• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

mileage drop

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Not much you can do at this point, as tuning is very hard to come by. Really, wait for an official fix from FCA, get emissions complaint tuning, or sell it. :(

SouthernWolf

Oct 29, 2019
Truck Year
Howdy Folks, I'm Southern Wolf, with a 2015 Ram Ecodiesel, Laramie Edition, Crew Cab, 4x4 with 4 corner air suspension and 354 gears. Love the pickup, but became somewhat disappointed after that mandated EPA update.
Previous fuel economy was a solid 21 - 23 city, 26 - 27 back roads, (you know, those Sunday drives with my wife :) ) and 28.8 - 29.5+ MPG's Interstate on a 350 mile one-way trip, and even sometimes butting head winds, according to the Lie-o-meter, so I did the math. It was typically within 1/10 of a mpg of being correct. Yep, I was living the dream, walking in tall cotton. Then EPA got their noses in on the action. Now I'm lucky to see 25 mpg at any time. I typically get 24+ MPG. Grrrr!

Did I mention, I Love the truck, except;
1. that pesky lag in the throttle response ( I thought it was turbo lag, but not exactly sure), but worse in summer than in winter.
2. Auto trans being set up for gas burners, (meaning the trans up-shifts too slow running engine RPM's too high and downshifts way, way too soon again, constantly running engine RPM's way to high for efficient diesel torque-curve operation...).
3. fuel economy tanked after update,
4. and now I (periodically) smell exhaust in the cab.

I've read many reviews on many items. But in reality - everyone makes the same claims with seemingly only the paragraphs rearranged.
So here I am, looking for real world solutions on overall drivability, and economy while leaving everything in place on the engine, (at least for the time being). I especially want to address that gasser tuned automatic transmission. That thing sucks behind a diesel. I'm not saying it's a bad trans, just that it's tuned for high rpm shifting gas burners. Dodge has had the similar issue's since first putting the Cummins in front of an Automatic back in the 80's. only then if you were stopped and romped on it - the trans wouldn't shift out of first until you let off the throttle. Eaton and Cummins got it right in the semi's, way can't dodge? Keep the rpm's in the torque-curve! Unless your trying to go mach-2 with your hair on fire, LOL
Anyone that's ever driven a diesel especially with a CAT or Cummins with a standard trans knows exactly how a diesel should be operated. having said that, with an Automatic Trans I want fast, solid upshifts and slow to down-shift keeping the engine in it's torque-curve (1,450 - 2,000 RPM's max) for that typical low RPM pulling operation. I'm fine with hammering down to pass and dropping a gear or two. It's running empty and no trailer with that constantly downshifting on every grade change and the RPM's in the 2,200 - 2,500 rpm range that chaps my flaps.
Looking forward to all your positive feedbacks. Did I mention I love the truck? LOL. Have a great evening!

growleycrowley

Aug 8, 2019
Truck Year
I know exactly how you feel, I feel the same way, love my truck. In June with 85,000 miles took it in for the update, no issues before that, up to 28 mpg on highway trips, I have a lake house that is about 200 miles one way, 140 highway, 60 2-lane. I tow couple times year a 19' bass boat single axle trailer or large heavy double axle trailer with 6 seater UTV, no issues. Haven't towed either since update, but MPG have dropped. Seemed just easier in some situations to just shift out of overdrive. Just received email with my settlement claim today, wanting to confirm receipt of $3075 and confirmation warranty extended to 120,000 miles. My truck has been at the dealer for better than 3 weeks, fuel system regen, fuel filter, couple of other pieces and yesterday was told next step is injectors. Before CEL came was running awesome, 25.5 mpg at 80 mph from lake house. This has to be simply a program update to system that it wasn't deigned for, just away to satisfy the EPA. Think I will collect my $, drive thru my 120,000 miles, by then the gen 3 will be in service long enough to see what, if any problems they have and buy new again. Lesson learned, never buy 1st generation, but was dying for diesel power in 1/2 ton platform.

hossman

Oct 3, 2019
Truck Year
Howdy Folks, I'm Southern Wolf, with a 2015 Ram Ecodiesel, Laramie Edition, Crew Cab, 4x4 with 4 corner air suspension and 354 gears. Love the pickup, but became somewhat disappointed after that mandated EPA update.
Previous fuel economy was a solid 21 - 23 city, 26 - 27 back roads, (you know, those Sunday drives with my wife :) ) and 28.8 - 29.5+ MPG's Interstate on a 350 mile one-way trip, and even sometimes butting head winds, according to the Lie-o-meter, so I did the math. It was typically within 1/10 of a mpg of being correct. Yep, I was living the dream, walking in tall cotton. Then EPA got their noses in on the action. Now I'm lucky to see 25 mpg at any time. I typically get 24+ MPG. Grrrr!

Did I mention, I Love the truck, except;
1. that pesky lag in the throttle response ( I thought it was turbo lag, but not exactly sure), but worse in summer than in winter.
2. Auto trans being set up for gas burners, (meaning the trans up-shifts too slow running engine RPM's too high and downshifts way, way too soon again, constantly running engine RPM's way to high for efficient diesel torque-curve operation...).
3. fuel economy tanked after update,
4. and now I (periodically) smell exhaust in the cab.

I've read many reviews on many items. But in reality - everyone makes the same claims with seemingly only the paragraphs rearranged.
So here I am, looking for real world solutions on overall drivability, and economy while leaving everything in place on the engine, (at least for the time being). I especially want to address that gasser tuned automatic transmission. That thing sucks behind a diesel. I'm not saying it's a bad trans, just that it's tuned for high rpm shifting gas burners. Dodge has had the similar issue's since first putting the Cummins in front of an Automatic back in the 80's. only then if you were stopped and romped on it - the trans wouldn't shift out of first until you let off the throttle. Eaton and Cummins got it right in the semi's, way can't dodge? Keep the rpm's in the torque-curve! Unless your trying to go mach-2 with your hair on fire, LOL
Anyone that's ever driven a diesel especially with a CAT or Cummins with a standard trans knows exactly how a diesel should be operated. having said that, with an Automatic Trans I want fast, solid upshifts and slow to down-shift keeping the engine in it's torque-curve (1,450 - 2,000 RPM's max) for that typical low RPM pulling operation. I'm fine with hammering down to pass and dropping a gear or two. It's running empty and no trailer with that constantly downshifting on every grade change and the RPM's in the 2,200 - 2,500 rpm range that chaps my flaps.
Looking forward to all your positive feedbacks. Did I mention I love the truck? LOL. Have a great evening!
Delete kit, you’ll have more horse, better fuel mileage and more torque than you ever did before

SouthernWolf

Oct 29, 2019
Truck Year
Delete kit, you’ll have more horse, better fuel mileage and more torque than you ever did before
I know your correct except I'm not willing to suffer possible State and Federal fines and having to put all that junk back on. $$$$$
I 100% support anyone that isn't rolling coal and have all that EPA crap deleted, but to often, those that do the delete, also have programmers that roll-smoke. I just want my diesel to have good throttle response, power on demand, and fuel efficient economy when I'm just rolling down the road.

growleycrowley

Aug 8, 2019
Truck Year
other threads suggest then Green Diesel Engineering or I been reading on Stealth Performance to add on, plug and play

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
that plug and play crap is a waste of money its like putting a band aid on a cut throat

Dobzy

Dec 21, 2019
Truck Year
I’m the same guys I was getting ( sorry I’m in km) 9to 9.5 liters per 100 km and after update 12-13 ...unreal

-STIGLITZ-

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
I know your correct except I'm not willing to suffer possible State and Federal fines and having to put all that junk back on. $$$$$
I 100% support anyone that isn't rolling coal and have all that EPA crap deleted, but to often, those that do the delete, also have programmers that roll-smoke. I just want my diesel to have good throttle response, power on demand, and fuel efficient economy when I'm just rolling down the road.

There are a number of Tuners out there that’ll get you where you want. As CarlHenry will tell you, there are a few brave Canadian Tuners serving U.S customers. After tuning and deleting, I have zero issues with the transmission and, believe me, I was right there with you on the trans issue. As for the EPA fines, not sure how they’d know if your state of residence doesn’t test for emissions. Additionally, my average mpg went from 18 to 24 city and 21ish to 28+ interstate, for what it’s worth.

s57belair

Oct 24, 2019
Truck Year
There are a number of Tuners out there that’ll get you where you want. As CarlHenry will tell you, there are a few brave Canadian Tuners serving U.S customers. After tuning and deleting, I have zero issues with the transmission and, believe me, I was right there with you on the trans issue. As for the EPA fines, not sure how they’d know if your state of residence doesn’t test for emissions. Additionally, my average mpg went from 18 to 24 city and 21ish to 28+ interstate, for what it’s worth.
what Turner did you use! thank you