• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New intake manifold due to soot and swirl valve. Gde tune next?

insomniac911

Dec 28, 2022
Truck Year
Hello. New to the group but I've been reading many post. My 2014 ram 1500 ecodiesel is currently at the dealer getting a new intake manifold replaced due to faulty swirl valve. I assume due to all the soot problems. They also said I need to replace the ECM due to bank 1 faulty reading code (the o2 sensor was already replaced) My truck has 160,000 miles so I am not worried about warranty issues. I opted out of replacing the ECM with the idea that a GDE tune would be better at this point. I thought from the reading here that the GDE tunes bypass the egr. I contacted GDE and they stated that was illegal and thier product "does not" do this. Am I missing something? Did I ask them a question they felt was an EPA test? Would I be right to switch to the GDE tune at this point rather than a dealer installed ECM? Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
GDE only sells the EPA Compliant Tune. Their old tune disabled the EGR. I have the GDE EPA Compliant tune and love it. I would highly recommend it.

ericshup

Oct 8, 2021
Truck Year
Same story as the OP, 2015 Ecodiesel 135k miles, and I also just got a new manifold due to the swirl valve. Is the GDE compliant hot tune worth it with 135k already on the odometer?

They have them on sale right now with the transmission tune for $995

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Same story as the OP, 2015 Ecodiesel 135k miles, and I also just got a new manifold due to the swirl valve. Is the GDE compliant hot tune worth it with 135k already on the odometer?

They have them on sale right now with the transmission tune for $995

In my opinion, the GDE tune is worth it just for the performance alone. I installed the GDE tune at 93,000 miles (two years ago) and haven't had any issues. The truck runs great, the bump in fuel economy will eventually pay for the tune, and you are getting a much cleaner combustion. It's a win/win.