• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New ED owner.

CSIMPSON

Feb 19, 2019
Truck Year
First post and new to the diesel world. I've had my 2015 Crew Cab for a little over a month now and bought it with 57,000 miles on it. I live in the mountains at 6,200 ft / 1,896 meters and work at 1,000 ft / 304 meters. 20 miles one way, a little over 5,000 ft / 1,524 m gain / loss 7-8 times a week. Best I've gotten is 566 miles out of 1 tank with an average of 21.9. My RPM's are high on the VERY steep 2 mile descent. About 2,500 to 3,400 depending on how hard I ride the brake which is very much needed. The rest of the 13 mile descent is quite mellow until I hit flatland then it's cruising long stretches of road for 5 miles until I hit the stoplights. By then I'm at work. The uphill drops my average to about 19.0 with the steeps maxing out RPM's to about 3200 - 3400 until it shifts. 1800 - 2000 is normal for the duration of the climb which takes about 30 min. I've never been able to notice a regen. No smell, no nothing. I do monitor my temps, oil life / pressure, coolant & DEF, which I've noticed has been getting used so I know regens have been taking place. My oil life shows 75% but I'm planning to change it at 25% due to the engine working harder on the climbs. I use fuel additive with each fill up (8 oz diesel kleen per). Engine starts just fine at 20F / -7C without being plugged in. For all those who are curious, I live in the mountains of Southern California.

Can anyone offer any advice on care / maintenance? I've read this forum and all your posts about engine failure / glow plug issues / DPF cloggs freak me the F**K out.

Note; GDE tune is not legal in California but am considering the Banks Derringer. Feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited:

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
I think Carl Henry is right.

But the GDE tuned truck will pass emissions in California according to others on the site. So I would install the GDE tune and then clean the MAP sensor which is up on your intake. I think it comes out with two 10mm bolts. They sell MAF sensor cleaner at the parts store. Your mileage will go up and you will have a much better truck. Did you get an extended warranty on your truck?

greendieselengineering.com

CSIMPSON

Feb 19, 2019
Truck Year
Everything is illegal here in California which is why I moved to the mountains. I can do whatever the hell I want (almost).

The extended warranty came with the purchase. If I did install the GDE, wouldn't it flash the ECU which would void the warranty? I'd really like to install that tune.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Everything is illegal here in California which is why I moved to the mountains. I can do whatever the hell I want (almost).

The extended warranty came with the purchase. If I did install the GDE, wouldn't it flash the ECU which would void the warranty? I'd really like to install that tune.
it is actually a replacement ECM for the truck. You pop out the old one and put in the new one. Your dealer does not have a software expert on hand to do a forensic analysis of the code. All the file names, file version dates etc. are all the same.

Oil changes by the minder are good, if you get the GDE tune. If not, as heavily as this oil is sooted up, i would change it at 5k miles. I might do a flush (1 quart of tranny fluid) in the oil for 100 miles just to desoot it.

Last edited: