• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Is my tranny temp to high?

Ramconvert

May 25, 2015
Truck Year
So I watched the video about regen. One thing I noticed is that his transmission temp is right around 200 even pulling a trailer. My tranny temp goes to 225 unloaded. It has always been at 225 from day one. Even pulling my boat.

What are you guys seeing for temps? Both loaded and unloaded. Do you think this a little to warm for an unloaded truck?

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I believe he also has done some work to the trans cooler so you can't compare your stock truck to his. But 225d does seem high. Mine hasn't hit 200d yet, albeit in its short 1200mile life.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
yes there is a small batch of us special guys that have the high temp problem, I had to bypass the factory heater unit on the side of the transmission, all I did was install a straight fitting in it.
This year I am so much more happy with my temps I could scream!!
last year this was my temps all summer long.
engine 220-250f
trans 208-240f
oil 240-260f

this year all I did different was bypass the stupid heater unit,
engine 205-230 max normal 220f
trans 185-208 max, normal 195f
oil 208-230f max.
installing the trans cooler alone did nothing for the temps because the cold fluid coming back into the transmission just goes through the heater and gets re- superheated.
if you guys lived here I would show anyone,
I do have a duramax 3/4 inch trans cooler installed and it works awesome now, you can actually feel all the lines going into each other and feel the difference.

Ramconvert

May 25, 2015
Truck Year
yes there is a small batch of us special guys that have the high temp problem, I had to bypass the factory heater unit on the side of the transmission, all I did was install a straight fitting in it.
This year I am so much more happy with my temps I could scream!!
last year this was my temps all summer long.
engine 220-250f
trans 208-240f
oil 240-260f

this year all I did different was bypass the stupid heater unit,
engine 205-230 max normal 220f
trans 185-208 max, normal 195f
oil 208-230f max.
installing the trans cooler alone did nothing for the temps because the cold fluid coming back into the transmission just goes through the heater and gets re- superheated.
if you guys lived here I would show anyone,
I do have a duramax 3/4 inch trans cooler installed and it works awesome now, you can actually feel all the lines going into each other and feel the difference.

Thanks for the reply! This truck is only two months old with about 3200 miles so, that last thing I want to do is void my warranty by adding anything.

Is 225 a "normal" operating temp for this transmission or is this something I should have my dealer look at?

It always seemed a bit hot to me but because it's always been that way I've assumed it was normal.?.

Ramconvert

May 25, 2015
Truck Year
I also think it may be a faulty sensor. My oil temp hovers a little under 200 and my water temp usually right at 200. Could it be the trams temp sensor is reading a little hotter then it actually is?

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Yes it could be a sensor, ive watched a couple others with the same issue, and his dealer after 6 months of back and forth with FCA did the same thing I just did and it worked for him too, but from an email from ZF in Germany, the transmission is supposed to run at a nominal 195f, at 140f permanent damage will occur to the electronics in the transmission.
That letter was posted from a member on ram1500diesel.com, you mabe able to find that post there and take that to your service advisor for a little reassurance, that way you wont look like the average joe looking for something.

Ramconvert

May 25, 2015
Truck Year
Yes it could be a sensor, ive watched a couple others with the same issue, and his dealer after 6 months of back and forth with FCA did the same thing I just did and it worked for him too, but from an email from ZF in Germany, the transmission is supposed to run at a nominal 195f, at 140f permanent damage will occur to the electronics in the transmission.
That letter was posted from a member on ram1500diesel.com, you mabe able to find that post there and take that to your service advisor for a little reassurance, that way you wont look like the average joe looking for something.

Good advice! I'm going to do that. Thank you!

I don't think 225 is damaging anything. At least not in the time I've had it. But I could be wrong. I'm far from an expert.