• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lucas fuel treatment in a Ram Ecodiesel.

Mar 24, 2022
Truck Year
I use Lucas gas treatment in my 2012 Ram 1500 gas SLT. I just bought a 2016 Ram Laramie Ecodiesel. Is it okay to add Lucas to the diesel? I also use Lucas oil additive
Is that okay.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Mar 24, 2022
Truck Year
There is a difference between diesel and Ecodiesel. I thought it would be okay but, that os a very high cost engine. I thought I would ask before I did that.

Mar 24, 2022
Truck Year
Eco diesel has a system that adds uretha and water (DEF) to the fuel to make it burn the fuel more efficiently. It increases the mpg and performance of the engine.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Eco diesel has a system that adds uretha and water (DEF) to the fuel to make it burn the fuel more efficiently. It increases the mpg and performance of the engine.
You may want to do a little reading on modern diesels in general! Here is a little info on DEF to get you started. You definitely don't want to introduce Urea and water into you fuel system!
The eco diesel can be a little temperamental so knowledge is power when it comes to timely maintenance and troubleshooting!

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
The DEF is injected into the exhaust ahead of the SCR to help with exhaust emissions, it has nothing to do with economy or fuel, if it was added to the fuel you would likely end up with a VERY EXPENSIVE repair.
Modern diesel fuel lacks the sulpher that was used as a lubricant up until about 2008, I use hotshots EDT religously, I also use their diesel extreme every six months or so, theres a couple of others that I toss in occasionally use what they say on the label. I would suggest searching the diesel additives out, and pay attention to the lubricity numbers, hotshots and optilube are typically the highest rated in lab tests. The CP4 high pressure fuel pump is the weak link in the fuel system and the lubricant is to help protect it. Also keep your tank fairly full to avoid ever running too low, if it runs low enough to cavitate(suck air) it could damage the pump. the fuel also cools the in tank fuel pump.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022
Truck Year
Great post Caveman. So is Lucas gas additive ok? I will look for Hot Shots EDT and add that to my tank.
Thanks for your post.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
I honestly don't know, I've never used it, I managed the maintenance an Ambulance fleet of Ford/Navistar POWERSTROKES & GM DURAMAX rigs, I had trucks with over 700,000 miles when I retired in 2013. I wasn't allowed to use additives, but I was dealing with different high pressure pumps and fuel systems. I currently use 1 ounce of HOTSHOTS EDT, 1ounce of STA-BIL diesel fuel treatment every fill-up and 2 ounces of HOTSHOTS LX-4 every 2ND -4TH fill-up, the LX4 is included in the EDT but I spice it up a bit on those fill-ups indicated. The STA-BIL seems to help with fuel consumtion to some degree, I typically average 22-24mpg depending on how I drive it. I have gotten 29mpg a time or 2, the sweet spot seems to be around 64-67 mph, your rig may differ depending on what gears it has, mine has 3.92. If you live in an area that doesn't emissions test I would also recommend tuning it, either stage one or stage two, it will solve a few problems that come with the ECO in stock emissions form. Tunes that shut down the EGR are getting hard to come by and you may have to order it from Canada to do it. Geno's garage.com has a locking fuel cap available too. A word of caution on fuel filters, I very strongly advise you to use OEM MOPAR fuel filters, other brands have proven to cause problems, they swell up and come apart. The OEM seems to do better with fuel/water separating. I order oil filters from IDPARTS.COM, I use the UFI brand, they look identical to the MOPAR oil filter and they say it is the OEM filter, it just doesn't say MOPAR on it. The recommended oil(SHELL ROTELLA T6 5W40)is in very short supply, just about any full synthetic oil that meets the CK4 spec should be fine, my last 2 purchases wer VALVOLINE BLUE EXTREME FULL SYNTHETIC 5W40.

Mar 24, 2022
Truck Year
Thanks again. I really appreciate you taking time to respond. This is my first diesel and the Ecodiesel was new to me. I knew if you put the DEF in with the diesel by mistake that you couldn't run the truck without doing major damage to the engine. I buy the Lucas by the gallon and still had some left. I will get what you told me to get and keep you posted on how it works flo me.

Mar 24, 2022
Truck Year
i just bought a 2016 Larime Ecodiesel and I didn't want to damage the engine by adding Lucas oil and had additives. It says you can use it with diesel but,it doesn't say anything about Ecodiesel.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
The ecodiesel is a “term name” of diesel. Such as a cummins or powerstroke is a diesel. If it says use for diesel, then this would apply to you. Wether you choose to run it or not is your choice.

Mar 24, 2022
Truck Year
But the Ecodiesel had an additive (DEF) mixed with the diesel. I was hoping someone could tell me if that would create a problem.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
If you put def in your fuel tank your going to have a disaster on your hands. At no point does def fluid mix with the fuel. EVER. Def is used in the exhaust for emission related actions ONLY... DEF ONLY GOES IN THE DEF TANK THEN THE EXHAUST USES IT AS NEEDED. This is a standard diesel fuel fired engine. Emissions components have been added but it doesn’t change what the engine itself is.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
"Eco diesel has a system that adds uretha and water (DEF)" this part of your post is true, the rest is 100% false.

DEF is injected into the SCR for the sole purpose of reducing or eliminating NOx into the atmosphere. It has not other purpose and in no way makes fuel burn more efficiently, increases MPG or engine performance.

Here is one of my docs on the subject at hand, hoping it may help you

Attachments

• 01b-Active-Passive-SRC.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 7

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
But the Ecodiesel had an additive (DEF) mixed with the diesel. I was hoping someone could tell me if that would create a problem.
Ecodiesel never had an "additive (DEF) mixed with the diesel". Where did you hear or read that? Totally incorrect!

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
John, I think he just developed the "misconception" about it through reading & not knowing.