• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

just wondering how often the fuel filter needs changed?

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
It's designed to only drain the water and fuel that collects inside the filter. If you want to drain the whole filter housing you have to loosen the filter housing and break the seal. That's just how it is.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
It's not that it's breaking the seal but even water as well, the canister is just vapor locked because there's no top vent. That doesn't mean only the water comes out leaving it full of diesel. It just takes playing with the factory drain or Geno's garage has a brass replacement plug that comes completely out and lessens the vapor lock and difficulty draining.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
Your not understanding what I said john that drain well only drain the inside of the filter aka where the water seperator is built into. Yes once the water is gone diesel well then follow. But even then there well still be some diesel between the outside of the filter and the canister. If there's not them your filter doesn't need changed yet.

Dec 14, 2015
Truck Year
My dealer sells a lot of trucks and when I took mine in for the first oil change at 7,500 miles the service manager advised me to change the fuel filter twice as often as the manual calls for. When I went in for the 15K oil change he told me they were still finding traces of asphalt in the filters changed more often and recommended replacing the fuel filter at 10K miles. I followed his suggestion and replaced the filter at 10K. Earlier this year I noticed my in tank pump was louder than usual, I replaced the filter at that point with less than 10K on it. The pump sound was normal again so I cut the ends off that filter and found lot's of crud. My truck has only been fueled at dealer pumps its whole life but I now replace the fuel filter at every oil change and cut it open. Its amazing how much junk is in the fuel here in the U.S.A. Yesterday I had my oil changed at the dealer and told the service guy what I have been doing and that to date I have never had any issues with my ecodiesel. He said keep it up because there has been at lot of ecos in with fuel system issues. The engines in these trucks were developed in Europe where the fuel is much better quality.I purchase fuel filters in quant's of 3 and get them at a reasonable price and have been changing them my self for 2 years now.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
yea the dealers around here get close to 200.00 to change a 25.00 filter

Dec 14, 2015
Truck Year
My dealer is in a small town but sells a lot of cars and trucks. Check the mopar owners website, there is a page that you can enter a zip code and see if the dealer offers any promotions or coupons. My dealer has a coupon on his link that offers an ecodiesel engine oil and filter change for $120. I have not found a lower price in western Pa. At that price I have them do changes when the weather isn't good.

Dec 14, 2015
Truck Year
Changing the fuel filter can be a little messy as its above the drive shaft under the bed. It would be costly to have the filter only replaced by a dealer.