• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Intro

Kyle_e33

May 9, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
2018 Ram 1500 EcoD w/5,500 miles.

No mods yet, but thinking S&B CAI and GDE tune...if I can talk myself into it (warranty vs engine longevity concerns).

S&B CAI because it doesn’t mess with warranty.

GDE tune because of the good things I’ve read about, also read good about PPEI and a little about SFT. Considering a transmission tune combo.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Welcome here!

I would limit it down to GDE and Sofa King. The Sofa King has more grunt at throttle tip in but the GDE has more power in the higher revs. Both have good reviews. I keep my factory ECM so I can swap out for dealership visits. FCA should be happy I used the GDE tune - they never did one warranty repair on my truck. '18 is a nice truck. I got the '15 HFE (vinyl, no options). I think the engine is stronger in the '18 so where I am hesitant to use the Sofa King in my truck I would not hesitate with yours.

I wouldn't worry about the warranty. Just swap ECM's if you need a dealer repair and drive the truck for 5 miles or so to sync it all up.

Kyle_e33

May 9, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
SFT seems to be for people interested in performance (HP/Torque) gains?

Have you heard bad stuff about PPEI?

Did you purchase one of GDEs ECM or did you purchase somewhere and send blank to GDE? I tried to look for them online with limited success.

Also, what options did you go with on your GDE tune?I mainly want to turn the EGR off and get the engine running better (hold gear longer, with less constant downshifting), which will hopefully get better mpg as well.
- I’m trying to understand what “off-road” option gives you that standard doesn’t. From what I read, it’s for if you want to do a full emissions delete (EGR/DPF/SCR), which isn’t where I am now.
- Not heavy towing a lot, so not looking for the engine brake.
- Probably going to opt for the Regen.
- The oil PX, I haven’t read a whole lot about it good or bad?
- I will probably get the high idle option, I read it’s good for cold start warming up.

Do you have a GDE transmission tune as well? Heard anything about their effectiveness?

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
people on this forum have all variants but i have the GDE tune with the keep your ECM option so I can do a swap, when needed. I got no options with mine. It improved my mileage about 3 mpg and gave me a lot less turbo lag. I recently drove a F-150 with the twin turbo 3.5 and was thinking it had so much turbo lag. One thing I really like is the cruise control. Before, the speed was set in a general way and bumping up or down the speed was hit or miss. The GDE tune gives each bump a 1 mph increment. I drive a good bit on the highway so keeping it right at 78 so I don't get a ticket is important. Burns less DEF too. I think its a good choice.

Kyle_e33

May 9, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
people on this forum have all variants but i have the GDE tune with the keep your ECM option so I can do a swap, when needed. I got no options with mine. It improved my mileage about 3 mpg and gave me a lot less turbo lag. I recently drove a F-150 with the twin turbo 3.5 and was thinking it had so much turbo lag. One thing I really like is the cruise control. Before, the speed was set in a general way and bumping up or down the speed was hit or miss. The GDE tune gives each bump a 1 mph increment. I drive a good bit on the highway so keeping it right at 78 so I don't get a ticket is important. Burns less DEF too. I think its a good choice.
Thanks for the info. I’ve definitely noticed the turbo lag when pulling my first big load last weekend (big RV/camper). I really noticed the gearshift dance that I’m hoping the tune will calm down (both in hwy cruising and towing).

So when you did the keep your own option, did you send them a blank ECM or just purchase one from them? Looks like a $500 option? If I can find a new one for purchase for cheaper, and then just pay the $150 flash charge or maybe I can get a dealer/service to flash it for me. I’ve read some guys who have luck with that?

Have you pulled your EGR tube to see how your outlet compares to the others I’ve seen (completely caked with carbon)?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Save your $$$ on the intake ,buy a good drop in. If the Factory intake was NOT sufficient you would find the filter in the compressor wheel.

If your going for the look its your $$$

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
When I first got my truck I ordered my ECM from them. Then I just put the factory one in a box on the shelf.

Don't be afraid of Sofa King, people like them. I have heard lots of problems with PPEI. I would avoid them for now. The biggest problem being customer service or lack of it.

TC Diesel is right on the CAI. They do nothing. The engine is getting plenty of air and the turbo has a decent intercooler on it. If you want to do anything, remove the foam at the top of the engine and engine cover and all the grill shutter blades except the top and bottom.

Kyle_e33

May 9, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Just cancelled my CAI order from Sinister...so now to get serious on the Tune!

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
I don't tow anything other than a utility trailer, and that only a few times a year with some straw in it. For that reason I did not do the trans tune. Sofa King does a two-fer engine and trans tune at a low price.

Kyle_e33

May 9, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
I don't tow anything other than a utility trailer, and that only a few times a year with some straw in it. For that reason I did not do the trans tune. Sofa King does a two-fer engine and trans tune at a low price.
Yeah I don’t plan to tow a lot either right now, but didn’t know if the transmission tune would help with the truck downshifting with a stiff breeze while cruising 60mph. It’s a smooth shift, but just seems unnecessary to me. Also the SFT combo package I saw claims to add even more mpg with transmission tune and to address some of these issues.

Also, who knows why toys I could find to hook up behind it! Then I might wish I had it then.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Yeah I don’t plan to tow a lot either right now, but didn’t know if the transmission tune would help with the truck downshifting with a stiff breeze while cruising 60mph. It’s a smooth shift, but just seems unnecessary to me. Also the SFT combo package I saw claims to add even more mpg with transmission tune and to address some of these issues.

Also, who knows why toys I could find to hook up behind it! Then I might wish I had it then.
If i was just starting out all over again with my truck I would have gotten the SFT combo.