• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Leak loosing coolant post EGR replacement

Ams5734

Sep 19, 2020
Truck Year
We have a 2017 Ecodiesel. We had the EGR recall "fix" replacement installed last year. Coolant levels still dropping. Dealership then replaced cap and tank as a "courtesy." Coolant still dropping with no visible leaking after towing camper a few thousand miles. Anyone else experiencing this?

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
How many miles on the motor? Waterpump weaping out the weap hole? Pressure test it? Is the back of your exhaust tips black and sootie?

Ams5734

Sep 19, 2020
Truck Year
Just turned 50k. No to weeping water pump. No excessive soot, just normal blackish on tips. Have a call into Chrysler again, dealer at a loss, grasping at straws. Need to pressure test again

Ams5734

Sep 19, 2020
Truck Year
We did a little more research on another forum and apparently the continuation of disappearing coolant is not unusual.

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
Ask your dealer was the EGR cooler replacement the new updated permanent fix EGR cooler replacement. Or prior to this where all they could do was put in another one that would eventually fail. Post a close up pic of the exhaust tip. Does the exhaust have a faint white smoke to it even after the truck is fully warmed up?

True. Having had experience with this I am trying to help you. That place has lots of experienced guys and is generally very positive and helpful if it's the place I am thinking of.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
We did a little more research on another forum and apparently the continuation of disappearing coolant is not unusual.

Thanks for posting back some findings @Ams5734 .. it'll help someone searching likely on THIS forum. :cool:

Ironcity

Dec 16, 2020
Truck Year
I had a coolant reservoir that would constantly lose coolant. The coolant in the radiator would remain full, but the coolant in the reservoir would fall well below the full line. The dealer took a look. Passed the pressure test. It did it again. They said that there is a nipple on the back of the reservoir and they adjusted it and it stopped leaking. They told me that they hano idea what it’s purpose is, but that they have seen this happen before. It could be this issue and happen to have coincided with the new egr cooler.

Ams5734

Sep 19, 2020
Truck Year
Thanks, it's going back to the dealer yet again. I'll have them check that.
In regards to earlier replies, pics of tips attached too. Not sooty and no white puff

Attachments

• 20210427_121314.jpg
    20210427_121314.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210427_121305.jpg
    20210427_121305.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 5