. I just got my first ecodiesel.

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
You are not instilling confidence in my purchase, TC. I just got my first ecodiesel.
I have had mine for almost 3 years been a great dependable truck, TC is or has become a Eco hater for what ever reason, it's a truck and it's a small diesel engine just maintain it and move on there is more in life that what you read here

Reactions: Mac

Mac

Jun 13, 2020
Truck Year
That was how I was going into this... I am good to my vehicles. I want this truck to last 10+ years. Thanks Ronald, I needed to here that.

Joebet

Jun 17, 2020
Truck Year
This truck has had all maintanence done on or before scheduled.

• Sad
Reactions: Mac

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I have had mine for almost 3 years been a great dependable truck, TC is or has become a Eco hater for what ever reason, it's a truck and it's a small diesel engine just maintain it and move on there is more in life that what you read here

LMBO, You need to remove the blinders or get better sources for your info, 1000s of 3.0VM have complete failure on QC, 100s of Owners are on 2nd and 3rd Engine, Fires on a scale still climbing at hates that are/should be alarming.

Motori VM has drop its ad campaign on the Eco 3.0VM its only time (Short) before this engine production is stopped

The 3.0VM history is laden with issue's, They are Hero or Zero engine, and its only time that MOST 3.0VM Hero's become Zero's., Plenum , Turbo, EGR, SCR, Water pump, Exchangers, Glow plugs , Gear, Rotating mass, electronics, Tone ring, in tank, DEF failures.

Yep I don't hate the 3.0 I hate what the 3.0 has become and is still becoming.

Fires, at this point the 3.0VM has burned down two garages, One of the fire would have consumed the entire Home if it would not have been the quick response of the Local FD. I could post another 50+ pictures of fires, and these are the only one's I know of.

The best Advice I can give 3.0VM owners is illegal, remove everything related to emissions, and hope the QC is one out of ???? because this engine is still recording failures in the 100K+ miles range.Ecodiesel_fire_6.jpgecodiesel fire .jpgEco fire2.jpegeco fire trailer - Copy.jpgeco fire - Copy.jpegECodiesel_fire1.jpg

Joebet

Jun 17, 2020
Truck Year
June 25th dealer calls to say they are going to replace fuel pressure regulator next and do the EGR cooler recall. Still waiting.

Joebet

Jun 17, 2020
Truck Year
July 6th, Truck still at dealer. Now putting in low pressure fuel pump that is located inside the tank. Still can't get it to run right. Any thoughts on what they are chasing?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Generally, the in tank pumps are on and working or off Dead, That being said if it cannot produce 50+ PSI it will NOT overcome the COV in the CP4, thus it will stay shut, NOT allowing combustion or internal Fuel Pressure.