• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Member, Jim, 2021 1500 ECO-diesel.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Looking for ways to improve mileage, although I routinely get 30 MPG on freeways.
Welcome
Not sure how you can improve 30mpg. You are doing very well.

My tuned 2016 Eco has never seen 24mpg except for the one time in 2016, before being tuned, I got 25.77mpg on a 303 mile freeway stretch at 65-70mph. I'm not complaining as my mods are not mileage friendly. It has 3.55 gearing, is leveled, runs on 285x70-17" 10 ply offroad tires, a Ranch Hand grille guard, a Leer shell, no front air dam, and always carries about 3-400 lbs of gear. All of the above takes away mileage. I drive sane and get 17-18mpg local and 21-22 mpg freeway @ 65-75mph. All in all, it's a great truck and engine.

There are a lot of owners reporting high mileage, some hard to believe. Many do not hand calculate and believe the EVIC which is rarely exact. I read of one owner who reported 35mpg on the highway and locally. when he was challenged it turned out that he was quoting the EVIC. He was badgered so bad he took it to the dealer for validation. Turned out his EVIC was very inaccurate.

I know I haven't helped with your request. maybe there will be some replies that offer you advice and ways to increase your mileage. Whatever you try, keep us posted. Good luck.

2021Ram

Jan 15, 2023
Truck Year
Welcome
Not sure how you can improve 30mpg. You are doing very well.

My tuned 2016 Eco has never seen 24mpg except for the one time in 2016, before being tuned, I got 25.77mpg on a 303 mile freeway stretch at 65-70mph. I'm not complaining as my mods are not mileage friendly. It has 3.55 gearing, is leveled, runs on 285x70-17" 10 ply offroad tires, a Ranch Hand grille guard, a Leer shell, no front air dam, and always carries about 3-400 lbs of gear. All of the above takes away mileage. I drive sane and get 17-18mpg local and 21-22 mpg freeway @ 65-75mph. All in all, it's a great truck and engine.

There are a lot of owners reporting high mileage, some hard to believe. Many do not hand calculate and believe the EVIC which is rarely exact. I read of one owner who reported 35mpg on the highway and locally. when he was challenged it turned out that he was quoting the EVIC. He was badgered so bad he took it to the dealer for validation. Turned out his EVIC was very inaccurate.

I know I haven't helped with your request. maybe there will be some replies that offer you advice and ways to increase your mileage. Whatever you try, keep us posted. Good luck.
Great info thank you. I drive 250 miles each way, on a round trip form L.A. area to Fort Mohave AZ. I am pretty conservative. Easy on the acceleration, speed limit around town, and 75 once out of the big city. My best, using "fill tank" note milage, "refill tank, and figure actual miles driven with the number of gallons used. 1 trip outbound I had "very" strong tail wind that I estimated at around 50 MPH tailwind. Mileage was 36.2. 1 time only. Most trips are 28 to 31+/-. Around town though it.s 17/19. I too carry about 300# of tools always. Stock tires at 40-41 PSI, cruise control always even around town. After many checks I get better milage with cruise. I have considered side skirts similar to what semi's use, but haven't pulled the trigger. I am veery happy, but with inflation if I can do better I want to. Nice chatting with you. Jim

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
That's a good run to Mohave. I haven't done it from LA but from San Diego to Kingman.
Sound like you are doing everything right to conserve fuel. I too, do better on cruise.
I seems like the newer Ecos do better than the older ones, you've got a good one.
Side skirts is an interesting idea. How or where would you mount them? Not sure I would like the look.

2021Ram

Jan 15, 2023
Truck Year
I am 3rd generation San Diegan. Lived in El Cajon, Normal Heights, On Texas ST. and worked in the FAA control facility on Miramar Rd. My plan is a 7 foot piece of 1 1/4" angle iron. mounted to the side steps brackets. Then use a heavy duty flexible material similar to what is used to separate cool rooms from the outside but allows fork lifts to pas through easily. The steel portion is easy. Finding the plastic is a challenge so far. Want to use used
material to keep the costs down, in case it doesn't work. J

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Well, glad to meet you. I was born a second generation in San Diego, raised in Chula Vista, and lived in Escondido, Orange (Orange County), and Bonita since 1976. Love it here and the weather, can't stand the woke politics. Would move except my entire family is here and at 89 I haven't energy.

Your idea sounds reasonable and may be effective. I didn't understand the " but allows fork lifts to pas through easily" part. How are forklifts involved?

2021Ram

Jan 15, 2023
Truck Year
I was trying to describe the material used in areas where you have different temperatures. Such as a cols storage room where food products are moved in and out of the cool area. Fork lifts would be used to quickly move product from a cool storage thought these panels to say a "truck" that is cooled for transport. Or vice verso from a cold storage truck into a processing plant. That way you aren't always opening and closing doors that take a while to operate. The drive through method is quick and efficient.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I was trying to describe the material used in areas where you have different temperatures. Such as a cols storage room where food products are moved in and out of the cool area. Fork lifts would be used to quickly move product from a cool storage thought these panels to say a "truck" that is cooled for transport. Or vice verso from a cold storage truck into a processing plant. That way you aren't always opening and closing doors that take a while to operate. The drive through method is quick and efficient.
Gotcha - thanks