• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ironic new ram story +Need advice/tuning

Mattyindo

Feb 7, 2020
Truck Year
Hello everyone, Matt here a fist time Ram owner and Fist Ecodiesel or diesel in general, I am a diesel mechanic and have fallen in love with this engine for its uniqueness and the interesting story of how it landed in a Ram truck. I originally was an anti Chrysler person for many years but got stuck with a ram 1500 as a runabout at the nursery I was a mechanic at, I no longer feel I got stuck with it but was blessed with that truck... it was a 2016 1500 8' box with no options...not even a hitch receiver but it had the Hemi, the white rocket she was dubbed and for good reason...after that I swore my next truck would be a ram.

This brings me to my Eco, after seeing the mileage of the Hemi first hand driving one at work (on the company dime) compared to fill up cost I started looking into the diesel in 2018. The idea of the Ecodiesel was ideal for me giving how much I tow and how far I commute BUT the recall horror show turned me off almost completely, I thought if I can find one pre recall I would settle and after a long and arduous search I managed to find one in Quebec. It was Pre V16 recall, 110000k with no issues and was always serviced by Chrysler...(2015 Ecodiesel 1500 crew cab 4x4 flame red SLT, towing pack, bucket seats.. The truck looked brand new and I payed more than I should have but it has a 1 inch leveling kit and an Air Lift 1000 with compressor.

Irony part: I bought the truck and was rear ended 2 months to the day (have pictures). dented the bumper of my truck and completely wrote off the kia that hit me (looked like he hit a brick wall), I drove away with little damage and nothing really broken other than the bumper and my language. So after 2 and a half months I brought my truck in to the body shop who did an amazing job (autobahn carstar). I made them put in writing that the truck is not to have any recalls done and Chrysler is not to plug anything into MY OBD port without consulting me. I get the truck back and Immediately notice a difference in the engine...they brought it to Chrysler for an axle inspection and they DID THE RECALL!

So after getting documentation from Chrysler of the recall done and a copy of there notes that no recalls were to be done I walked into Carstar collision with laser beams coming out of my eyes...They are very good ...and I recommend them still because despite all of this there going to "try" to fix this on there dime ...and by that I mean they cant fix it because the recall cant be undone (as far as I know) so anything other than replacing the truck is only a compromise and not a fix, (I doubt I can get them to replace the truck) so its more or less how Im willing to compromise with them...this gives me options...

QUESTION: What are my solutions? I have looked into GDE but "sold out" ...I'm not keen on a full delete. Banks derringer with the monitor looks like an option ...but I would rather have a tune, not big power gains if any but my old truck back, preferably something that would accommodate an EGR delete...I am not entertaining deleting my DPF at all. can a banks derringer be combined with an EGR delete kit without a tune? I do like the banks.

Thank you for listening guys

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
"I made them put in writing that the truck is not to have any recalls done and Chrysler is not to plug anything into MY OBD port without consulting me. I get the truck back and Immediately notice a difference in the engine...they brought it to Chrysler for an axle inspection and they DID THE RECALL!"

hard to imagine the dealer brought the necessary equipment to do a clandestine recall at an auto body shop.

Mattyindo

Feb 7, 2020
Truck Year
"I made them put in writing that the truck is not to have any recalls done and Chrysler is not to plug anything into MY OBD port without consulting me. I get the truck back and Immediately notice a difference in the engine...they brought it to Chrysler for an axle inspection and they DID THE RECALL!"

hard to imagine the dealer brought the necessary equipment to do a clandestine recall at an auto body shop.

The autobody shop brought the truck to the dealer...I havent seen or heard of Chrysler techs taking house calls to body shops before.

Mattyindo

Feb 7, 2020
Truck Year
Have I gotten off to a bad start or something? Sorry if I'm being to cryptic. The bodyshop (carstar) brought my vehicle to a dealer, and the dealer performed the recall/inspection at the dealership, without my knowledge or Carstar's knowledge...carstar is stuck fixing it because they have record of me telling them not to have this recall done.

I have actually sent an email to GDE and they said they can still offer there tune to Canadian customers with proof of registration...I think I may go GDE and block off the EGR...Still thinking of a Banks now that I've been looking into it (really cool device and stationary regens). Would like to hear from anyone who has a Banks derringer with a GDE tune.

Kindest regards

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
Not familiar with Canadian? recall. The AEM? If so and pretty much regardless I think you are on the right track with tune and EGR cooler delete. I have both GDE tunes and EGR delete. No first hand experience with the Banks derringer. From what I have read on the other forum it seems to be far short of a proper tune.

Mattyindo

Feb 7, 2020
Truck Year
Not familiar with Canadian? recall. The AEM? If so and pretty much regardless I think you are on the right track with tune and EGR cooler delete. I have both GDE tunes and EGR delete. No first hand experience with the Banks derringer. From what I have read on the other forum it seems to be far short of a proper tune.

Yes it is the Canadian AEM recall, as far as I know it is the same as the US recall on the EcoDiesel. Thanks for your input Verndiesel much appreciated! correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the only difference between the US and Canadian recall where the conditions regarding the settlement... If there was a physical difference between the two different recalls it would be really interesting to know the differences and why.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
got it, sorry i didn't catch the "brought it to Chrysler" part of your post. since you are in Canada getting the HD diesel tune shouldn't be to difficult.It seems many people on the forum are very happy with it. I too have the GDE tune and the Sofa King trans tune and my truck is totally different. I have not done the full delete yet but it may be in my future. I am going to wait for a couple more Oil analysis results before I make a decision.
Plus there may be another EGR recall here in the states when a fix is available for potential faulty EGR's

Mattyindo

Feb 7, 2020
Truck Year
I too have the GDE tune and the Sofa King trans tune and my truck is totally different

No worries friend, I haven't heard of SofaKing...cleaver name though. I'm going to have to see what they have on offer. What pro's/con's have you seen with your trans tune? ...something I never even thought of, I know GDE offers one but haven't looked into it.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
The transmission is a little more active with the SFT trans tune. I would say their web description is pretty accurate. The thing that stands out is the downshifts are a little more pronounced when slowing down. MPG's are a up a couple from stock. Averaging around 23 overall instead of 21 "roughly". I have never felt the need to hand calculate it as I am happy with the results.
The GDE tune by itself significantly adds drivability to the truck. With the trans tune it is marvelous. I have not seen any cons yet but I am not an aggressive driver by any means.
SFT

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
Matty I don’t know if any difference in US & Canadian AEM.

1shadow Full delete not worth it unless you have a problem. Since you already have a tune EGR cooler delete removes the other problem child of these motors.

I suspect Low coolant from my EGR cooler leak led to my first motor pushing a head gasket. Albeit At 371k miles but still avoidable. My 2nd motor has 272k and is now out of warranty. No leak yet but I’m not chancing it or waiting on a stupid “free” EGR cooler I’m fixing it permanently with the delete.

BTW I have both engine & trans tunes from GDE and yes they are marvelous.

Theo Breimer

Mar 11, 2019
Truck Year
Matty I don’t know if any difference in US & Canadian AEM.

1shadow Full delete not worth it unless you have a problem. Since you already have a tune EGR cooler delete removes the other problem child of these motors.

I suspect Low coolant from my EGR cooler leak led to my first motor pushing a head gasket. Albeit At 371k miles but still avoidable. My 2nd motor has 272k and is now out of warranty. No leak yet but I’m not chancing it or waiting on a stupid “free” EGR cooler I’m fixing it permanently with the delete.

BTW I have both engine & trans tunes from GDE and yes they are marvelous.
I have the GDE tune as well and I'm very happy with it. I started with the engine tune because I was concerned about all that soot getting into my engine and 15K later I had a look and the EGR tube is clean and so is the engine oil. More recently I got the Transmission tune and haven't driven it too much yet but I like the way it keeps the revs lower and in keeping with where the torque is. This truck won't win any races but it's no slouch either and I really enjoy the way it responds. And the fuel mileage is amazing. Not sure why you need the full EGR delete though because the tune effectively deletes it.

Overland406

May 3, 2020
Truck Year
Does anyone here have the Banks Derringer or know others that have had it? I like the GDE, which seems like the fan fav and they are selling in the US again the middle of June. I like the idea of the piggyback over the tune for different reasons. Looking for a Derringer review.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
You don't want to piggyback over a custom ECM tune. That's the old school way of doing things back when tuners didn't have the know how or access to the correct tables to create a good tune.

Last edited:

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
I think there are 3 or 4 companies making tunes for the ECO, I like thought of SFT's tuning through the OBD port, I don't know if the others have got that yet or not.

Overland406

May 3, 2020
Truck Year
@BoostN I am not looking to piggyback. Just looking for a good tune and either a GDE reflash OR the Derringer. I like the simplicity of the Derringer along with the 1.8 DataMonster gauge and dyno results seem to have it live up to the 40HP, 60 ft-lbs.

New to the eco world and just trying to find a good overall tune for added performance, mpg, and longevity. Not sure if the GDE really would perform that much better and they had to detune it and take the EGR bypass off to meet the new EPA regulations.

Any help is appreciated!