• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

MIL Came On Yesterday...I'm so frustrated!

Doc

Dec 4, 2020
Truck Year
Happy Holidays Everyone,
I am so frustrated with my 2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel due to the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) coming on every few thousand miles.

My day (December 26th) was going smoothly until I went to fill up at the BP gas station in which the MIL came on upon leaving. It's still on! However, I proceeded to run to Williamsburg, VA to briefly see my family (for the holidays) and to drop off Christmas presents. She drove very well. I actually averaged 25.4 MPG doing 79 - 82 MPH on I-95 and I-64. Thus, I have no complaints regarding the MPG and drivability but the MIL is very, very annoying!

I previously owned a 2006 Ford 150 Harley Davidson Edition and the "check engine" light came on twice in 14 years! She was a very good truck. Unfortunately, she rusted out. I hate rust!

Quick facts about my 2016 Ram 1500...She has 86000 miles (not all mine as I am not the original owner) and had a recent oil and filter change, fuel filter change, latest Ram updates...Essentially, she is well maintained and well kept. All my maintenance was and is done by Lindsey Dodge in Manassas, VA. Matter of fact, I scheduled an appointment with Lindsey Dodge to have the MIL diagnosed.

This is my first diesel engine and I am amazed how sensitive the engines are! Part of me want to trade it in for another truck due to the MIL; however, the other part of me has a bond with the truck. In my opinion, all trucks have there issues.

I welcome any thoughts you may have.

Any who, take care and enjoy your holidays!

D-

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I’d swing by auto zone and check the code out. Glad another va person Is here!

Doc

Dec 4, 2020
Truck Year
Hey Tremper126,
I hope you are doing well. Well the saga continues! This morning when I was heading to Walmart I got the dreaded warnings.

1.) Exhaust Filter 100% Full Service Required See Dealer
2.) Service Electronic Throttle Control

I can't do anything about #1; however, I plan to clean my throttle body tomorrow morning (#2). The following video gave me the confidence to attack it.

Is there any additives that I can use for carbon build up? I use BG 44K in my gasoline engines.

Take care,
D-

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Other than your recent highway usage, are you a stop and go short trip driver or do you have a decent commute to work? I’d get a scan tool reader and check to see what code your getting

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Go With ALFAOBD, you can thank Me later, or wished you did.

Doc

Dec 4, 2020
Truck Year
Other than your recent highway usage, are you a stop and go short trip driver or do you have a decent commute to work? I’d get a scan tool reader and check to see what code your getting

Surprisingly in Norther VA, I'm not. I mainly drive my truck around Bristow (a few miles in this direction and a few miles in the other). She often sits a couple of days during the week due to working remotely and the kids virtual learning.

Thanks,
D-

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Plus this ALFA is Just the software for 49.00 you also need this, the green one works but is dictated to only certain vehicles and parameters
1609158109159.png1609158109159.png

Micahbarnard

Dec 25, 2020
Truck Year
Surprisingly in Norther VA, I'm not. I mainly drive my truck around Bristow (a few miles in this direction and a few miles in the other). She often sits a couple of days during the week due to working remotely and the kids virtual learning.

Thanks,
D-
Unfortunately, the EcoDiesel doesn’t operate as well for short run driving habits. It’s kinda built for long haul driving (ie. DPF regens at highway speed only, engine takes a long time to warm up and get to maximum efficiency) if I did primarily short run driving the 3.0 would probably not be my preference. Although I do love mine; I drive a lot. If your doing nearly all short run driving you will probably have constant trouble with getting regens.

Doc

Dec 4, 2020
Truck Year
Unfortunately, the EcoDiesel doesn’t operate as well for short run driving habits. It’s kinda built for long haul driving (ie. DPF regens at highway speed only, engine takes a long time to warm up and get to maximum efficiency) if I did primarily short run driving the 3.0 would probably not be my preference. Although I do love mine; I drive a lot. If your doing nearly all short run driving you will probably have constant trouble with getting regens.
WOW! I wish I knew this before I purchased the truck. I guess I should begin looking at "gasoline" engine trucks. Thanks again for the very helpful information.

Happy New Year!
D-

Doc

Dec 4, 2020
Truck Year
Happy Holidays Everyone,
I am so frustrated with my 2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel due to the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) coming on every few thousand miles.

My day (December 26th) was going smoothly until I went to fill up at the BP gas station in which the MIL came on upon leaving. It's still on! However, I proceeded to run to Williamsburg, VA to briefly see my family (for the holidays) and to drop off Christmas presents. She drove very well. I actually averaged 25.4 MPG doing 79 - 82 MPH on I-95 and I-64. Thus, I have no complaints regarding the MPG and drivability but the MIL is very, very annoying!

I previously owned a 2006 Ford 150 Harley Davidson Edition and the "check engine" light came on twice in 14 years! She was a very good truck. Unfortunately, she rusted out. I hate rust!

Quick facts about my 2016 Ram 1500...She has 86000 miles (not all mine as I am not the original owner) and had a recent oil and filter change, fuel filter change, latest Ram updates...Essentially, she is well maintained and well kept. All my maintenance was and is done by Lindsey Dodge in Manassas, VA. Matter of fact, I scheduled an appointment with Lindsey Dodge to have the MIL diagnosed.

This is my first diesel engine and I am amazed how sensitive the engines are! Part of me want to trade it in for another truck due to the MIL; however, the other part of me has a bond with the truck. In my opinion, all trucks have there issues.

I welcome any thoughts you may have.

Any who, take care and enjoy your holidays!

D-
Hello,
I wanted to provide an update. First and most important, everything is covered under warranty :) Apparently, an "exhaust sensor" went bad and is currently being replaced. That was the cause for the MIL and the two other notices (#1 & 2). However, I am strongly considering getting a "gasoline" engine based on the comment further down.

Take care,
D-