• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Just a thought....

Sledneck52

Jan 14, 2020
Truck Year
My 2016 takes forever to reach operating temperature. 190 or higher. It was 31 degrees outside. I let it idle for 5 minutes or so before leaving. It didn’t even register past 100 degrees. I drove it for almost 25 minutes and it never past 174 degrees. Stop an go, driving through our town. I took control of the trans and shifted myself trying to keep the rpm’s up.
Didn’t make a difference.
I don’t have the cold weather kit but it shouldn’t matter at 31 degrees.
This would almost certainly cause DPF clogging problems if you can’t get the engine and exhaust to operating temperature.
I wonder why these motors take so long to reach operating temperature? 🤔

Bookmaker

Nov 23, 2019
Truck Year
Because diesels are very efficient. More energy from fuel converted to work. Less converted to heat.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
My 2016 takes forever to reach operating temperature. 190 or higher. It was 31 degrees outside. I let it idle for 5 minutes or so before leaving. It didn’t even register past 100 degrees. I drove it for almost 25 minutes and it never past 174 degrees. Stop an go, driving through our town. I took control of the trans and shifted myself trying to keep the rpm’s up.
Didn’t make a difference.
I don’t have the cold weather kit but it shouldn’t matter at 31 degrees.
This would almost certainly cause DPF clogging problems if you can’t get the engine and exhaust to operating temperature.
I wonder why these motors take so long to reach operating temperature? 🤔
My 2014 always is slow to warm up. I have the radiator louvers, but I have modified to allow for external oil cooler fan. I will plug in block heater anything below the low 30's. Mine tends to get to about 147 and hovers until highway speed then warms up to 201. I have replaced my thermostat and a GDE tune. With the single core radiator I had thought it would warm faster but no. It is a good thing most of my driving is highway speed and the GDE tune greatly reduces the soot production.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Technically you should be running the assless chaps leather grill cover that FCA reccomends for anything under 50F but mine did fine today at 20F around 50mph

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
Technically you should be running the assless chaps leather grill cover that FCA reccomends for anything under 50F but mine did fine today at 20F around 50mph
Was that towing anything?
This is just my 2nd winter with the eco and I just bought a cover for it 2wk ago and put it on. Wow, what a difference! Not sure how to know when to take it off when it turns mild though.....

Will_CathVT

Jul 9, 2019
Truck Year
I'll start with, I live in VT. I always put my grill cover on when it's going to be under 32 degrees, I close the flap(s) as it gets colder. I plug in the block warmer when it's going to be under 10 degrees. I have the block warmer on a timer that is set to turn on two hours before I drive the truck. I drive secondary roads and average 50-55 mph, it takes approximately 20-25 minutes to warm up no matter the exterior temperature. I keep my engine and transmission information on my DIC. I haven't had an exhaust plug since two days after I bought it...been fine since the 2 exhaust sensors were replaced and the EGR cooler a couple of months after that. I don't use the truck for a lot of short trips, I use the wife's SUV.

bill-e

May 2, 2015
Truck Year
My Gen 3 seems to warm up a lot faster than my Gen 2 and operating temps are higher as well.

Normally I'd have the Gen 2 cover on by now because it was such a PITA to get those bulbous tabs under the grill but my 2020 cover doesnt have them so I'll wait until it's going to not get above the 20's before I put it on.