• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Low oil pressure

Mayet1

Oct 26, 2021
Truck Year
Hi Folks
Recently my low oil pressure warning light came on so immediately suspected that the oil pressure switch was defective. I replaced it but still had the same issue so I bought a Bosch mechanical gage to verify that the oil pump was okay. I had 5+lbs at idle and almost 30lbs at 1800rpm, so the pump is ok. A friend of mine is well versed in diesel so we started checking out other potential issues. Inside the oil filter housing assembly is a plastic of some sort, check valve, a spring with a ball (which is a pressure regulator, we think) and a vent tube on the outside. Called the dealer and the plastic tube is a non-serviceable part so you have to buy the whole housing assembly. Suspect that the plastic may be distorted and that is causing the low oil pressure issue.
After a week of searching…all over Canada and USA, only ONE housing assembly was available to buy, that dealer was in Alaska. This component is on back order everywhere with no eta on a ship date, so if you need one of those, good luck finding one. Does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas of what else could be causing the low oil pressure issue knowing the oil pump is okay??
Todd

Mayet1

Oct 26, 2021
Truck Year
The gage on the dash display doesn’t actually read “ true oil pressure “ ,unless there is a kit installed to measure actual oil pressure. The dash display or factory display is an algorithm of many factor’s processed in the main computer system. That’s why I got a mechanical gage to screw into the oil pressure switch port to check actual/true oil pressure vs the misleading algorithm that’s displayed on the engine data. Maybe that’s why there could be so many engine failures because the factory data isn’t actually the real pressure , so it might be a good idea to install the kit, available from Green Diesel . It’s misleading Be careful….

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I understand. No matter what I would expect 20 at idle on your mechanical. 5 seems like a disaster waiting to happen

Mayet1

Oct 26, 2021
Truck Year
I’ll check into it and see what the dealership says……

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
LMBO at dealership comment, be prepared in advance, it's just fine no need to worry. Do OA to confirm the engine may have Puking in the near future. The picture below is My live gage cold at 1200RPMs. Mayet1 don't drive until you confirm what's up, or while you're at the Dealership trade it in.

1644588363349.jpeg

1644588402959.jpeg

Jan 16, 2022
Truck Year
The gage on the dash display doesn’t actually read “ true oil pressure “ ,unless there is a kit installed to measure actual oil pressure. The dash display or factory display is an algorithm of many factor’s processed in the main computer system. That’s why I got a mechanical gage to screw into the oil pressure switch port to check actual/true oil pressure vs the misleading algorithm that’s displayed on the engine data. Maybe that’s why there could be so many engine failures because the factory data isn’t actually the real pressure , so it might be a good idea to install the kit, available from Green Diesel . It’s misleading Be careful….
I'm curious to know what the dash read out was versus the mechanical gauge. How much variance is there?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Tha dash gage is LOM Lie-O-Meter and is program for false readings in all Ram VM3.0. its a switch as long as it reads above 8psi the PCM dictates the Readings according to RPM, Coolant Temp, Load, and APPS.

Jan 16, 2022
Truck Year
APPS?

Wouldn't it just be cheaper, easier, and more productive for Ram to just add an actual pressure gauge.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Accelerator Pedal Position sensor ..... No on the actual gage for 1500....its alarming that most 1500 DSL owners have no idea what oil Pressure actually means.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Because people would be claiming the engine bad because of low oil pressure....Jolene you not putting in the stupid factor that XX% of N/A citizens unfortunately practice.

robyd

Aug 30, 2021
Truck Year
I had the same issue on my 2020 Eco diesel. The problem was that I hadn’t lubed up the oil filter and it wasn’t fully seated. Reseated it and pressure goes from 20-70 psi

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The 3.0VM has One oil temp sensor Live , 2014-19 Only have Oil pressure switch..., The oil temp switch sensor all the readings in EVIC Oil pressure are L-O-M and are programed readings. Thats why its Lie-O-meter.

2020+
Alfa Romeo OE 68283346AD - Engine Oil Pressure Switch
https://www.carid.com/alfa-romeo-oe/engine-oil-pressure-switch-mpn-68283346ad.html

Ram calls it Oil Pressure Sending Unit - Mopar (68283346AD) Pressure And Temperature.

Its has a lot of names this does not look like oil pressure sensor to Me Ram 3.0 2020+ below

1644703588778.png

Generally, all Pressure sensors have pressure Port, the One above does not, that leave me with the 2020+ OEM senor is EVIC L-O-M
1644703814791.png

Mayet1

Oct 26, 2021
Truck Year
Great dialogue guys. I also saw on utube that the plastic assembly located inside the oil filter housing assembly can distort and cause issues as well. I did run the truck faster than normal ie: 85+ mph for 40 minutes as the exhaust filter was 90%full and needed a “reset” and that’s when the low oil pressure issue started. So the oil would have been very hot and I use T6 only since new. A friend, well versed in diesel, thinks that this plastic piece and /or the pressure regulator, all non serviceable parts built into the oil filter housing assembly, could cause this pressure issue. All that said, I did get the only one available in North America last week so I’m going to replace the whole assembly and hopefully this will resolve the problem
Can someone tell me what engine puking is ? I have never heard of this term before.
Once I get the oil filter housing assembly replaced, I’ll let you know if it resolved the issue

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Engine Puking is when the rotating assembly fails and pukes itself to death either by windowing the block or internally locking up. I develop the term Back in 2015 when 1000s of VM3.0 were failing yearly. I also forecasted it would continue for years, It also has reference to the few puke Moderators over at 1500diesel.XXX, they are 3.0 fanatics and have been trying to silence anyone who points VMs pathetic QC. Its a tie between WHO is the biggest pukes VM or a few Mods at 1500diesel.XXX.. DO not believe 1500deisel.XXX statistics 1000s of members have left that site, Even I am still considered in their ratings, I left and they just banned Me, its an honor to be banned from that pathetic forum:):):):)

Mayet1

Oct 26, 2021
Truck Year
Hi Guys

To follow up on my low oil pressure issue...here are the results so far. Removed and replaced the oil filter housing assembly because there are several comments about the spring on the internal assembly. Here is a snip on that issue
1646484520263.png

The dealer did this and I had a wet gage installed so I could read the "True" oil pressure not the lie-o-meter on the truck. This didnt resolve the low oil pressure. The dealer didnt know , at this point, what caused the issue or what to do to rectify it. I was told there was a knock in the engine and dont drive it. By the way.. I have 22PSI at idle when the oil is cold but at 145F at idle its 3PSI Im going to drain the oil and inspect the internal part of the engine to confirm its not the screen plugged up or other problems. There is 166,000 KM or 104.000 Miles so I called Chrysler USA and FCA Canada. USA told me to call Canada as the truck was bought in Canada. FCA Canada said, to bad , its out of warranty. No opportunity to speak to a supervisor or request a policy adjustment etc. The dealer in Florida told me if I bought that truck in USA its highly likely that Chrysler USA would do something to help me as I need a new engine. FCA Canada..Nope, go away. We dont have any recall on that engine( they call it a campaign in Canada) but a recall in the USA with extended warranty. Coupled with that is the engine in the USA( where I am now for the winter) is back ordered for 6-8 months. Stay tuned...
Stranded.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Matey1, NO the USA branch will not honor warranty on Canadian sold vehicles...WHY I know, I was called , The owner bought 2015 ED from FL Ram Dealer in 2021 the next day after the sale the engine puked, He returned to the Dealership with truck on flat bed, The Selling dealer even thou according to the buyer, would not honor any FCA warranty because the vehicle place of Ogrin was Canada... The buyer is not waiting on court date because the place of Ogrin was not disclosed to the buyer, and NOT honoring the used vehicle warranty when sold form the Ram Dealer. If you are the owner that called Me this is My understanding... is it correct?