• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need Advice, Truck in limp mode

AndyT-GA

Aug 7, 2019
Truck Year
2015 Ram 85,000 miles all stock.

7 days ago Saturday: I added a SFT ECM tuner. Copied TCM original file. Everything runs great. Put maybe 20 miles on truck.
Sunday: Didn't drive truck.
Monday: Drove to work 80 miles round trip. Emailed SFT the TCM file. Truck drove great. Already seeing the fuel mileage increase.
Tuesday: Drove to work 80 miles round trip. I receive tuned TCM file. Loaded new file. Truck drives even better. Removed EGR tube and installed blocking plates and connected a CCV catch can during lunch break. Drove home.
Wednesday: Drove to work 80 miles round trip. Also went to a test field 45 miles round trip. Truck drove great but coworker following me said they saw some white smoke come out off exhaust when leaving red lights.
Thursday: Drive to work. 40 miles. Coming home from work cruise is set at 72 mph and I am coming up a hill. I hear a sound like an intake boot has blew off, the truck starts losing power and Service Electronic Throttle Control message comes up. I am at my exit so I get off highway and pull into parking lot. I leave the truck running and open hood to look for hose blown off. I can't find anything wrong. Scared to shut it off, I drive the rest of the way home. 25 miles. Truck sounds fine at idle and has power until about 1500 to 1600 rpm then just falls on it's face. Max rpms I could get was 3000. You can hear the turbo spool up but it feels like you have half power.

At Home:
I take out the MAP sensor and clean with CRC electronic parts cleaner. It was dirty. No change.
I check MAF sensor wiring and grid. Seems OK.
I reinstall EGR tube and disconnect CCV catch can. Reinstall original ECM and TCM files. Start engine. Warning light is gone. OK maybe good now. Go for test drive.
Worse now. The truck stumbles, misfires and bucks the whole truck. If you keep foot on the gas, it finally smoothed up, turbo spooled and took off for about 2 seconds then the Service Electronic Throttle Control message comes on again with a P0299 check engine light. P0299 is Turbo low boost. I limp back to the house and park.

Now I need some advice on what to check or what to do.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks in advance.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
I'm thinking you should follow your thought on the " hear a sound like an intake boot blew off"
Check your charge air cooler lines

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
Ecopete thanks for the suggestion to keep looking.
Hey no problem, I thought you had pretty much diagnosed the problem already, but you were likely worried that the tune caused something! And maybe the extra boost did! Did you put the baffle back in to fix it?

AndyT-GA

Aug 7, 2019
Truck Year
Yeah reinstalled intake baffle. I think the hose I used didn’t like all the oil that comes from the CCV. It was starting to deteriorate the inside of the hose. I think I am going to order some silicone hose and connect the catch can now that I have the tune on there.