• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Losing fuel economy

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
if you continue to use additives you will increase your problems in the ED.

Call any refinery and ask for the chemist Dept, they will clearly indicate that additives can possibly cause separation of the additive already in the fuel when it left the refinery.

IMO, Yes, and it (SeaFoam) does NO good

I have to respectfully disagree with some of TC's statements.

1 - I have never heard of an ED problem resulting from using additives.
2 - The refinery chemist's statement "can possibly cause separation" is vague. Today's additives do not cause separation of the refinery's additives. Call any Additive company and they will positively (not possibly) verify.
3 - There are countless cases of SeaFoam correcting problems.

TC is correct in that generally speaking an additive is not needed. Most owners use them to try to correct a specific problem, for long term preventative maintenance, to improve MPG or just because it makes one feel better. Regards improving MPG, it is such a subjective subject, I don't suggest that is a valid claim.

I don't intend to start a debate, just offering another viewpoint. Cheers 😃

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
If the DEF is not working properly on any Bluetec engine it will impede operation of the vehicle , each manufacture decided the process.

As much as anyone would like to change the laws that govern mileage no tune will increase the MPG more than 1-3% , I can get better mileage by up grading My foot at NO cost.

I have kept track of my MPG since new and it varies form 23.5 to 30.2 MPG HWY the data is 35 months

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
What is a GDE tune?
What are EGR valves?
How does GDE effect EGR?

Sorry for all the questions.
EGR valves (exhaust gas re-circulation) takes exhaust and pumps it right back into your intake. It spews an oily tar all over your intake and helps deposit that same tar throughout your engine. It puts soot into your oil, reducing its ability to lubricate your engine. It is an engine killer, over time.

GDE tune positively changes some engine settings but most importantly your EGR. It keeps that soot and tar out of your engine. It makes your turbo work better and a bunch of other stuff. It is on their website. They have competitors. PPEI maybe?

greendieselengineering.com

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I just bought a 2018 Laramie. 1200 miles. Was wondering about the fact I was only getting 19-20 mpg. Even though the first 1000 miles was on the road in two days. Came out of Kellogg, ID. Yes it was cold. Hope this is the reason. Will comment in the Spring under warmer conditions.
purchased a 2018 in Kellogg also that is the mileage that I am getting have 2000 miles on the truck I think it is the new flash they put in the truck so they could sell them

Beeson

Feb 9, 2019
Truck Year
Green diesel Engineering. i am sure there are links on this site.
Exhaust Gas Recirculating valve - all fuel powered vehicles have them to re-route unfiltered exhaust back into the engine to create a sealed system.
GDE site will better explain, but it reduces the # of times that the system self cleans using the diesel exhaust additive, and i believe the # of times the EGR is open or totally eliminates the electronic signal to allow the exhaust EGR valve to open...
my past experience is that the older style EGR valves were just a one way tube with a ball or valve that let dirty, oily exhaust air back into the engine from the Head. I have rerouted the EGR on non smog regulated engines into the exhaust down-pipe past the flame line to make my engines stay cleaner.
I wonder why someone hasn't fabricated a EGR filter tank to catch the debris before returning to the block.

Beeson

Feb 9, 2019
Truck Year
purchased a 2018 in Kellogg also that is the mileage that I am getting have 2000 miles on the truck I think it is the new flash they put in the truck so they could sell them
I hope not! track your mileage, and if it isn't near window sticker in the spring start telling the dealer that they will be buying it back as a lemon!

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Green diesel Engineering. i am sure there are links on this site.
Exhaust Gas Recirculating valve - all fuel powered vehicles have them to re-route unfiltered exhaust back into the engine to create a sealed system.
GDE site will better explain, but it reduces the # of times that the system self cleans using the diesel exhaust additive, and i believe the # of times the EGR is open or totally eliminates the electronic signal to allow the exhaust EGR valve to open...
my past experience is that the older style EGR valves were just a one way tube with a ball or valve that let dirty, oily exhaust air back into the engine from the Head. I have rerouted the EGR on non smog regulated engines into the exhaust down-pipe past the flame line to make my engines stay cleaner.
I wonder why someone hasn't fabricated a EGR filter tank to catch the debris before returning to the block.
It would be easy enough

Godzuki

Mar 20, 2019
Truck Year
Does the GDE modification impact emissions? For example, has anyone had a problem with passing emissions after applying the mod? (For referenced, I live in NC).

Thanks for your insights.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I pass smog tests with GDE tune installed. And, here in Califunny we probably have the strictest smog test in the USA.
Have not heard of anyone failing a smog test with a GDE tune installed.

KnikAK

Mar 21, 2019
Truck Year
I bought a new Laramie CC 4x4 from Kellogg Idaho end of Feb, drove to Cali keeping up with traffic 65-80 mph and pulled down 20-22 mpg. City mileage is 16-17 mpg. With under 2K miles I expect to see small increase. Once I drive home to Alaska, going to sell it and keep driving my '03 3500 Cummins. Rather disappointed in my purchase.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Yep, and that's the New AEM FCA wants us 2014-16 Owners to buy into... wait until you check your Plenum and Intake at 30K miles:mad:

On the other side 80MPH is going to NET 20-22, that City Mileage is not bad either, its only .075-1.25 MPG less than My 2015.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
I bought a new Laramie CC 4x4 from Kellogg Idaho end of Feb, drove to Cali keeping up with traffic 65-80 mph and pulled down 20-22 mpg. City mileage is 16-17 mpg. With under 2K miles I expect to see small increase. Once I drive home to Alaska, going to sell it and keep driving my '03 3500 Cummins. Rather disappointed in my purchase.
Try the GDE tune, i think you will be happy. I will get my ECM flashed for the settlement, but I will have that in my truck for maybe 5 minutes till i can swap my GDE tuned ECM back in.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You are welcome to do as you like, But remember this the AEM/Settlement is a service contract (NOT extended Warranty) You would be violating that contract. FCA is ordered to monitor the AEM (If) you bring that vehicle in for repairs at most dealerships they (Service Dept) will be required to plug in the MIC II and send the results to FCA. Who knows what they will do after that is anyone's guess.

WITECH will read the mileage in the PCM/BCM that is stored , and compare it to the EVIC? it will clearly show the difference, and the PCM has internal clock that will be a red flag.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
You are welcome to do as you like, But remember this the AEM/Settlement is a service contract (NOT extended Warranty) You would be violating that contract. FCA is ordered to monitor the AEM (If) you bring that vehicle in for repairs at most dealerships they (Service Dept) will be required to plug in the MIC II and send the results to FCA. Who knows what they will do after that is anyone's guess.

WITECH will read the mileage in the PCM/BCM that is stored , and compare it to the EVIC? it will clearly show the difference, and the PCM has internal clock that will be a red flag.

I am hoping to get my check and never see them again. Other than my 4 free oil changes and a recall or two I have never used their service.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
what is oil pressure checking for the tune

Last edited: