• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

MPG lower while using cruise control

Reimaster

Dec 26, 2016
Truck Year
I get better gas mileage by foot rather than cruise. Seems I can get the the transmission to downshift by foot at the same speed the cruise wants to keep the RPMs up.
I also do too much around town driving causing the need for regeneration. Notice a significant drop in mpg just before a regen occurs. So it seems to me that if you are starting off a trip with an exhaust filter that is dirtier than a previous trip, this could account for variations in MPG.

Reimaster

Dec 26, 2016
Truck Year
How can you tell when regeneration occurs? I don't notice any change in anything but I can see I'm slowly consuming the DEF. I've thought about getting one of those devices that tells you when it's happening and can also activate a regeneration cycle. I like the idea of keeping the engine as clean as possible. However, we live in California and I'm afraid it might void the warentee.

BJE

Feb 18, 2017
Truck Year
When the regeneration cycle starts, or needs to start, the dash screen will show an alert indicating that the exhaust filter is 90% full, and indicates that you need to drive at highway speed for the regeneration. It takes about 10 minutes or so at 65-70mph. After 4200 miles mine has regenerated twice. I think it's because I have been driving primarily around town as of late.

Reimaster

Dec 26, 2016
Truck Year
We've had our Ram for a little over a year and I swear I've never seen this. Maybe it happens only when my wife drives our Ram. She's not looking over my shoulder right now so maybe I can blame her for not calling it to my attention or lack thereof!

John

Nov 13, 2015
The ecodiesel will regenerate every 70 - 200 miles depending on driving conditions. You will only get the EVIC notice after several failed regen attempts and it's your last chance to avoid going into limp mode and requiring a visit to your dealer for a forced regen. The regeneration will start at approx. 60% soot level with the factory tune.

The Edge Insight is one of the available monitors that will indicate when a regen is in progress. I believe it's the only monitor that will give the option of regen on demand. This device will have no effect on the manufacturers warranty as it's only a monitor and does not change the factory tune.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
When the regeneration cycle starts, or needs to start, the dash screen will show an alert indicating that the exhaust filter is 90% full, and indicates that you need to drive at highway speed for the regeneration. It takes about 10 minutes or so at 65-70mph. After 4200 miles mine has regenerated twice. I think it's because I have been driving primarily around town as of late.

not entirely true, most regenerations will occur and you won't even know it's happening, DEF consumption is not going to be noticeably different and the way the gauge reads on the DEF tank is not your typical float inside the tank. Regens on the ecodiesel occur every 30-50 miles of in town driving and 300-400 miles of highway driving depending on a lot of varying factors. When the exhaust filter reaches 80%-90% capacity without a full regen cycle occurring is when you see the message to drive to clean exhaust. I have an edge Insight CTS2 to monitor these things so I know when it's in regen, along with other things I like to monitor. It will not void your warranty as it is only a monitor that tells you what's going on with your engine. Also they are nice if you have a check engine light and you want to know what it's pertaining to before taking it in for service..

Reimaster

Dec 26, 2016
Truck Year
Hey everybody, thanx for all the good information. These forums are almost as good as a shop manual. As a matter of fact, this is the first diesel we've owned and the first vehicle that I did or rather have been unable to get a printed copy of the shop repair manual. I've noticed that I can get a CD that costs about $230.00 but the info I've seen online indicates the CD's only contain limited data. I've always felt that even if you don't do your own work, knowing how your vehicle functions makes you a more knowledgeable owner and consumer. I guess I'll eventually spring for a CD but being a "book guy," this kind of annoys me.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Hey everybody, thanx for all the good information. These forums are almost as good as a shop manual. As a matter of fact, this is the first diesel we've owned and the first vehicle that I did or rather have been unable to get a printed copy of the shop repair manual. I've noticed that I can get a CD that costs about $230.00 but the info I've seen online indicates the CD's only contain limited data. I've always felt that even if you don't do your own work, knowing how your vehicle functions makes you a more knowledgeable owner and consumer. I guess I'll eventually spring for a CD but being a "book guy," this kind of annoys me.

Is this the CD you're referring to?

https://www.techauthority.com/en-us/products/81-370-16075-CD

gawoods

Aug 21, 2016
Truck Year
How can you tell when regeneration occurs? I don't notice any change in anything but I can see I'm slowly consuming the DEF. I've thought about getting one of those devices that tells you when it's happening and can also activate a regeneration cycle. I like the idea of keeping the engine as clean as possible. However, we live in California and I'm afraid it might void the warentee.
https://www.carid.com/2016-ram-1500-performance-chips/edge-insight-cs2-cts2-monitor-315971664.html

2016 1500 Laramie Longhorn EcoDiesel