• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Looking at buying a 2014 Ram ecodiesel crewcab for work

Dewetering

Jan 22, 2021
Truck Year
Hey, I'm new to this site but am desperate for opinions and comments. I'm looking at buying a 2014 Dodge Ram ecodiesel crewcab with a new motor from a dealership and I will be driving 5 days a week roughly 200-300km a day. found the ecodiesel and have heard mixed opinions. I've done my research and want some input if this is a good truck for me. wont be towing anything or very often atleast but will see lots of km. I've heard of the ecodiesels blowing up and naturally I looked into ways to prevent it. i saw that straight piping and disabling the EGR is an amazing place to start (where I live there is only one emissions test and it's when you first certify the truck). I've been back an forth hundreds of times and I am finally looking to get some reviews and complaints about the truck.

Dougeco

Nov 7, 2020
Truck Year
Not Listed
OK, but need more information.
Are you doing mostly highway driving? An ecoDiesel is made for highway driving, and it likes lots of towing of moderately heavy trailers. Not so happy with city driving and idling. Are you doing city or highway miles? Are you towing?
How many miles/ kilos are on the new motor? How much on the rest of the truck? Transmission?
Why the new motor? What does "new motor" mean? Is it really new or rebuilt engine? Crate new from FCA? If rebuilt who did it? A reputable outfit? How much was replaced/rebuilt?
Has it been in any accidents? There may be none on the record, but have it inspected to see if there is any frame or body damage that's been poorly repaired/hidden.
No idea where you are located, or the truck. Is there rust? Again, have it inspected by someone who is familiar with how cars rust in your area. Does it have a good documented history of proper maintenance? If there are lots of miles you want to know that the radiator, transmission, transfer case and diffs have had their fluids changed properly.
Also, whose selling it? Is there a warranty going with the truck? 2014, probably not, but someone could have slapped an aftermarket service plan on it. You might be able to get one if its a low mileage dealer truck. Ask.

This could be a lemon or honey. No way to tell yet.

Dewetering

Jan 22, 2021
Truck Year
OK, but need more information.
Are you doing mostly highway driving? An ecoDiesel is made for highway driving, and it likes lots of towing of moderately heavy trailers. Not so happy with city driving and idling. Are you doing city or highway miles? Are you towing?
How many miles/ kilos are on the new motor? How much on the rest of the truck? Transmission?
Why the new motor? What does "new motor" mean? Is it really new or rebuilt engine? Crate new from FCA? If rebuilt who did it? A reputable outfit? How much was replaced/rebuilt?
Has it been in any accidents? There may be none on the record, but have it inspected to see if there is any frame or body damage that's been poorly repaired/hidden.
No idea where you are located, or the truck. Is there rust? Again, have it inspected by someone who is familiar with how cars rust in your area. Does it have a good documented history of proper maintenance? If there are lots of miles you want to know that the radiator, transmission, transfer case and diffs have had their fluids changed properly.
Also, whose selling it? Is there a warranty going with the truck? 2014, probably not, but someone could have slapped an aftermarket service plan on it. You might be able to get one if its a low mileage dealer truck. Ask.

This could be a lemon or honey. No way to tell yet.

thank you for the reply first of all. its is an all new motor from dodge dealership. 120000km on body with no rust and no salt driven. Got new motor cause last motor was ceased. I will be doing mainly small highways (60-100km/h). it will be seeing about 8 hours of use and lots of km with a construction cap loaded with tools and materials. the truck won't see alot of towing but alot of use. the truck is clean of any accidents never even a fender bender. it's located in quebec so never seen salt roads(rather then ontario where salt it used). thank you so much and really appreciate the help

Dougeco

Nov 7, 2020
Truck Year
Not Listed
thank you for the reply first of all. its is an all new motor from dodge dealership. 120000km on body with no rust and no salt driven. Got new motor cause last motor was ceased. I will be doing mainly small highways (60-100km/h). it will be seeing about 8 hours of use and lots of km with a construction cap loaded with tools and materials. the truck won't see alot of towing but alot of use. the truck is clean of any accidents never even a fender bender. it's located in quebec so never seen salt roads(rather then ontario where salt it used). thank you so much and really appreciate the help

Seriously? This is a NEW EcoDiesel 3.0? You are telling me they put a new FCA built EcoDiesel 3.0 in a truck this old? The dealer is telling you this? No way. If they did I'd want to know exactly why. And tell them to prove it. You want to see supplier order and work order documentation. If they can't produce the documentation, it's a third party rebuild (and not a FCA approved supplier) that the original owner regretted spending good money on. And if the dealer paid for it, you know he spent enough only so that he could recover in investment when he bought this dog.

Look, I don't know how good the price is, but unless it is so cheap that you could afford to put yet another motor in it (and/or the motor is warranted by FCA for yet another 100,000 MILES)...... Its a no.

Plus, it is a northern car. I've been to Quebec skiing. I've seen salt spread on the roads in the mountain areas. It's not as much as Ontario or NY...This might be a nice rust free car, but I'd still have it inspected for rust. And I always have my own mechanic look over any used car I buy.

Here is the bottom line for me: You say you don't need the power for towing. Then why buy a diesel? Is diesel that much cheaper? Is the mileage that much better than a regular 6 cylinder gas engine? Since you are not towing and are going to be doing a lot of driving for work, where speed performance is not as critical, I'd look for a solid low mile/kilometer 6 cylinder.

Dougeco

Nov 7, 2020
Truck Year
Not Listed
To Other Folks on the Forum,

Am I a crazy cynic? Would FCA really put a new Eco Diesel engine in a 2014 with 120,000 kilometers (75,000 miles)? Would you believe a dealer who told you this? Am I alone in this? Would you buy such a thing?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Dougeco, You are correct, Dewetering needs to Investigate....I have some sayings to add, If you smell a Skunk one generally around, The other when you are buying used generally you are buying some else Problems, So $Buy$ accordingly.

Unless you (Dewetering) are putting on serious K/Ms the 3.0 is not for you. I have 1 Years History on Miles 2019 Limited 5.7 with the same driving Habits 12 months Insurance, Maintenances the over-all operating cost, the 5.7 was $486.98 less/worst then any Year I owned the 3.0VM, It amazed me The the 5.7 Limited insurance is $18.00- $22.00 PM less then the 3.0VM 2015 Laramie.

OP you should Upgrade to less parts on the New Motor, if don't have any warranty, And Darn better put that 3.0 on lifetime OAs to establish trends if Hmmm you can dump it before it pukes.

Its this simple 3.0VMs are either Hero's or Zero's.