• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Intro and P0198 Engine code

Moose1269

Mar 16, 2019
Truck Year
Good afternoon, I’m new to the forum so just sending out a hello from Barrie Ontario. I own a 2016 Ram 1500 eco diesel outdoorsman. My extended warranty ran out at 120000km and I’m at 146000km currently. My truck has an engine code which comes and goes P0198. I know it’s a Engine oil Temp sensor high. From what I have read so far I should clean terminals first and if that doesn’t clear the code then replace the oil temp sensor. Does anyone know where the sensor is located on the eco diesel and doe I require any special socket or wrench to change the sensor. And one last thing, if purchasing at a auto parts store, how much am I looking at in Canadian funds. Thanks again!

John

Nov 13, 2015
I've seen this a couple times and it was a bad oil temp. sensor. They will sometimes leak a little oil at the wring harness connector and throw that code. It's located on the oil filter assembly and it's Part # 68142898AA Sensor-oil temperature

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
The oil temperature sensor (3) is located on the oil filter housing next to the engine oil cooler.

I bought a CD off ebay that is the factory shop manual. It has all three engines that go in the 1500 and cost 17 bucks. It is not exactly a perfect copy but pretty good. it answered your question.

Moose1269

Mar 16, 2019
Truck Year
Excellent! Thanks very much for the helpful information, and too boot I get the schematic as well!! I’ll pick the part up Monday and get it done. I’ll let you all know how it works out. Thanks again...you guys are a great help!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I bought a CD off ebay that is the factory shop manual. It has all three engines that go in the 1500 and cost 17 bucks. It is not exactly a perfect copy but pretty good. it answered your question.

You have a link to the one your purchased? Most of the Haynes one don't include the EcoDiesel from what I've noticed.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Excellent! Thanks very much for the helpful information, and too boot I get the schematic as well!! I’ll pick the part up Monday and get it done. I’ll let you all know how it works out. Thanks again...you guys are a great help!
Hopefully that will fix your issue. No guarantee though as there's always other possible causes. Pull the wire connector and see if oil is leaking through. If it is there's a real good chance the sensor triggered the code you have.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
You have a link to the one your purchased? Most of the Haynes one don't include the EcoDiesel from what I've noticed.
The auction ended! just watch ebay and look for the disk, dont take the download, it is not a good file.

Moose1269

Mar 16, 2019
Truck Year
Sounds good. Just as an update, I cleared the code took it for a drive and the coolant and oil temp was almost neck and neck up to 92 C. Then all of a sudden the oil temp went down rapidly then sky rocketed to off the charts. So the temp sensor is definitely shot. I’ll get into it tomorrow when the auto parts stores are open!

Moose1269

Mar 16, 2019
Truck Year
Ok, it was cheaper to get the oil temp sensor through the dealer at 68.00 Canadian. The part is difficult to get via aftermarket parts and was 88.00 in cost.

So I watched my gauges and learned the following.

Upon start. Oil temp would read <50 C and oil pressure would be elevated until oil temp climbs above 50 C.

With oil temp sensor not operating correctly you will see elevated oil pressure

Cruise at 105km/h oil temp sensor (not working) <50C oil pressure 436kpa @ 1750 rpm (oil temp is actually above 90C when I took the readings)

Replaced sensor. New sensor cold with ohm meter 2.6kohm

Cruise at 105km/h oil temp sensor 93C oil pressure 244kpa @ 1750rpm

Attached photo is of the part# and my defective Oil temp sensor. No visible oil leaks. Internal RTD must can come undone resulting in a direct short or open circuit once it heats up. I did measure the resistance of the defective oil temp sensor after removal and it was at 863 ohms and slowly climbing as it cooled at air temp. After an hour it was at 2.4Kohms. Looks like it’s actually responding but obviously shorting or going to a open circuit once hot and expanding.

All is good now with the new sensor.

Thanks again for your help,

Attachments

• 45227985-2F1F-41B0-9356-52F764B4F9B4.jpeg
    45227985-2F1F-41B0-9356-52F764B4F9B4.jpeg
    303.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 2E406A0D-9ECA-42F7-88D1-9F761405C5A1.jpeg
    2E406A0D-9ECA-42F7-88D1-9F761405C5A1.jpeg
    252.4 KB · Views: 37

John

Nov 13, 2015
Ok, it was cheaper to get the oil temp sensor through the dealer at 68.00 Canadian. The part is difficult to get via aftermarket parts and was 88.00 in cost.

So I watched my gauges and learned the following.

Upon start. Oil temp would read <50 C and oil pressure would be elevated until oil temp climbs above 50 C.

With oil temp sensor not operating correctly you will see elevated oil pressure

Cruise at 105km/h oil temp sensor (not working) <50C oil pressure 436kpa @ 1750 rpm (oil temp is actually above 90C when I took the readings)

Replaced sensor. New sensor cold with ohm meter 2.6kohm

Cruise at 105km/h oil temp sensor 93C oil pressure 244kpa @ 1750rpm

Attached photo is of the part# and my defective Oil temp sensor. No visible oil leaks. Internal RTD must can come undone resulting in a direct short or open circuit once it heats up. I did measure the resistance of the defective oil temp sensor after removal and it was at 863 ohms and slowly climbing as it cooled at air temp. After an hour it was at 2.4Kohms. Looks like it’s actually responding but obviously shorting or going to a open circuit once hot and expanding.

All is good now with the new sensor.

Thanks again for your help,
Great news good job.

s.desj

Feb 19, 2020
Truck Year
hi everyone. changed my sensor and tried to reset with bluedriver reader. not working. report says: will clear by itself does anyone know how long for the truck to reset. been two days and 200km thank you

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
hi everyone. changed my sensor and tried to reset with bluedriver reader. not working. report says: will clear by itself does anyone know how long for the truck to reset. been two days and 200km thank you
Most times its tied to cold and hot cycles not run time so maybe on your 3rd day. So what did bluedriver do if it wouldn't reset?

s.desj

Feb 19, 2020
Truck Year
it just said that it cannot erase code. the truck will do it itself..it did reset but 2 codes appeared. same code! don't know why..changed the sensor. got this new thing....p20bd heater b. looked it up and p20bd relate to the def system. it was minus a million degres in montréal the past few days. sunny and warm tomorrow(- 2 c). i will try to reset and see what happens

RamItEco

Dec 29, 2016
Truck Year
Was it difficult to change this yourself? My truck is also pulling that code. Gauge works fine and on the dash temps are fine. I’m thinking it’s a faulty sensor.